Is a 10 bit display capable of HDR10?

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
I'm trying to figure out if my TV can accept an HDR 10 signal, I know that I can input a 36bit 4:4:4 signal, and that the display itself is 10bit, but I have no idea whether or not I can send it an HDR 10 signal. I do know that display isn't quite bright enough to fully take advantage of HDR, but I'm wondering if I would atleast derive some of the enhanced color found in HDR 10. It doesn't really say much in the manual. It's a Vizio D55u-d1 4k display.

Sent from my 5065N using Tapatalk

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, but more than bits, it must be an HDR display. For the Vizio, you may need to enable 'Color Subsampling' on the corresponding HDMI input.

Dolby Vision goes to 12 bit and 10,000 nits peak brightness, comparatively. I'm so glad the 3D questions have largely ceased....

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I bought a 43" Hisense 4K TV a while back. It was an 8-bit panel with HDR. However, the TV could process the HDR10 signal, but had no way to fully display it. In other words, I was not getting true 4K w/HDR. But, the picture was still very good.

Not long ago I bought a 43" Sony 4K TV w/HDR and can say it is a BIG step up. The Sony is a true 10-bit panel and can fully process HDR10. The colors are more vibrant and the picture is breathtaking to say the least. However, it looks like everything is headed towards OLED displays and Dolby Vision albeit 12-bit panels. But, for now my Sony will do just fine. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
The only setting I found is full UHD color on HDMI 1, would that be it? Even with it enabled, my roku doesn't detect it as an HDR capable display and will only output 24 bit 4:2:0. I don't have an UHD bdp to test it out, I just know my Samsung upscaling bdp will input 36bit color on the menu screens (obviously not blurays as no bluray is encoded with more than 8 bit color).

I'm positive the display is not an HDR display, since its only a little over 300nit brightness, however, 300nits is still more than a traditional SDR signal, and the display is still capable of displaying 10bit color. I just want to know whether or not I can feed it an HDR 10 signal and get some of the color benefits.

Does the TV have to be designed as HDR capable or can an HDR 10 signal be fed to any TV that accepts a 10bit input?

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
The only setting I found is full UHD color on HDMI 1, would that be it? Even with it enabled, my roku doesn't detect it as an HDR capable display and will only output 24 bit 4:2:0. I don't have an UHD bdp to test it out, I just know my Samsung upscaling bdp will input 36bit color on the menu screens (obviously not blurays as no bluray is encoded with more than 8 bit color).

I'm positive the display is not an HDR display, since its only a little over 300nit brightness, however, 300nits is still more than a traditional SDR signal, and the display is still capable of displaying 10bit color. I just want to know whether or not I can feed it an HDR 10 signal and get some of the color benefits.

Does the TV have to be designed as HDR capable or can an HDR 10 signal be fed to any TV that accepts a 10bit input?
It sounds like you have an 8-bit panel similar to the one I had. Your TV must be at a bare minimum 10-bit in order to fully display HDR10. The 8-bit I had was an 8-bit panel that could simulate 10-bit, but had no real way to fully display it. My new Sony is a 10-bit panel that can fully display HDR10 and the colors are much more vibrant. The picture is outstanding to say the least.

Cheers,

Phil

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
It sounds like you have an 8-bit panel similar to the one I had. Your TV must be at a bare minimum 10-bit in order to fully display HDR10. The 8-bit I had was an 8-bit panel that could simulate 10-bit, but had no real way to fully display it. My new Sony is a 10-bit panel that can fully display HDR10 and the colors are much more vibrant. The picture is outstanding to say the least.

Cheers,

Phil
Can it receive an HDR10 signal?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Can it receive an HDR10 signal?
As I mentioned to you previously it sounds like you have an 8-bit panel. My 43" 4K Hisense TV was as well. I really had to dig to get any answers regarding HDR10. Found out that there were, at the time, a lot of so called 4K TV's that were not able to fully display HDR. So, I called Hisense and they told me the 43" 4K TV that I purchased could simulate an HDR10 signal, but had no way to fully display it.

That means, due to color combinations my Hisense TV was limited in how much HDR it could actually display. However, it still had a very good picture. But, I now have a 43" 4K 10-bit Sony TV that can process an HDR10 signal and fully display it. The colors are certainly more vibrant and rich that is quite noticeable. The picture is breath-taking to say the least.

As far as you specific 4K TV I haven't a clue. I am no videophile by any stretch of the imagination and never will be. In fact, I don't even care about HT. There are others here that are more on the video side of things than me. Perhaps, a few can be of more help to you. Good luck in your search. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis