WorldLeader

WorldLeader

Full Audioholic
I have heard great things about this product and I was wondering if any of you have heard this thing in a listening enviroment.

Are there any tests that have been done on the sound quality of the Hi Fi?

Sorry if this has already been posted

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Do you know how to read specs? If so, this should help.
http://www.apple.com/ipodhifi/specs.html

If not, I will try to explain its performance.

Take a Bose wave radio, add a 5inch woofer for bass, and wala! iPod HiFi.

Its a good attempt to bring some decent sound to the ipod, one of the best yet(klipsch iFi system is the best IMO), but still far from a real stereo with a tweeter and woofer.

SheepStar

Last edited:
anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
So your saying the iFi does not use real woofers and tweeters. :p :D

Sorry could not resist.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
anamorphic96 said:
So your saying the iFi does not use real woofers and tweeters. :p :D

Sorry could not resist.
No it does, but not in REAL boxes. Check mate! :D

SheepStar

I

ichigo

Full Audioholic
Sheep said:
Do you know how to read specs? If so, this should help.
http://www.apple.com/ipodhifi/specs.html

If not, I will try to explain its performance.

Take a Bose wave radio, add a 5inch woofer for bass, and wala! iPod HiFi.

Its a good attempt to bring some decent sound to the ipod, one of the best yet(klipsch iFi system is the best IMO), but still far from a real stereo with a tweeter and woofer.

SheepStar
The Wave Radio doesn't even have dual-3inch drivers, it's dual 2s O_O

A $80 Klipsch Ultra 2.0 with a $50 mp3/radio usb stick would destroy the Wave Radio.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
WorldLeader said:
I have heard great things about this product and I was wondering if any of you have heard this thing in a listening enviroment.
No, I do not believe that it is in stores yet.

Are there any tests that have been done on the sound quality of the Hi Fi?
There has been limited review of it. Apple & Computer-related magazines & websites say its the greatest thing since the 5th gen iPod. Music/Stereo publications that got ahold of one tend to think its a very poor music system for $350.

What we do know is this.......
*Mono speaker. You will never achieve 'real' stereo music with this system. Its just one speaker (albeit, one speaker with several drivers), with no "reflecting" technology of any sort (unlike, say, Yamaha's single speaker surround doohicky).
*There are no tweeters. Just 2 3" midranges (which account for its 16KHz dropoff), and a 5" woofer.
*Published specs say a low of about 60Hz to a high of about 16KHz.
*portable, runs on D-batteries.

Its really just the Apple® brand Bose® Sound-Dock, not the second coming of Hi-Fi culture.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Tomshardware.com calls it a $350 boombox. It doesn't look all that impressive to me either.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
Rock&Roll Ninja said:
No, I do not believe that it is in stores yet.

Its really just the Apple® brand Bose® Sound-Dock, not the second coming of Hi-Fi culture.
It is in stores. I saw one last week.

It blows away the sound dock. Not worth $350, when you could get a Soundworks 740 instead and get a radio and CD player...

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Mp3- Hifi???

Okay, Big Picture... The ipod plays MP3's and other digitally ruined music... No MP3 will ever be HiFi. I've encoded some music to my ipod with really high bit-rates, but the CD always sounds better. nothing designed for the ipod will ever be hi-fi. I have the docking station made by onkyo and it does a fair job, but ipods just arent audiophile freindly, no matter what....

pieroxy

pieroxy

Enthusiast
adwilk said:
Okay, Big Picture... The ipod plays MP3's and other digitally ruined music... No MP3 will ever be HiFi. I've encoded some music to my ipod with really high bit-rates, but the CD always sounds better. nothing designed for the ipod will ever be hi-fi. I have the docking station made by onkyo and it does a fair job, but ipods just arent audiophile freindly, no matter what....
I think you may need to get up to speed. Nobody talked about MP3 here, just iPods. AFAIK, iPod can play lossless AAC files along with PCM WAV.

And just for the record, not many people can tell a 320kbps MP3 from an original source in an ABX test. And when I say not many, trust me, there's not many.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
pieroxy said:
I think you may need to get up to speed. Nobody talked about MP3 here, just iPods. AFAIK, iPod can play lossless AAC files along with PCM WAV.

And just for the record, not many people can tell a 320kbps MP3 from an original source in an ABX test. And when I say not many, trust me, there's not many.
Actually, you'd be hard pressed to hear the differences betwen 192 and 320 :- \

SheepStar

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
pieroxy said:
I still contend that these little digital players are a long ways from being considered hi-fi. They are designed for convenience and the trade off is ultimately sound quality. I think they sound good, but i have yet to hear anything from these little guys that will replace what i currently have. Paired with lower end stereo gear, they work great, but paired with a great pre, amp, and towers, they leave quite a bit to be desired.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
pieroxy said:

The results of that test would be highly dependent upon source material. If one were using a high-quality, uncompressed, dynamic, and acoustic source material, I think you could have better luck than using hyper-compressed and distorted rock music such as Audioslave.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis