stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I wanted to get a cost effective (read cheap) wallunit/storage for my home office, I go to Ikea's site, use their planning tool, design my own wall unit, so far so good. I print out the parts list and photo of unit, ok no problems. I get to the cart section and now it gets crazy, less than half of the items on parts list are available online, the other three quaters are sold through stores only. So I spent roughly an hour planning a wall unit that suffers from unobtanium syndrome, what gives? How can they have anything on their web catalog that's not available online? It's the most asinine thing I've ever seen in retail. The unit wasn't that cheap either, after I added most of the goodies it came in at about $1200.00, cheap as far a wall units go, but this isn't a custom made piece. This is my first experience with Ikea, they just opened in South FL.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Lots of places have websites that don't match what is actually available in the store, but IKEA is junk anyway. It is low cost because it is all particle board and laminate.

Now I don't know how large or involved your proposed wall unit design is but the one I had custom built and had previously posted pictures of was solid Oak and cost me $1300. The IKEA stuff will fall apart in a year whereas mine would likely outlive me.

I also have a custom desk that houses two computers (small form factor) and all my peripherals. It is 7 feet wide and 30" deep and it was still 'only' $1500. I should have made it much deeper because my long legs don't like to be so cramped but that is another story.

M

mudrummer99

Senior Audioholic
Is IKEA the Bose of furniture?
I wouldn't go that far. I have quite a bit of IKEA furniture due to limited cash flow (read recent college graduate) It is relatively inexpensive furniture that looks decent. Mostly made of particle board and vinyl veneers it is not high end at all but it serves the purpose. If I had a good paying job and a house would I decorate in IKEA? No, but since I live in an apartment and funds are budgeted it does the job. As long as you do a bit of shopping around you can find pretty well priced stuff but there is a lot of their merchandise that is over priced. When I get my HT to posting standards you can see what I have done with $300 worth of IKEA furniture.

Mike

Tarub

Tarub

Senior Audioholic
$1200 for wall unit from IKEA!! You should just get some of these for walls, floors, or ceilings and I think this are the best for you Strat. Very good nature quality.:D

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Lots of places have websites that don't match what is actually available in the store, but IKEA is junk anyway. It is low cost because it is all particle board and laminate.

Now I don't know how large or involved your proposed wall unit design is but the one I had custom built and had previously posted pictures of was solid Oak and cost me $1300. The IKEA stuff will fall apart in a year whereas mine would likely outlive me.

I also have a custom desk that houses two computers (small form factor) and all my peripherals. It is 7 feet wide and 30" deep and it was still 'only' $1500. I should have made it much deeper because my long legs don't like to be so cramped but that is another story.
I'm looking at 8 feet accross by 75" high about 18" deep, but I really haven't taken the time to draw it in scale and get it priced, I've been too lazy about it and I thought Ikea would be a quick fix, but I was wrong. I'll have to design and get it priced through my regular channels.

Senior Audioholic
Ikea is really hit and miss, they do have some higher end stuff that is quite nice and decent quality.

We have an Ikea table that has a very clever design that quickly changes from a four seater round to an oval that can sit six to eight.

Then again we have a bunch if their Balsa wood chairs that only can support an average ten year old with out breaking. They are cheap but they have discontinued our color so now we are kind of screwed...

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I wouldn't recommend ordering from the web page;). However without any doubt IKEA has many useful ideas for storage and organization for around the entire house. We have bought many helpful products from them and have had no issues with their build quality. Calling it junk IMO is a stretch! If the store is nearby I would suggest you check them out!

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis