Is a value DAC (under $200.00 ) worth it with a value Integrated Amp (under $750.00)?

J

JCanada

Audioholic
This forum has been a great help, so I am asking for advice once again. If I purchase a value integrated amplifier, (under $750.00), is a separate value DAC (under $200.00), worth it? Or, am I better off just using the DAC that is in the amp? In particular, I am looking at YAMAHA and ONKYO integrated amplifiers (under $1000.00), and Value level DAC's, (under $200.00) S.M.S.L. Sanskrit 6th, SCHIIT Modi 2. Any help is always appreciated.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
In models you're mentioning, I would use their in built DAC's. I would even transfer the 200$ you were thinking on spending to speakers or if that's already taken care of, I would transfer said 200 to a better integrated.

If you're really into integrated and you like Yamaha, A-S801 is under 1000$

Of course, many members here will point out what you're able to get for your money if you go for an AVR, and they'll be right. BUt my end goal is also a stereo amp, so I'm as guilty as you are.;)

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
I'd also point out an AVR is better. Not only can you get more performance for your money, but you also get stuff like bass management on board. Most built in DACs are very high quality, some of the Avrs even use the ultra high quality AKM DACs.
In models you're mentioning, I would use their in built DAC's. I would even transfer the 200$ you were thinking on spending to speakers or if that's already taken care of, I would transfer said 200 to a better integrated.

Of course, many members here will point out what you're able to get for your money if you go for an AVR, and they'll be right. BUt my end goal is also a stereo amp, so I'm as guilty as you are.;)
Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
This forum has been a great help, so I am asking for advice once again. If I purchase a value integrated amplifier, (under $750.00), is a separate value DAC (under $200.00), worth it? Or, am I better off just using the DAC that is in the amp? In particular, I am looking at YAMAHA and ONKYO integrated amplifiers (under $1000.00), and Value level DAC's, (under $200.00) S.M.S.L. Sanskrit 6th, SCHIIT Modi 2. Any help is always appreciated.
It is hard to say without knowing the specific integrated amp and DAC as it depends on how their specs and features compare.

For practical values, including sound quality, for C$745, you can't beat the AVR-X3400H. The $899 A-S801 is a good deal and measured a little better. So if all you need is two channel and you don't believe in the benefits of room eq then I can't think of a better choice.

J

JCanada

Audioholic
It is hard to say without knowing the specific integrated amp and DAC as it depends on how their specs and features compare.

For practical values, including sound quality, for C$745, you can't beat the AVR-X3400H. The $899 A-S801 is a good deal and measured a little better. So if all you need is two channel and you don't believe in the benefits of room eq then I can't think of a better choice.
Thank you. Much appreciated. Very good advice.

J

JCanada

Audioholic

J

JCanada

Audioholic

I'd also point out an AVR is better. Not only can you get more performance for your money, but you also get stuff like bass management on board. Most built in DACs are very high quality, some of the Avrs even use the ultra high quality AKM DACs.

Generally I'd just use the one in the receiver.

Generally I'd just use the one in the receiver.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I would like to emphasize that unless your room is really good in producing relatively flat bass response at your listening position, the audible benefits you will gain by using a reasonably good room EQ system such as Audyssey XT32 Sub EQHT is much more significant than having even the best external DAC. The build in DAC in the mid range D&M and Yamaha AVRs has comparable specs to the one in the A-S801.

When I had my AVR-X3400H in one of my stereo system, I compared it with my separates that cost 5 to 6X more, and I preferred the sound quality of the AVR with REQ engaged.

J

JCanada

Audioholic
I would like to emphasize that unless your room is really good in producing relatively flat bass response at your listening position, the audible benefits you will gain by using a reasonably good room EQ system such as Audyssey XT32 Sub EQHT is much more significant than having even the best external DAC. The build in DAC in the mid range D&M and Yamaha AVRs has comparable specs to the one in the A-S801.

When I had my AVR-X3400H in one of my stereo system, I compared it with my separates that cost 5 to 6X more, and I preferred the sound quality of the AVR with REQ engaged.
Thanks, I will consider the AVR's you mentioned. Thanks for the room EQ education.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I would say the Schiit DAC would likely be better than the AVR DAC, but emphasize SLIGHTLY. Before I say it's an automatic waste of money to buy the Schiit, understand the most impactful equipment you will buy are the speakers.

A really high quality, accurate pair of speakers might reveal the slight improvement in the DAC, otherwise you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference at all.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I would say the Schiit DAC would likely be better than the AVR DAC, but emphasize SLIGHTLY. Before I say it's an automatic waste of money to buy the Schiit, understand the most impactful equipment you will buy are the speakers.

A really high quality, accurate pair of speakers might reveal the slight improvement in the DAC, otherwise you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference at all.
I would say the Schitt Modi 2 won't do better, only worse, than those in the AVR-X3400H or A-S801, at least based on specs..

Last edited:

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I wouldn't dispute that...my basic point is even if it was better you could be spending money for no appreciable gain without speakers that can deliver

J

JCanada

Audioholic

Thank you. Appreciated.

J

JCanada

Audioholic
I would say the Schitt Modi 2 won't do better, only worse, than those in the AVR-X3400H or A-S801, at least based on specs..

Thank you. Appreciated. After considering all this advice, I will focus my spending on speakers first.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis