Invidia Shield TV Pro is HDMI2.0b - any streaming devices support 2.1?

Gadgetball

Gadgetball

Audiophyte
I have a PS5, but was told that streaming with it will not reproduce Atmos or DTS:X in instances.

I saw the Nvidia Shield TV Pro is only 2.0b. Is this the best in streaming devices? Or is there one that has HDMI 2.1.

I am in the process of building a home theater around the PS5's capabilities, since my receiver and TV are 2016 (2.0a, 60hz at best).

We stream more than anything else (and all digitally DL'd games). So I want to get the highest output quality streaming device!

Before year's end I will have the Denon X3700H running 5.2.4 on all-Klipsch, and LG G1 OLED.
2.1, 30+Gbps, HDR/VRR gaming, 4K120, Atmos, DTS:X, eARC ......... I just want to be sure to have the best streaming device to match.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Nvidia Shield Pro will get you 4K HDR and DD+/atmos support in the most popular streaming services and you will be fine. HDMI 2.1 is only necessary at the moment for gamers wanting to play at 120hz. Enjoy that new system soon.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Nvidia Shield Pro will get you 4K HDR and DD+/atmos support in the most popular streaming services and you will be fine. HDMI 2.1 is only necessary at the moment for gamers wanting to play at 120hz. Enjoy that new system soon.
That and 8k sources that don't yet exist.

Right now, unless you are using 120hz refresh (no video content supports this really) or VRR (variable refresh rate, only for gaming) then HDMI 2.1 doesn't really get you anything in the way of video/audio. 2.0 will fully cover you for quite awhile.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The only real thing that supports HDMI 2.1 is gaming, and they aren't exactly killing it because of the demands required for such high frame rates and 4K. nVidia 3080 cards aren't really able to deliver tier 1 games and much beyond 4K/60 right now. So, that's more like a 3090, and even that can struggle on certain titles.

But, there is no video content. There still isn't reasonable television broadcasts that support 4K... or even 1080p. The marketing masters have created displays that are a good decade ahead of actual technology and nobody seems to be paying much attention. The biggest use of HDMI 2.1 is eARC, not much else beyond that.

But, pairing a LG OLED with almost anything will leave you pretty happy.

K

Kieran

Enthusiast
Not to mention that virtually all of the 8k / 4k120 "capable" receivers have the buggy Panasonic chip, and so can't support 4k120 now/yet anyway. Denon/Marantz have said they'll fix it when a fix is available, Yamaha was less committal. Other brands don't even have products out yet for 8k/4k120.

FYI, sounds like you are wedded to the PS5, but Microsoft just announced that they are going to enable audio passthrough on the new Xboxes soon, via a patch. That should in theory enable any sound format to be sent to your AVR for decoding, un-touched by the game machine.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Shield last updated in 2019. It won't shock me if Nvidia releases a minor update to it at q3-q4 this year.
Pure speculation on my part.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ShieldAndroidTV/comments/kzvovk
If they're going to put a new chip in the Switch HD or whatever they're going to call it, I'll bet you are right. What will be nice is if we get the DLSS tech and other goodies out of the new chip.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis