Interestingly new type of subwoofers, PowerSoft-Audio M-Series Pro Subwoofer

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Look like beefed up bass shakers.
It's a motor design for subwoofers that can handle very large cones, like 30" to 40". It has a ton of throw and a ton of power compared to regular driver motors. I'm not sure how it works exactly but it does not use traditional voice coil type motor designs.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
It's a motor design for subwoofers that can handle very large cones, like 30" to 40". It has a ton of throw and a ton of power compared to regular driver motors. I'm not sure how it works exactly but it does not use traditional voice coil type motor designs.
Thanks, informative. I can't imagine residential use lol, but we've seen insane ones in homes before.

K

karthekean

Audiophyte
Yeah me as well very curious to learn how it works. They added these as supplementary subs in a local theatre in India . People are very excited and it is shaking the entire hall. They also quote adding one of this is equivalent to a 8 unit subwoofer box

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
They make a great amp so suspect this is good stuff but haven't seen it before and not sure how one might implement it at home....but interested.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
It is not really a finished product. It seems like a novel motor system. However the cones look crude and there is no chassis. The other thing I note that Fs is high so you won't get earth shaking bass unless you go to a lot of trouble. I note they are ultra low Q drivers and so could be driven down below Fs. However that would be at greatly reduced efficiency. So the only way I can think of to really make them useful is to load them in an enormous horn. Horn loading with the numbers I see would be really the only method to really harness their power in the last octave. Without that roll off will be north of 30 Hz. Having said that pro subs for large spaces are not known for low frequency extension.

K

karthekean

Audiophyte
It is not really a finished product. It seems like a novel motor system. However the cones look crude and there is no chassis. The other thing I note that Fs is high so you won't get earth shaking bass unless you go to a lot of trouble. I note they are ultra low Q drivers and so could be driven down below Fs. However that would be at greatly reduced efficiency. So the only way I can think of to really make them useful is to load them in an enormous horn. Horn loading with the numbers I see would be really the only method to really harness their power in the last octave. Without that roll off will be north of 30 Hz. Having said that pro subs for large spaces are not known for low frequency extension.
I saw an actual implementation with this product. Lemme grab the image for you ..

Attachments

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I saw an actual implementation with this product. Lemme grab the image for you ..
That implementation is extremely crude and lacks even elementary sophistication. All cones no matter how big need acoustic transformation and a low Q driver especially so. That picture does not impress me one bit, but the obverse.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Looks like you could use it to do some jack-hammering and break concrete too if you want...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis