Intro and help with subwoofer choice

M

mwalther

Enthusiast
First time poster here. I've been reading the forum for the past month or so, and have learned a lot, so thank you to all who have shared their knowledge. I'm in the market for adding a sub to my system and would appreciate other's feedback.

For a long time now, my main system has been a simple 2 channel AV setup, consisting of a Rotel RA-1062 integrated amplifier driving a pair of Sonus Faber Concertino bookshelf speakers. I've really enjoyed this pairing for the past 16 years. When I bought them, I was really only interested in music, but now I would say my interests are split 50/50 between music and home theater. After researching on this forum, I made the decision to purchase a Denon AVR-X3600H to replace the Rotel, for the subwoofer outs, Audyssey, and potential for adding additional speakers down the line.

The sub I purchase will go in my living room, which is quite small, and unfortunately I do not have much flexibility at all in terms of sub placement. The sub will be placed along an interior wall where my speakers and AV equipment are. My living room dimensions are: 11.5ft (W) x 12.5ft (D) x 7.5ft (H). The room itself is not totally enclosed, as it has 2 narrow open doors leading to the rest of the main floor (the living room comprises about 20-25% of the overall space on the main floor of the house).

As far as budget, I'm willing to spend up to $1000 if it's truly worth it, and I'm considering the forum favorites such as SVS, HSU, etc. I was originally thinking about doing a single or duel SVS pb1000, but my wife actually prefers the look of the PC200 pro more. With such a small room, I'm having a hard time knowing the incremental benefit of something like the PC2000.

What do others suggest? Thanks in advance.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
The PC2000 Pro will work

They have 2 PC2000's (Outlet) for $1450

Last edited:
M

mwalther

Enthusiast
Thanks for your input! Would there be a strong rationale for 2 PB1000's instead of 1 PC2000 Pro?

M

mwalther

Enthusiast
Many thanks!

Is there any way of predicting how forgiving vs. not forgiving a certain sub will be about placement? I unfortunately have very few options for placement, given the room limitations. The sub will likely have to go inbetween my speakers, with not much space to place it away from the wall.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Many thanks!

Is there any way of predicting how forgiving vs. not forgiving a certain sub will be about placement? I unfortunately have very few options for placement, given the room limitations. The sub will likely have to go inbetween my speakers, with not much space to place it away from the wall.

Just do the sub crawl

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks for your input! Would there be a strong rationale for 2 PB1000's instead of 1 PC2000 Pro?
Imo the pb2k pro is much more capable down low than the pb1000. In fact it might be the best value under a grand. I would definitely get the pro, and possibly start saving for number two.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Totally anecdotal, but I recently upgraded two pb1000’s for two pb2000 pro subs. Whether you buy one or two I would start at least with the 2000.
the 1,000 series is nice...but you don’t really want a nice subwoofer, do you?

M

mwalther

Enthusiast
Totally anecdotal, but I recently upgraded two pb1000’s for two pb2000 pro subs. Whether you buy one or two I would start at least with the 2000.
the 1,000 series is nice...but you don’t really want a nice subwoofer, do you?
Thanks for your advice. Did you tinker around much with placement of the subs?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I'm going to have very few options in terms of placement, unfortunately.
Worry about that when it gets there. Do the sub crawl from the link that I sent you and see where it tells you to put the sub. If that's not a good location then check your locations to see which one is the best of those but at least try.

M

mwalther

Enthusiast
Worry about that when it gets there. Do the sub crawl from the link that I sent you and see where it tells you to put the sub. If that's not a good location then check your locations to see which one is the best of those but at least try.
Alright, alright. I'll see how it goes.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Thanks for your advice. Did you tinker around much with placement of the subs?
A little, I haven’t done the sub crawl yet, waiting on some furniture. However, I may not do it then.
I recently moved the subs from the front corners, to about five feet in on each side. (Inside of the towers). The app is pretty good, and I am not a tech guy. The parametric equalizer is interesting.....

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
As far as budget, I'm willing to spend up to $1000 if it's truly worth it, and I'm considering the forum favorites such as SVS, HSU, etc. I was originally thinking about doing a single or duel SVS pb1000, but my wife actually prefers the look of the PC200 pro more. With such a small room, I'm having a hard time knowing the incremental benefit of something like the PC2000.

What do others suggest? Thanks in advance.
My 1st choice would be the VTF-3 MK5 HP Sub. You can't beat it for the price. It's musical as well as a HUGE power horse. Just used it and my VMPS Tallboy dual sub to watch Interstellar and the subwoofers were shaking the entire basement. It was incredible.

M

mwalther

Enthusiast
My 1st choice would be the VTF-3 MK5 HP Sub. You can't beat it for the price. It's musical as well as a HUGE power horse. Just used it and my VMPS Tallboy dual sub to watch Interstellar and the subwoofers were shaking the entire basement. It was incredible.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Fantastic movie, btw.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis