Is 20amps enough for all this ? Is it as easy as is enough if it does not trip?

G

gaby95

Audioholic
Hi!
So I have a dedicated 20amp for my basement theater.

On the first outlet I got:
4 Subs: (plan to all triple PSA in the future but for now this is it):
PSA TV1812
dual HSU VTF-15H
MFW-15m

On the second outlet of the same 20amp circuit I gotthe following:
Denon x4400h + AC Infinity T9
Monolith 7x 7x200Watts
Monster HTPS 7000 Sig
Monster AVS 2000
JVC RS540 projector
HTPC with 650W psu (5600x and RTX 3070)

I havent got any issues so far so I guess that as long as I dont trip the box, I am golden or will it have any benefit to separate one of the outlets for its own dedicated 15 or 20mp circuit?

Thanks

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What do the Monster units do for you? I have that much stuff on a 15A and haven't blown the breaker but not trying to set spl records either....

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
If that isn't enough current then you are listening way to loudly. Most of us listen to music on a couple or three watts. That would be a small fraction of an amp. If you really want to pursue this then you should look for power dissipation specs on each component and add them up.

A typical 50" LED TV runs on about 100 watts or a little less than one amp of current. Subs probably dissipate more current that either amplifiers and TV's. but certainly less than a handful of amps of current. Remember you are dealing with a product category that has been overselling watts for decades. Just don't plug an oven or a welder into the same circuit. Just kidding, ovens and welders run on 240 amps so power dissipation would require 1/2 the current of what would be required on a household 20 amp circuit.

Plug it all in and enjoy.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I was wondering about this as well as I am currently in an apartment and my home theater is on a 15 amp breaker. I guess the answer is if I pop the breaker I’m probably getting evicted as well…

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
Yes, if you turn the power amps on one at at time and the breaker doesn't trip, and if the breaker doesn't trip when playing very loud music, then everything is OK.
A breaker's 15 or 20 Amp rating is for 3 hour continuous current, the only way it limits current is by tripping!

F

fred55

Audiophyte
My system's total rated RMS watts is around 7,000 (12,000 peak). A load test measured 10 amps at my max listening volume.

G

gaby95

Audioholic
There is the video from Gene where he showed an amp performing better in a dedicated circuit vs a shared one even though technically there was enough power available on that shared circuit due to line sagging.

F

fred55

Audiophyte
I use a Furman power conditioner with a little reserve current on each outlet - maybe Gene can speak to this. I haven't experienced any other obvious issues such as lights flickering / dimming. I'm using two outlets on the same 20 amp circuit.

F

fred55

Audiophyte
I was considering installing two 20 amp dedicated circuits after reading Gene's article. But after the load test (cost $180) I decided not to add any circuits. My advice is to pay for a load test then make a decision, show the ectrician Gene's info about sag.

G

gaby95

Audioholic
I was considering installing two 20 amp dedicated circuits after reading Gene's article. But after the load test (cost $180) I decided not to add any circuits. My advice is to pay for a load test then make a decision, show the ectrician Gene's info about sag.
I paid $150 for the extra 20amp circuit...cheaper than the load test you did LOL

G

gaby95

Audioholic
Must be nice, last one cost me $1300 and that's reasonable for this area.
Dang! I could add one per piece of gear for that price. I better add extras in case prices go wild here soon

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis