Intro and help with subwoofer choice

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Gesundheit!

I guess I should buck the apparent trend of totally irrelevant posts and say that IMHO, HSU offers the best value.
SVS is good if you absolutely want to hear them before you risk losing any money and they are usually a little more finished looking than HSU (if you take off the perforated metal grill (that SVS generally does not show in their photos)!
For value, HSU is very good, but keep an eye out for discounts on Outlaw or Monolith subs since we are entering November - I would research the Outlaw and Monolith subs so you know what would work for your situation. Generally we never see much discount on SVS or HSU (or Rythmik or PSA) mainstream products, but Monolith and Outlaw are fully competitive subs that sometimes see deep discounts. I got my two Outlaw X-13 Ultras for $1,000 ea. (normally ~$1600/ea.)

Last edited:
M

mwalther

Enthusiast
Thanks again for everyone's feedback. One of the features I love about the SVS PC2000 pro is the small footprint. I should mention that my room is also the family room, with children's toys, furniture, etc. I think the max footprint depth that would not to start to feel like it's intruding on the center of the room would be about 24 inches, and even that's pushing it (and assuminig I place it almost flush with a wall). I'm concerned that the HSU subs are just too deep.

M

mwalther

Enthusiast
Gesundheit!

I guess I should buck the apparent trend of totally irrelevant posts and say that IMHO, HSU offers the best value.
SVS is good if you absolutely want to hear them before you risk losing any money and they are usually a little more finished looking than HSU (if you take off the perforated metal grill (that SVS generally does not show in their photos)!
For value, HSU is very good, but keep an eye out for discounts on Outlaw or Monolith subs since we are entering November - I would research the Outlaw and Monolith subs so you know what would work for your situation. Generally we never see much discount on SVS or HSU (or Rythmik or PSA) mainstream products, but Monolith and Outlaw are fully competitive subs that sometimes see deep discounts. I got my two Outlaw X-13 Ultras for $1,000 ea. (normally ~$1600/ea.)
I have not looked deeply into Outlaw or Monolith yet. I'll check them out.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks again for everyone's feedback. One of the features I love about the SVS PC2000 pro is the small footprint. I should mention that my room is also the family room, with children's toys, furniture, etc. I think the max footprint depth that would not to start to feel like it's intruding on the center of the room would be about 24 inches, and even that's pushing it (and assuminig I place it almost flush with a wall). I'm concerned that the HSU subs are just too deep.
I can say this. Two of my subs are pc12pluses. They’re older big brothers to the PC2k. One of my favorite things is the small footprint. I also think they’re unique and appreciate the design overall. They’re about the same size as my mains so they don’t really stand out much. And they perform! Also they’re much lighter than the box version.
I say have SVS send you one,(or two) and see for free! No risk at all.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Does sound like the PC style sub has its advantages in your room....

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Does sound like the PC style sub has its advantages in your room....
Not sure if that’s for me, but yes. They’ve been good for performance vs waf. I showed her my plans to built a pair of 7’ tall LLT’s based off of SI’s HST series. She about fell over lol.
Figured my PC’s could be near-ish behind the couch(still8’ away) and the LLT’s in front. Boom!!! Still workin that out lol.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not sure if that’s for me, but yes. They’ve been good for performance vs waf. I showed her my plans to built a pair of 7’ tall LLT’s based off of SI’s HST series. She about fell over lol.
Figured my PC’s could be near-ish behind the couch(still8’ away) and the LLT’s in front. Boom!!! Still workin that out lol.
Meant for the OP's reasons. What LLT did you make?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Meant for the OP's reasons. What LLT did you make?
I didn’t yet. I was going to until my wife saw that they were gonna be 6-7’ tall. I’m still working on that one...
I really want a pair of fv18’s too. This IS 2020 though...so I’ll bring my own lube.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Bah just get some Bassy headphones. Just kidding proceed.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Bah just get some Bassy headphones. Just kidding proceed.
Hey joe! (Every time I write that I hear jimmy hendrix lol).
Believe it or not, I know people who would recommend just that. They say, “i had a soundbar, with a sub, bass wasn’t that great”. Smdh..... lol

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis