Is it just me or...

J

JDmsz

Audioholic Intern
I see a lot of people praise Audyssey improving their speaker sound quality performance but in my case my 5.2 system sounds better when it's off for music. I prefer using the GEQ when listening to music. I turn Audyssey on during movies though because I noticed I get more dynamic effects coming through the surround speakers.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don’t like any room EQ.

Never heard an EQ (Dirac, ARC, Audyssey, YPOA, Lyngdorf) that actually made the sound better than Bypass/Through mode even when the room response looked better.

As with all things, YMMV.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Curious, what didn't you like about Audyssey with music? What kind of music? Did you use DynamicEQ with music? Did you adjust it with Reference Level Offset? What GEQ settings do it for you with music?

ps one more question, was this in multich modes for music or 2ch?

pps Personally sometimes it's on, sometimes it's not, sometimes it's in the Bypass L/R mode....sometimes multich, sometimes 2ch....if not loud then DEQ is often in use (and adjusted for music with RLO).

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I turned audyssey off in my two channel setup and went manual as I do with my systems with subs. Audyssey does very little good above 300hz as with most REQ systems.

J

JDmsz

Audioholic Intern
Curious, what didn't you like about Audyssey with music? What kind of music? Did you use DynamicEQ with music? Did you adjust it with Reference Level Offset? What GEQ settings do it for you with music?

ps one more question, was this in multich modes for music or 2ch?
After audyssey the levels on the speakers would be too loud like the speakers are pushing too hard for more power and i typically listen to a lot of African house lounge type of music. So basically there is a lot of tight bass involved. While for the bass after audyssey is too boomy. Yeah i do have all my speakers set to small at 80 hz but 60hz sound a little cleaner but its still boomy. I do have decent subs which are dual svs sb12nsd. Reference setting is too harsh and makes the sub boomy, flat setting make the speakers sound thin and L/R bypass is okay but makes the towers too boomy. I do switch it up a bit between stereo and multi ch. (depends on what I'm in the mood for tbh)

When I turned everything off and just use the GEQ, i can actually hear clarity across all the speakers not having it sound muddy while i just dial in the sub by ear to my liking. I do set the front tower speaker to Large because it just sounds better imo. The small setting sounds to thin for my liking.

Overall my system is a denon x4200w, polk audio lsim707 with the 706c center channel and 703 surround bookshelves. I am using a emotiva basx a300 for the towers.

I do have another 5 channel listening space in my bed room too which are the polk tsx series and it sounds better without room correction as well.

I only calibrate the speakers using the levels and distances and sometimes for the sub too just to get a jump start on the db levels across the room.

J

JDmsz

Audioholic Intern

Never heard an EQ (Dirac, ARC, Audyssey, YPOA, Lyngdorf) that actually made the sound better than Bypass/Through mode even when the room response looked better.

As with all things, YMMV.
I thought ARC was supposed to be the best REQ. Was planning to buy a Anthem AVR or maybe a Pre-Pro when they come out with a new lineup with HDMI 2.1 implemented.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I thought ARC was supposed to be the best REQ. Was planning to buy a Anthem AVR or maybe a Pre-Pro when they come out with a new lineup with HDMI 2.1 implemented.
Take home message - everyone has the right to think they have the best REQ. :D

If any ONE thing is in fact “the best”, then EVERYONE would use it.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If any ONE thing is in fact “the best”, then EVERYONE would use it.
Not necessarily. Many times in the past inferior technologies have prevailed based on mistaken consumer perception among other factors. Your statement assumes that everyone is well-informed. It should go without saying around these parts that is rarely the case.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
After audyssey the levels on the speakers would be too loud like the speakers are pushing too hard for more power and i typically listen to a lot of African house lounge type of music. So basically there is a lot of tight bass involved. While for the bass after audyssey is too boomy. Yeah i do have all my speakers set to small at 80 hz but 60hz sound a little cleaner but its still boomy. I do have decent subs which are dual svs sb12nsd. Reference setting is too harsh and makes the sub boomy, flat setting make the speakers sound thin and L/R bypass is okay but makes the towers too boomy. I do switch it up a bit between stereo and multi ch. (depends on what I'm in the mood for tbh)

When I turned everything off and just use the GEQ, i can actually hear clarity across all the speakers not having it sound muddy while i just dial in the sub by ear to my liking. I do set the front tower speaker to Large because it just sounds better imo. The small setting sounds to thin for my liking.

Overall my system is a denon x4200w, polk audio lsim707 with the 706c center channel and 703 surround bookshelves. I am using a emotiva basx a300 for the towers.

I do have another 5 channel listening space in my bed room too which are the polk tsx series and it sounds better without room correction as well.

I only calibrate the speakers using the levels and distances and sometimes for the sub too just to get a jump start on the db levels across the room.
Interesting. Which speakers seemed like elevated levels? Surrounds? Could always just reduce the channel level a bit. Generally Audyssey does not recommend lowering a crossover set during setup, raising it is okay, tho. Boomy subs usually relate to sub setup more than Audyssey particularly IME, how did you choose placement? All reference does is roll off the highs a bit (aka movie setting), shouldn't change bass. In any case it's all about preference, YMMV.

I was more curious about the particular GEQ settings per band as to what you like. If you use large on the mains are you also using LFE + Main mode or just LFE?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Not necessarily. Many times in the past inferior technologies have prevailed based on mistaken consumer perception among other factors. Your statement assumes that everyone is well-informed. It should go without saying around these parts that is rarely the case.
I got three words for ya shady...
L. C. D.

J

JDmsz

Audioholic Intern
Interesting. Which speakers seemed like elevated levels? Surrounds? Could always just reduce the channel level a bit. Generally Audyssey does not recommend lowering a crossover set during setup, raising it is okay, tho. Boomy subs usually relate to sub setup more than Audyssey particularly IME, how did you choose placement? All reference does is roll off the highs a bit (aka movie setting), shouldn't change bass. In any case it's all about preference, YMMV.

I was more curious about the particular GEQ settings per band as to what you like. If you use large on the mains are you also using LFE + Main mode or just LFE?
My towers and surrounds be extraordinary loud on the reference setting and it's fatiguing to the ear after 20 minutes or so. Yeah I could always just lower the ch levels but the sound coming out of the speakers just seems forced if you know what I mean. The drivers are working harder when I put Audyssey eq on than using the GEQ. Setting my own eq band makes the speaker sound more controlled and the bass is tighter.

My subs are placed in between my speakers instead o the outside.

However I'm using LFE+main.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Curious. I think HD asked but I didn’t see. What sound mode are you using? Stereo, all channel stereo, plii music etc. I’ve never had good luck with Deq on, as it runs the surrounds too hot, and most of the time bass is over cooked( but sometimes I do like it for bass). All channel modes are obnoxious and seem to run my surrounds louder than the fronts so I never use those.
Just wondering is all.

J

JDmsz

Audioholic Intern
Curious. I think HD asked but I didn’t see. What sound mode are you using? Stereo, all channel stereo, plii music etc. I’ve never had good luck with Deq on, as it runs the surrounds too hot, and most of the time bass is over cooked( but sometimes I do like it for bass). All channel modes are obnoxious and seem to run my surrounds louder than the fronts so I never use those.
Just wondering is all.
I use stereo and sometimes multi ch stereo depending on the mood I'm for. The multi ch sounds good to me. I just use the channel trim level to match the front stage but I do turn down the center channel since it seems to hog 70% of the sound.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Audyssey is not a silver bullet that will solve all problems, but at least in my case Audyssey XT32 certainly improves the sound in general as the possible placement of speakers (LCR, surround) and subwoofers is very limited along with a difficult room.

Audyssey is quite picky with respect to measurements locations, and "where did the bass go" has happened to me more than once.

Is it a placebo effect as one poster suggest? When I toggle XT32 on/off from my remote control the effect is obvious, but not for all types of content and it is not an improvement for all content either.

My preference is to have an excellent room with total freedom where to place speakers/subwooofers/room treatment, but alas, life is hard and then you die.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
So, when your surrounds are -6db compared to your fronts because they are simply less efficient, or farther away, you don't think that EQing the level is a plus?

Because that's exactly the scenario the OP seems to be describing.

You could only be referring to attempting to flatten out an individual speaker; which I don't necessarily agree with; but which is a much more nuanced stance than opposing all EQ.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I use stereo and sometimes multi ch stereo depending on the mood I'm for. The multi ch sounds good to me. I just use the channel trim level to match the front stage but I do turn down the center channel since it seems to hog 70% of the sound.
What multi channel are you talking about, typically when some say multi channel surround they refer to multi channel inputs from a player that outputs analog multi channel. My suggestion is always set the avr for auto play back for surrounds and stereo for music, aslo direct or pure. Everything thing else is gimmicky.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
So, when your surrounds are -6db compared to your fronts because they are simply less efficient, or farther away, you don't think that EQing the level is a plus?

Because that's exactly the scenario the OP seems to be describing.
I wouldn't include level matching in the EQ category.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis