Is Europe Finally Going HD?

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
I think that's probably one of the big differences at the moment - 'mainstream' programs appear to be available in HD
Here, most all major sporting events and the primetime TV lineup are broadcast in HD. The only primetime telecasts that are not in HD are a few 'reality' & 'news' shows. There is very little TV that I watch in recent years that isn't in HD.

Not sure I agree with your assessments/logic there.
Im not sure you really want to hear this, but here ya go. The UN virtually takes the leftist approach on every issue they face, and the reason you probably dont see the "leftness" of their approach is probably because you respect and agree with that approach. On the other hand, I would happily see the UN evicted from the USAs land & bankroll because I disagree with their approach to the issues. I realize they do perform some valuable aid functions, but beyond that.... the UN is for the most part....... worthless.

The criteria for calculating rankings included things that are pretty ambivalent to models of public/private ownership: life expectancy, education, income etc.
I am well aware of the criteria.

How so? That doesn't really map with the current UK political landscape.
Name an issue..... tax policy, abortion, gun control, socialized health care....etc, etc, etc....

Please dont misinterpret my point, because they're a great country & great ally and friend to the USA. I'm just trying to point out that they take the 'left' position on a great number of issues. So does the USA, but not on as many issues as the Brits. I'm not trying to knock on them because I have great respect for it's citizens and Tony Blair:D

B

Buckeye_Nut

Hm, I'm so amused by this highly inaccurate and ignorant invective that I don't know where to begin. :D

No, really. lol :rolleyes:
If you're going to toss insults, you should explain where you think my points are incorrect. Granted, some of the comments were made in jest, but there are underlying truths in what I stated. IE.... political reasons Europe is lagging behind in HD.

Last edited:
B

Buckeye_Nut

How so? That doesn't really map with the current UK political landscape. Both main parties are now largely center right, and the government has been introducing more and more 'capitalist' measures, such as the public private partnership scheme (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public-private_partnership). From what I've seen, the private companies involved have obtained valuable assets, having been heavily subsidised by the tax payer, not very left leaning...
You think heavy government intervention in the private sector & tax payer subsidies are
"not very left leaning"?

:confused:

To be a "Capitalist' measure, the feds would be required to get out of the private sector. IE....reduced regulation, intervention, taxation...etc, etc, etc are capitalist measures. The government intervention you commented on above......... is the exact opposite.

You stated that you believe GBs main parties lean center-RIGHT? I'd be interested if you can list a few political issues where the elected majority has sided on the conservative side of any issues. Except for GB standing firm with the US in Iraq(a biggie), you'll be pretty hard pressed to make a list of any significance. Whether they are social or economic hot-button issues, GB's elected majority stand on the left side of most issues.

And to think this entire discussion started with a simple question........... Why is Europe lagging behind in HD??
lol

Last edited:
S

sploo

Full Audioholic
...The UN virtually takes the leftist approach on every issue they face...
I agree with you on one point - the UN is pretty worthless.

But the reason for that is because the veto wielding countries can block any legislation they don't like. Because the US government has the power and inclination to do what it wants, to whom it wants, how it wants, this makes the UN pretty much irrelevant.

I have no position whatsoever on agreeing with/respecting their approach, as they cannot achieve anything worth judging without the support of the nation members.

I am well aware of the criteria.
I'll take your word for it. Though I wasn't aware that "Government owned oil" was something they ranked.

...I'm just trying to point out that they take the 'left' position on a great number of issues...
I (only slightly jokingly) noted in an earlier post that Bush/Cheney were slightly to the right of Genghis Khan.

I would certainly agree that right wing UK politics are to the left of US politics, but that would be true of most of major countries I can think of (i.e. most countries are to the left of the US).

...I'm not trying to knock on them because I have great respect for it's citizens and Tony Blair:D
And I thank you for it, but you're welcome to Blair, because most people in this country appear to think he's a weasel.

You think heavy government intervention in the private sector & tax payer subsidies are "not very left leaning"?
That would be very left leaning. But that's not what I said. The process of PPP is where previously publicly owned organisations are transferred across to private ownership. It's basically a smoke screen for privatisation.

BTW, I understand that the models of selling off publicly owned utility companies (electricity etc.) to private companies at knockdown prices was used by a previous UK government, and was then copied by the US. If memory serves me correctly, Greg Palast's excellent book "The Best Democracy Money Can Buy" has a particularly toe-curling account of the process, and how the guy on the street - i.e. you and me - got totally screwed by the deal.

EDIT: Incidentally, there was a program on UK TV a while back, with a right wing journalist/political commentator lamenting the fact that UK parties are all now fighting over the center right ground. Whilst he was very much to the right of most UK politics, his point was that a country needs the balance of left and right voices, in order to give the people a choice.

Last edited:
A

AdrianMills

Full Audioholic
If you're going to toss insults, you should explain where you think my points are incorrect.
Hm, I should I? Really? lol Damn, but your posts just get funnier.

Granted, some of the comments were made in jest, but there are underlying truths in what I stated. IE.... political reasons Europe is lagging behind in HD.
Political? Really? lol

B

Buckeye_Nut

I knew Mills would be incapable of responding with an intelligent rebuttal to substantiate his personal attack.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis