Internet Speeds on My TV

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Hi folks. Hoping for some help. I have a new XBR900F. I'm getting some pretty low speeds (about 25Mb/s) given that I have gigabit internet. Speedtests on my 5ghz wifi indicate I'm getting about 225Mb/s ( trying to chat right now with my provider, Xfinity, to see if some partitioning needs to be done to increase this). I have an extender in my HT room, which I understand halves the speed, and have it hard wired to my AVR. Should I be wiring it directly into my TV?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Hey NorCal! Hope all is well with you, man!
I have my entire rig hardwired via ethnet straight to my main router... You can buy an umanaged Ethernet Switch from Monoprice for around $15 or a little more from Amazon... but I have one ethernet going to 5 devices and seems to work great. Clearly, I am a fan of the hardwired approach. ;) (That link is for one that will handle 4 devices, plus connection to the router.;))

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Thanks Ryno! Happy New Year bud. Yeah, no doubt on the hardwire approach. It's gonna take some doing for me to get there, but it is in the plans. I'm going to have to cut a hole in my hard wood floor or get down under my house to get the coax into my HT room. I made the phenomenally bad choice to cut the existing coax and push it down through the floor when we bought the place:rolleyes::eek: For the time I'm trying to figure out the best way to handle it wirelessly. Any wisdom you can share?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
For wifi... only option would be put your rig and the main router closer together. ;) I'm not a great techie when it comes to network management. I'm the plug and play guy... that's why I love Apple! ;) If that Coax is your internet... or just cable?... run an ethernet through that hole too, and go straight to the main router...? If that's even an option. *shrugs
Sorry I can't offer a better solution. I just know when I started having problems streaming to my AVR, everybody said exactly the same thing... not to use an extender, and if I have to use wireless, do the 2.4 network, not the 5ghz network.
Cheers Buddy!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
For wifi... only option would be put your rig and the main router closer together. ;) I'm not a great techie when it comes to network management. I'm the plug and play guy... that's why I love Apple! ;) If that Coax is your internet... or just cable?... run an ethernet through that hole too, and go straight to the main router...? If that's even an option. *shrugs
Sorry I can't offer a better solution. I just know when I started having problems streaming to my AVR, everybody said exactly the same thing... not to use an extender, and if I have to use wireless, do the 2.4 network, not the 5ghz network.
Cheers Buddy!
Try an AC1750 or AC1900 router. Dual band is nice so you can put other people in your house on the other band. :)

S

Spdmn256

Junior Audioholic
When you measured that 225 Mbps was that a wireless measurement taken from a nearby location to your TV? What kind of Wi-Fi router are you using? What kind of modem? How far is your TV from your router?

I also had bad luck with a Wi-Fi extender so got rid of that and replaced with a more powerful modem and Wi-Fi router which is miles better.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi folks. Hoping for some help. I have a new XBR900F. I'm getting some pretty low speeds (about 25Mb/s) given that I have gigabit internet. Speedtests on my 5ghz wifi indicate I'm getting about 225Mb/s ( trying to chat right now with my provider, Xfinity, to see if some partitioning needs to be done to increase this). I have an extender in my HT room, which I understand halves the speed, and have it hard wired to my AVR. Should I be wiring it directly into my TV?
Never use an extender if you want high speed. An access point is OK, but if the extender is wireless, you may be better off moving the router (if possible) or replacing it with something that covers more area. If you measure the speed at the extender with a laptop (and you should) and it shows much higher speed, buy a small gigabit network switch and connect anything in the system that is stationary. That way, it all benefits as long as the speed through the extender is higher.

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Never use an extender if you want high speed. An access point is OK, but if the extender is wireless, you may be better off moving the router (if possible) or replacing it with something that covers more area. If you measure the speed at the extender with a laptop (and you should) and it shows much higher speed, buy a small gigabit network switch and connect anything in the system that is stationary. That way, it all benefits as long as the speed through the extender is higher.
Yeah, I have an Ethernet cable plugged into my extender going to the AVR. I'm wondering if I should go straight to the TV, or if it's moot.

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
When you measured that 225 Mbps was that a wireless measurement taken from a nearby location to your TV? What kind of Wi-Fi router are you using? What kind of modem? How far is your TV from your router?

I also had bad luck with a Wi-Fi extender so got rid of that and replaced with a more powerful modem and Wi-Fi router which is miles better.
I measured the 225mbps wirelessly from both my phone and my PC. The modem is a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900. The extender, which I've gotten a max of 48mbps from is a Netgear AC750. The TV is about 50ft from the router. Tgeres, straight line, 4 walls to go through- a corner (2) and 2 other walls. I know I have to get the coax back into the room to put the modem right there so I can hardwire right into it. I'm looking to improve in the interim if I can

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I measured the 225mbps wirelessly from both my phone and my PC. The modem is a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900. The extender, which I've gotten a max of 48mbps from is a Netgear AC750. The TV is about 50ft from the router. Tgeres, straight line, 4 walls to go through- a corner (2) and 2 other walls. I know I have to get the coax back into the room to put the modem right there so I can hardwire right into it. I'm looking to improve in the interim if I can
Ya coax in the same room or near it might be the best way.

S

Spdmn256

Junior Audioholic
It looks like your primary router is a good one and 50 feet is not that far, though that is a few walls to go through. What happens if you just ditch the Wi-Fi extender? Other options could be to get a better extender or I’m curious if anyone here has tried any of the new mesh Wi-Fi systems yet? As that might be an option as well, but they are not inexpensive, so adding the coax cable might be higher on your list than that.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Measurements with most speed tests are irrelevant. In reality your actual throughput varies vastly. Always hardwire.

S

Spdmn256

Junior Audioholic
Measurements with most speed tests are irrelevant. In reality your actual throughput varies vastly. Always hardwire.
They’re not irrelevant. Even if actual throughput varies you can still get a baseline measurement. It’s especially helpful when you start making system changes so you can tell what’s an improvement (or not) and by how much. Hardwiring is not always practical or easy. Obviously hardwiring something like a tv, that doesn’t move, is the best option when it’s feasible but that isn’t always the case. Personally I still want a good WiFi network even if my larger items are stationery; I’m not going to hardwire my iPad, my laptop, my phone, my echo, my networked power outlets, security cameras...

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
On another, kind of related note- my AVR doesn't support Dolby Vision or Hybrid Log Gamma, but the tv does. Should I be bypassing the AVR and going straight to the tv?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Yeah, I have an Ethernet cable plugged into my extender going to the AVR. I'm wondering if I should go straight to the TV, or if it's moot.
If it's connected via ethernet cable to the router, it's really not called an extender but you need to look at any settings required. If it's normally used as a router, NAT and DHCP need to be disabled because it will never work well as an access point and could actually cause problems for wired devices.

Since you called it an 'extender', is it safe to assume it's an Airport Express?

If you need help with range in that area and since you have an ethernet cable going there, the switch I mentioned before would be a good idea- that way, you can connect the TV, a BD player (if you have one) and anything else that just sits there. Then, your access point would be connected to increase range for the hand-held devices and you would have less wireless congestion.

https://www.cepro.com/article/wireless_networking_second_rate_vs_hardwired

J

James_Ngo

Audioholic Intern
Save yourself and get a mesh network to replace or add to the nighthawk.

This will extend the range for coverage. You can add a gigswitch for multiple device hook up.

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Turns out my AC1900 was docsis 3.0, rather than 3.1, so I was limited to ~850mbps and therefore getting kicked back down to the 400mbps service. Ordered the 3.1, so I should know by Sunday:rolleyes:

J

James_Ngo

Audioholic Intern
Turns out my AC1900 was docsis 3.0, rather than 3.1, so I was limited to ~850mbps and therefore getting kicked back down to the 400mbps service. Ordered the 3.1, so I should know by Sunday:rolleyes:
Make sure the D3.1 come w DS32 (downstream 32 channel) x US8 (upstream 8 Channel). Stay away from the all-in-one type, get them separate. Wireless on the AIO usually goes out 1st.

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Make sure the D3.1 come w DS32 (downstream 32 channel) x US8 (upstream 8 Channel). Stay away from the all-in-one type, get them separate. Wireless on the AIO usually goes out 1st.
These are what I got:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0781VN7W5

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0192911RA

I feel good about these pieces of equipment. I'm also going to relocate my modem and router to get a more straight line to my TV. I'm hoping for consistent 100mbps on the tv.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis