Is a center speaker needed for streaming music?

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Does a center speaker add/subtract to a 2/1 music steaming system?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Audioholic Slumlord
If it is 2.1 then there is no center. A center speaker is never mandatory. Two good speakers and a sub can easily produce excellent clear and uncolored dialog. I'm listening to one that does just that right now.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Short answer is no.

It's doesn't factor at all in 2.1 system. Most streaming sources are not offering surround sound music so there's no reason to have a CC...multi-channel music is the only reason you would want a CC for music.

highfigh

highfigh

Audioholic Overlord
Additional speakers aren't needed to reproduce sound that wasn't included in the stream and speakers that are correct for the room will have no problem creating a seamless 'front stage'- the center is produced by the output of both speakers equally because that info is the same in both channels. The difference information is what makes a mix 'stereo'.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic General
why do you think it's called "streaming"? That feed comes directly from the sewer, a "stream" of garbage music. :rolleyes:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Seriously, I have no life.
I wouldn't add a center to a 2ch system particularly for music. YMMV.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
If 5.1, DTS Neo6 Music mode isn’t bad upmixing 2.0 but I mostly listen to music in 2.1, unless it’s recorded in 5.1 such as a Blu-ray concert or a 5.1 SACD. YMMV :)

AVUser001

AVUser001

Full Audioholic
Assume you mean a real speaker for center channel in 2.1 music?

in which case, its not there to begin with(ie purely 2 channels L+R + Sub).
Or you talking about multi-channel sound ?

In a 2.1 system thats properly setup( optimal speaker/listening position without unwanted reflections that can distort the soundstage), you get a fantastic front stage with a phantom(virtual) center in the middle, without the aid of any other gimmick. I hear this virtual center, all the time, in my 2ch music setup. Dont miss a dedicated center channel.

newsletter
  • RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis