Is buying used better for my situation

D

DanH12

Junior Audioholic
I am thinking about buying used bookshelf speakers for a 5.1 setup but am wondering if I should buy used speakers that I can't demo. If I do craigslist I can demo the speakers but if I buy from audiogon or ebay I would not be able to do that. Is it worth the risk to buy higher end used speakers that I can't demo? I have a budget of roughly $1,000 and will be placing the speakers in a 1,230 cu.ft. room. This room is my parents' basement and in about six months I will be getting my own apartment somewhere. Initially I was going to spend $600 on a pair of new bookshelf speakers and build over time but it just might make more sense for me to buy used for now and then buy high end new down the road. I will be buying a new subwoofer with my budget as well. I will spend somewhere between $200-400 for the sub and the rest on speakers. I was thinking about getting the Hsu Stf-2 but might get a cheaper sub since I won't be able to crank it that loud in an apartment.

Another thing I was wondering is if I should wait until I move into an apartment to buy speakers for placement and space reasons. I really want to buy speakers now but am considering waiting.

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
If you buy used and get a decent deal, you use them for a while, then if you decide to upgrade, sell for what you paid and put the scratch towards some new speakers. Or you keep them forever.

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Hi, DanH :)

Well it seems as though you're really agonizing over this purchase. I understand. You want to get this right the first time. But I have a question for you: how much critical listening experience do you have?

The reason I ask is because a lot of what we pay for in the little bit higher price brackets is purely for looks. And if it's actually for sound, it's nuance and diminished returns. This is not to say there aren't seriously worthwhile improvements. But without a very good "base line" of critical listening experience, the worthwhile improvements aren't necessarily things that are going to jump out at you right away. It takes some experience to understand and appreciate some of these differences and without the experience behind you, you're strictly basing things on preference, which often has little to do with accuracy, and more to do with expectation or what you're already used to.

You've obviously got a keen interest in audio, which is awesome! But the $1000/pair bookshelf bracket is a VERY confusing place. And when you start into the used market for speakers that originally retailed for more than $1000/pair, it's truly best if you really know what you're doing.

If you're looking to frequently swap out speakers, then have at it! There's no better way to build your critical listening experience than by listening, listening, listening! But if you're looking to buy a pair of good bookshelf speakers and keep them for a while, here's what I'd recommend:

Get yourself a pair of Ascend CBM-170SE and a genuinely good subwoofer. It's not just about loud output with the sub, it's about accurate bass reproduction and being able to genuinely "tell it like it is" with any and every recording. Same goes for the speakers. When you have a keen interest in audio, but you're still learning how to listen critically and you're still building your library of experience, what you need most are highly accurate speakers that simply "tell it like it is". You get used to those speakers and that sub, and you'll be miles ahead when it comes to evaluating other speakers in the future! You'll be able to easily identify and appreciate what more expensive speakers are bringing to the table aside from just better looks.

It's a little like buying a Lamborghini before you've learned how to drive :p Who appreciates the performance of that car more? The kid who got it as his first car from a rich daddy? Or the guy who started with a Corvette, learned how to drive the hell out of it, and then clawed his way up each level of performance until he got to the genuine super cars? Who's gonna drive that Lambo better? Who's gonna understand what's going on under the hood better? Who would be better informed to make comparisons?

I'd take your $1000 budget and buy a pair of Ascend CBM-170SE and an HSU VTF-2 MK4. You get used to that 2.1 setup. You really learn how the tuning options of that subwoofer work, how to get a great blend with the speakers, how room placement affects both the subwoofer and the speakers. You drive the hell out of that rig! You do that, and you'll come to realize just how much more money you really have to spend before you'll hear genuinely BETTER speakers. You'll hear plenty of speakers that sound DIFFERENT. But not a whole lot that are purely BETTER all around. When you do find those better speakers, you'll understand WHY they're better. You'll know how to get the most out of them. And you'll appreciate them so much more than if you just try to "skip the line" right away.

Your keen interest should be rewarded. But it should be rewarded with real education and experience. Not just a prize that has a high dollar value, but not the understanding and critical senses to go along with it. Think of this speaker purchase more like buying tools than toys. If you ask a carpenter which tool is his most important, you might get a lot of different answers. But the carpenter you want to hire is the guy who says his most important tool is his level ;) In the long run, you'll be streets ahead :)

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
You have been thinking a lot about this stuff, since around July >
It seems like, that you really have a hard time making a decisison.
You have been giving a lot of good reccomendations. >> For now
at least give the Ascends a try, if you do not like them, then send
them back.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Why not just hold off buying anything right now. Your new neighbors may determine what speakers, if any, you can fully enjoy. Here's the big picture, your mindset is right now being forged. Be careful to not buy into the emotional appeals coming from marketers or their fans. Go to Best Buy's or any other audio retailer in your area and audition speakers you can afford, listening to your favorite CD's. Select a speaker design which sounds great at low volume, not just at high volume. Since you are using the store's most valuable assets, their time, inventory commitment, and knowledge, forget buying used or off the Internet; and, give the store your business. This will come back to serve you down the road with other audio/video needs and warranty issues if there are any.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I am thinking about buying used bookshelf speakers for a 5.1 setup but am wondering if I should buy used speakers that I can't demo....Is it worth the risk to buy higher end used speakers that I can't demo?
I'm a big proponent of used speakers; speakers can potentially last decades with some care taken, and you can get some fantastic values in the used segment. In fact, in my basement HT, all of my speakers except the subwoofer were used.

OTOH, I would never under any circumstances commit to buying a speaker blind. No matter how good the reviews and measurements are, there is no guarantee that any given pair of speakers will make you happy.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
If you live near a city of any king keep trolling Craigslist. I have found some real gems on CL....sometimes I just buy something because it is a good deal and I am curious to hear what a specific speaker sounds like. I always get a great deal and rarely loose money, heck sometime I have even made money when I resold it. If you are in no big hurry just keep looking and going to audition different people speakers.

If I was not going to go with CL, I would go with an ID company that gives you a free trial....probably something like mentioned above. Ascend seems to get nothing but rave reviews from their customers.

Good Luck!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis