iPhone update garbage

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Has anyone been able to delete or edit the crap that's included with Apple iOS updates? I have read the list of the crap they include, but have seen almost nothing about bug fixes, security improvements or anything else that isn't aimed at kids. I don't want or need that crap, I want my phone to work as a phone and smart device, but wouldn't use the widgets & other stuff if a gun was held to my head. I would really like to be able to pick & choose what's included.

Anyone?

1702486193968.png

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, if the incremental updates ask me to set up cloud service one more time... Oh, and then they added a new Journal app to my Homescreen. F#%kers. Oh well, at least a new U2 album didn't worm its way into my music library.;)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I have a folder I placed on the last page of Apps on my iPhone. I titled it "Useless Apps." And all the cr@p I have no need for goes there.

Some of it you can delete yourself. If it shouldn't be removed from the phone (for whatever reason) they won't let you delete it.

highfigh

highfigh

I read the details when I saw that 17.1.2 was available and it was like War & Peace or The Iliad. I scrolled to the bottom and it only mentioned something about stability. Every time I call AppleCare about some issue, they tell me that I need the phone to be updated.

Honestly, they need to market to people who are over 40- I can't imagine being that age and wanting all of the crap they want us to load into our phones.

Also, app developers need to understand that not all phone users want to be forced to buy a new phone every time they find a new way to make the propellers on their hats spin faster.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Has anyone been able to delete or edit the crap that's included with Apple iOS updates? I have read the list of the crap they include, but have seen almost nothing about bug fixes, security improvements or anything else that isn't aimed at kids. I don't want or need that crap, I want my phone to work as a phone and smart device, but wouldn't use the widgets & other stuff if a gun was held to my head. I would really like to be able to pick & choose what's included.

Anyone?

View attachment 64666
Are you surprised? Apple never publishes detailed release notes, and If you are upset at crapware, maybe you should check out Samsung "smart" phones. They are a fine example of making phones with "minimal" OS. /s
Microsoft Windows abandoned the practice of selective updates a while ago because no OS is as modular as you'd hope. It creates unnecessary work for them, translating to unnecessary expense, and also causes Windows desktops to be less secure.
So, in a meme format:

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

That's what you get for getting new iPhones. I use a 2016 SE. Wife had one before it befell a water dunk.
Before that, I had an S for a number of years. I don't see new apps dumped on it.
I would imagine that you could limit those unwanted apps capability buy turning everything off in it?

highfigh

highfigh

That's what you get for getting new iPhones. I use a 2016 SE. Wife had one before it befell a water dunk.
Before that, I had an S for a number of years. I don't see new apps dumped on it.
I would imagine that you could limit those unwanted apps capability buy turning everything off in it?
I have an iPhone SE, later version- it's a bit of a hybrid, but it's geared toward people who don't want or need the latest phones. I think I got it from Consumer Cellular about 1-1/2 years ago. I NEVER buy as soon as it comes out- that's a great way to be someone else's Guinea Pig and I don't want that.

They have "For the protection of our customers, Apple doesn't disclose, discuss, or confirm security issues until an investigation has occurred and patches or releases are generally available." on the page I found. The link shows what's included with iOS 17.1.2-

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I only update phones every five years. I'm trying to go longer this time around until it is forced into obsolescence. I deal with the silly updates but that doesn't mean they aren't an annoyance. But, I did sign up for this s#%t so there you go.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I only update phones every five years. I'm trying to go longer this time around until it is forced into obsolescence. I deal with the silly updates but that doesn't mean they aren't an annoyance. But, I did sign up for this s#%t so there you go.
Motorolla's smartphone average support lifetime is two years, or at least, it was recently. Google (Pixel devices) only recently bumped it up to match Apple's software support terms, which is realistically around seven years.
My ancient iPad Air2 (circa 2014) received its last iPad OS update only 48 days ago. It still works like a champ, except in games, of course. I never had an Android device, and I could say the same. Usually, after 2-3 years, either updates fully stop or make it unusable (see Asus Nexus 7 2012 tablet )

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Until I got the iPhone 12 three years ago I had various Android mobiles that I replaced every two years as that was as long as I got any security updates. The iPhone 12 still works just fine and will have updates for a few more years.

As Android mobiles goes the ones from Sony-Ericsson (and later just Sony) where fairly lean compared to some other brands, or at least they where when I used them.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Unfortunately it's always a trade off to obtain convenience. You could look at a Google Pixel and install GrapheneOS on it. The OS now supports Google Play applications making it viable as a primary device.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I delete what I can, keep stuff in the cloud for what I need to actually recover the phone if its dies and has to be replaced.

Also, this works at times for those Apple apps that just appear and you can't delete

How do you delete apps if your phone doesn't let you check the apps when they are moving? If you have Screen Time enabled, go to Settings/Screen Time/Content & Privacy Restrictions ( turned on) /iTunes & App Store Purchases and change Deleting Apps to Allow. Then try deleting the app again.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Motorolla's smartphone average support lifetime is two years, or at least, it was recently. Google (Pixel devices) only recently bumped it up to match Apple's software support terms, which is realistically around seven years.
My ancient iPad Air2 (circa 2014) received its last iPad OS update only 48 days ago. It still works like a champ, except in games, of course. I never had an Android device, and I could say the same. Usually, after 2-3 years, either updates fully stop or make it unusable (see Asus Nexus 7 2012 tablet )
Samsung also has a 5 year guarantee for software updates for most of their models. I'm a Pixel guy, so I'm happy to not have to deal with bloatware. Apple used to be good about that sort of thing, not so much now. Too bad Apple doesn't let you hide apps on a personal device the way you can when they're fully managed. Sure, you can just put them in a folder, but that's a stupid thing to have to do.

Samsung and Apple are two companies I deal with enough professionally, that I don't care to deal with them personally.

highfigh

highfigh

I was an ATT customer/victim from the beginning of my cell phone use after having programmed them when I worked at a car stereo store. The first phone was an Erickson, which was OK, then I was told that I needed to upgrade because of a cell system change, so I bought a Nokia. For some reason, I still have it and the battery holds a charge for a ridiculous length of time. That became obsolete, so they recommended a Motorola Razr. What a complete POS on the ATT system!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know someone who worked for Motorola and he gave one to his brother in law- it was great with Verison, but mine completely sucked and it was so bad that I got a replacement after about two weeks. I had told the little sales dork that I wanted a phone that didn't drop calls, the display was visible in relatively bright light and I could hear clearly in semi-loud environments. Strike three. ATT denied that they'd had problems with the Razr until about three seconds after they stopped selling that POS model and they admitted it. I called tech support one time in range of a tower and it dropped the call. I was standing outside of the nearest ATT store at the time because I didn't think they would appreciate me discussing the problems I was having with their phone and when the tech checked the data, told me it hadn't been set up correctly, so she made the changes. That worked for awhile but then, most of my customers were buying iPhones and wanted to see how their AV apps worked and I needed to become familiar with the Apple hellhole.

They stopped supporting the iPhone 6, so I upgraded to the SE but I keep the 6 because it has a 3.5mm jack for headphones/ear buds/whatever an I can't find my Lightning to 3.5mm adapter that I use for testing.

I see Apple has a new security update as of 12/11-

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis