iPod connection to a Sony A/V receiver

S

SoundDude

Audiophyte
Short of buying the Sony iPod dock, can I connect an iPod to my Sony STR-DG720 7.1 A/V receiver using a dedicated iPod player (two speakers and a docking station) using RCA plugs through the Audio Out (also has an S video output) of the iPod station to one of the many audio inputs of my Sony receiver (SAT, Video 1, DVD)?
It seems every system has a proprietary connector for iPods (Yamaha, Denon, Sony, etc.)
Thanks for your help,
SoundDude

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Yes, in fact you don't need a docking station of any kind. You can go straight from the headphone out to any analog input on a receiver using a 3.5 mm stereo mini plug to 2 RCA cable.

Typically docks just provide additional features, like being able to control it using the receiver's remote control or displaying song information on the receiver's display. Some docks will provide a true line-level signal to the receiver, which will result in a slight bump in volume as compared to the very low level of the headphone out but unless you really want the additional features of a dock, you don't need one.

S

scott911

Full Audioholic
But don't some docks provide an audio digital out, which would allow you to bypass the tiny D-A encoder in the ipod? - That would surely allow for better sound quality.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis