Internet Direct Speaker Brand Comparison

H

Hub67

Enthusiast
I prefer locally owned stores if I can, since it is nice to support the local guy. There are a few locally owned audio stores here which is pretty amazing, considering the proliferation of large corporate chains.

Unfortunately it seems that locally owned stores in Canada have problems selling stock of certain brands (in general, not just audio). Exchange rate, distributor availability, and shipping costs can really kneecap a locally owned store or chain. Usually stores will deal in only a handful of different manufacturers, simply due to better availability or prices due to better service from the distributors.

That is a factor when a lot of research (at least preliminary research) in what item suits you needs is done over the internet. Personally I run into the situation a lot of the time where I want something specific, but none of the locals can get it in. This leaves me to get it from the manufacturer's e-store.

Not being able to buy items in province also bypasses our provincial consumer protection legislation which gives us minimum warranty protections, which can include extending warranty duration based on relative price of the product (high priced stuff should have better guarantees), and having the manufacturer pay shipping costs for warranty work. Shipping costs alone are a big deal for Canadian consumers, especially for larger objects.

Tao - I too prefer to work with a local - this was my first Internet purchase. We have two independent 'high-end stereo' stores in Appleton. We met with both to discuss completing our theater room. We built this home two years ago and one of them did the whole home audio wiring - install. The company that had already done business with us couldn't even come up with the wiring locations behind the walls (they wired it) and we could hardly get them to return a call. I visited their main (local) competition - brought in the plans from our builder with the theater room 'ruffed-in' framing - went through what I wanted. A decent sounding Atmos 5.4.2 with a bass that 'slams' - the main use for this room I movies and PS4 Call of Duty. I told them our electrician was coming out in a few weeks to ruff in the electric - but I wasn't sure where everything (outlets - projector - speaker cables) should go best based on the room dimensions. I couldn't get them to even come out and take a look - I felt as if I wasn't good enough for them - they talked down to me.

So I said screw it. I've had home theater systems before - I've been reading posts on this and a few other sites - I can do this. I stopped at my 'local' Best Buy Magnolia - for $100 (rebated if you spend $500) they come out and told me where everything should go (electrical/wiring) since this is my first projector I wanted it to be placed optimally. I wired it all myself - had our contractor build the room out. I did buy all the electronics/projector/screen from BB - I know they will stand behind it - the 'locals' not so sure - and my guy knew his stuff.

I decided to step out of comfort zone do the speakers/subs Internet direct. I was terrified to buy something this large (both weight and $$$) on the Internet not being able to 'hear' either until they got to my house. I did a ton of research and read a lot of reviews. I nervously awaited my purchases to arrive - hooked them up - tuned and was blown away! I've had some pretty nice systems before - but this blew them all away.

Why I'm sold on Internet direct is two fold. #1 - the customer service (experience) was easy and amazing. #2 - the value was apparent. I work for a manufacturer. We make our 'widget' for $200 - we sell it to our 'dealers' for $400 - they retail it for $1200 - that's quite a mark up before it get to the consumers hands. I was able to buy direct from the manufacturer so I feel I got a hell of a lot more value for the money I spent.

T

Tao1

Audioholic
Hub67

Sorry to hear you had an experience like that. It is a shame when the few larger locally owned places just don't care. Now a days it is almost an art form to have top notch employees who really want to be working there, rather than the typical minimum wage employee. You would thing Best Buy and the larger chains would have that kind of poor service.

That being said, it is great that this practice is at least being upheld by some manufacturers.

JPyman325

JPyman325

Enthusiast
I have had great experience with ID in other areas (like mattresses). So based on good experiences with ID and reviews here and listening to a podcast interview I chose to check out RSL Speakers. I called their number and ended up talking with Joe (one of the owners) and had a great experience I felt like I was talking to a buddy who was their to help me to figure out the best speakers. I asked him about other speakers I was thinking about mainly SVS and what sold me on the RSL's was he said you are in great situation with any of your choices (he was the only dealer.) I have been in contact with Joe and I'm awaiting the arrival of my setup.

Hugo was right on the money when he said the guys at RSL are true Audioholics

sunPin

sunPin

Audioholic Intern
Great, informative article!

How about Reaction Audio? Their CX line of coaxials has gotten A LOT of attention over the last year and are at the top of my list for my next HT upgrade.

You can see the kind of near cult-like loyalty RA customers have to the company at this AVS thread, much of which comes from the fact that RA's owner, Jeremy, responds to email and chat regularly. I've chatted with him before. Really nice guy.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/1661937-official-reaction-audio-thread.html

I'd love to hear what you guys think of their coaxial offerings over traditional component designs.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Great, informative article!

How about Reaction Audio? Their CX line of coaxials has gotten A LOT of attention over the last year and are at the top of my list for my next HT upgrade.

You can see the kind of near cult-like loyalty RA customers have to the company at this AVS thread, much of which comes from the fact that RA's owner, Jeremy, responds to email and chat regularly. I've chatted with him before. Really nice guy.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/1661937-official-reaction-audio-thread.html

I'd love to hear what you guys think of their coaxial offerings over traditional component designs.
I'd love to check out some of their products one day. I hope they stick around :)

graymatter

graymatter

Audiophyte
Is there an updated version of the Tabulated Comparison of the Speaker Brands? It seems the list is many years old at this point.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis