Intermittent Speaker Issues for Cheapskates and Misers

ZakkMylde

ZakkMylde

Audiophyte
image.jpg image.jpg
Ahoy hoy!
Zakk here with my first thread for all of my brothers on a budget. I've been trying to diagnose a problem for a friend of mine who just gave me his late 80's Pioneer all-in-one system. The issue is intermittent speaker drop. He has advised me (and low and behold he was right) with a well placed Fonzy-esque whack and "Ehhh!" The speaker comes back. Already tackled the usual suspects, bad wires, loose connections internally, gummed up contacts... Wondering if anyone has some insight on this dilemma. Model#'s are CSJ825Q (Twin woofer System) and RX-730 (Stereo receiver). Pictures to follow.
All input is appreciated! I know this is a pretty budget system but I've got a burn for the old stuff!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You whack the speaker or the receiver to make it work? Maybe a bad solder joint...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Possibly a bad cap in the x-over in the speaker? Or a bad component in the receiver.

ZakkMylde

ZakkMylde

Audiophyte
Yeah I'm think inking I'm gonna have to redo the passive circuit on the speaker inputs. As hilariously awesome as it is to do the Fonz and make something work by hitting it...I don't think that was an intended function on the original design.

D

desertrider

Audioholic Intern
Maybe some sort of remote controlled whacker for it?

/slowly backs out of thread

ZakkMylde

ZakkMylde

Audiophyte
Issue Resolved!
After doing some poking and proding on the passive circuit boards that govern the speakers I found no issues. All capacitors and resistors were within tolerance, all points soldered well. I sort of gave up after that point however while I was grabbing an LP out of the cabinet my sleeve caught the top of the A-B switch and immediately cut out my right speaker. After a bit of contact cleaner and some vigorous ON-OFF's it's back and even sounding better! Gummed up contacts... GO FIGURE!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis