Interference - computer monitor

R

RedCharles

Full Audioholic
When I turn up the volume, but there is no content playing, I hear a lot of static and interference. I experimented and figured out that my mouse movements changed the pitch of the static (wired mouse). I turned off my monitor and voila, the static went away. What's going on here?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Some of the computer noise being talked about in your other thread it seems....

R

RedCharles

Full Audioholic
Right, but if I'm connected with HDMI, why I am getting interference from the monitor?

R

RedCharles

Full Audioholic
Actually, scratch that. When I turn off the monitor the interference goes away for a few seconds and then comes back.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Right, but if I'm connected with HDMI, why I am getting interference from the monitor?
Could still be computer generated noise, hdmi is still electrical...wonder if its a ground loop hum of some sort...

R

RedCharles

Full Audioholic
I live in a really old house. 1902. I figure the wiring was done in the 1950s. Anyway, I've got no ground on the outlet.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I live in a really old house. 1902. I figure the wiring was done in the 1950s. Anyway, I've got no ground on the outlet.
You could have a ground on the outlet and still have ground loop hum (altho if you did, you could try lifting the ground with a cheater plug as a quick test).

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
Probably some knob and wire wiring still in the house. Even electricians today don't disturb this stuff unless absolutely necessary because it involves removal of lath and plaster walls etc.

Ungrouded outlets not good. Not so bad for double insulted (two pronged) gear, but dangerous with other types of appliances. It also prevents the installation of ground fault sockets in bathroom, kitchen and outdoors -- which are absolute life-savers IMHO. Not to mention installation of newer arc fault sockets which are game changers in fire prevention. (In my state, not a single arc fault equipped home has had an electrical fire attributed to a short.)

Last edited:
R

RedCharles

Full Audioholic
My bathrooms and kitchen are GFCI. It's just a few outlets in the oldest part of the house that aren't grounded.

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
Good to hear! It's not nice completing a circuit. Did that once wiring a dimmer switch... did I curse. Scared the bejesus out of me!

R

RedCharles

Full Audioholic
You could have a ground on the outlet and still have ground loop hum (altho if you did, you could try lifting the ground with a cheater plug as a quick test).
I'm going to run an extension cord to another room that has a grounded outlet, this would isolate the problem further.

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
As long as all your audio equipment is on the same circuit, then the potential of a ground loop will be minimized.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Power supplies in computers, monitors and other devices are noisemakers- it's just a matter of finding something that makes it noticeable.

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
Those damned switch mode power supplies!

Some LED lights, almost all of the ballasts fluorescent lighting, dimmer switches etc. can be troublesome too.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I would think the audio is not decoded in the monitor so somehow only analog goes to it and hence noise is more readily attaches to it?

R

RedCharles

Full Audioholic
I installed a 1080 Ti today, and that fixed the interference issue. Sound quality was improved as well over the R9 Fury Nitro. The Nitro was a used mining card, and that may have had something to do with the interference issue.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis