Is a streamer just a convenience?

B

Bob257

Audioholic Intern
Currently I connect my iPhone to a Marantz CD player via its USB input. It's connected, via coax, to the DAC in my amp. I can listen to the popular streaming services like Spotify, Pandora, Sirius, Amazon, and Apple. What would be the benefit of paying $500-$1500 for a dedicated streamer other than the convenience of not using a chord?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
a "10ft interface" which could be used as the name implies from 10ft away, typically displayed on a larger TV, controlled by remote control. Option b, specific for apple stuff, is to use AppleTV as a destination for the Airplay stream from your iPhone. This way you still control and stream from your iPhone, but losslessly play it on your stereo system.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Currently I connect my iPhone to a Marantz CD player via its USB input. It's connected, via coax, to the DAC in my amp. I can listen to the popular streaming services like Spotify, Pandora, Sirius, Amazon, and Apple. What would be the benefit of paying $500-$1500 for a dedicated streamer other than the convenience of not using a chord?
The short answer to the title thread is Yes...a dedicated streamer is a convenience. Many of the modern AVRs have Pandora, Spotify, etc that you mentioned built in.

It largely depends on what you're streaming, do you have a library?

For me...I have a decent size itunes library...(mostly mp3 files)...I have playlists that I playback on the whole house system. I also have a growing SACD/collection and still occassionally will buy CDs.

Storage...I think I will be signing on for the Qobuz hifi subscription to expand on what I have, but personal library storage on the streamer is important to me.

Playback capability...the world of multi-ch hi res is understated, but imo is just as "next level" for studio recordings as Atmos is for the movie track. If your streamer can't process DSD, 24/192 and other hi res formats, I think as a serious music lover you are leaving the opportunity to explore on the table.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis