Interesting take on microLED tech.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I knew about that thread, but wasn't able to find it.
Regrettably, I think that Samsung is only building commercial movie theaters with this screen and dedicated sound (no perf screen means center channel above and below screen) in Asia, so far.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Regrettably, I think that Samsung is only building commercial movie theaters with this screen and dedicated sound (no perf screen means center channel above and below screen) in Asia, so far.
"Moreover, MicroLED should also possess all of the pros that consumers have come to expect from LED backlit LCDs in terms of brightness, affordability (in time), and scalability. "
See bolded word (edits are mine)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
With it being in it's infancy, I don't think there are any permanent installations of this tech yet (outside of samsung). BUT, as BSA pointed out this is the tech to keep your eyes on for future displays. If it works as advertised there won't be a need for traditional TVs, Projectors, Monitors, etc, just due to the fact of how modular the tech is.

The main drawback I can see (where I'm sure is being worked out) is the "resolution" of each panel. The reason that's important is when you try to use something like this as a PC monitor, DPI comes into play much quicker than with a traditional TV or PJ.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I'm excited! And I certainly won't be buying any TVs any time soon either, so grow baby, grow!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
So, the issues I've run into with current tech 1mm LED direct view displays is that it is a VERY inconsistent technology that has a VERY long way to go and is VERY expensive.

That's a lot of 'verys' right there.

I've used the Planar direct view displays and while performance has been decent, it hasn't been out of this world. I got to watch the Superbowl a couple years ago on a 17' diagonal 4K setup that I programmed. Planar had come in and done their calibration of the panels to ensure image uniformity... But, that's what it took. They had to come in and they spent a few days calibrated a double 4K display - so about 33' wide. It was a lot of work on their part.

If we had to exchange a single panel, then it would need to be calibrated to the rest of the wall.

Price: About $750,000.

The seams were still visible and readily apparent between the different displays despite a great deal of time butting them up against one another accurately. It's apparently not as easy, or as clean, as manufacturers would like you to believe that it is.

'Just add some tiles!' is the claim, but the reality remains that it is far more difficult than that to achieve.

Front projection being replace with a inexpensive direct view LED solution, including OLED, is certainly a nice goal, but a usable 150" diagonal 4K setup can be put together for under $3,000. You can find a few 85" displays around that price point, but forget anything larger. The 98" TVs are $10,000+ from what I've seen.

Nothing over 100" has anything approaching real world pricing.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
So, the issues I've run into with current tech 1mm LED direct view displays is that it is a VERY inconsistent technology that has a VERY long way to go and is VERY expensive.

That's a lot of 'verys' right there.

I've used the Planar direct view displays and while performance has been decent, it hasn't been out of this world. I got to watch the Superbowl a couple years ago on a 17' diagonal 4K setup that I programmed. Planar had come in and done their calibration of the panels to ensure image uniformity... But, that's what it took. They had to come in and they spent a few days calibrated a double 4K display - so about 33' wide. It was a lot of work on their part.

If we had to exchange a single panel, then it would need to be calibrated to the rest of the wall.

Price: About $750,000.

The seams were still visible and readily apparent between the different displays despite a great deal of time butting them up against one another accurately. It's apparently not as easy, or as clean, as manufacturers would like you to believe that it is.

'Just add some tiles!' is the claim, but the reality remains that it is far more difficult than that to achieve.

Front projection being replace with a inexpensive direct view LED solution, including OLED, is certainly a nice goal, but a usable 150" diagonal 4K setup can be put together for under $3,000. You can find a few 85" displays around that price point, but forget anything larger. The 98" TVs are $10,000+ from what I've seen.

Nothing over 100" has anything approaching real world pricing.
So in your estimation we're talking maybe a minimum of 10 years for this to even be close to viable? That's if something else doesn't come out first/cheaper.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
So in your estimation we're talking maybe a minimum of 10 years for this to even be close to viable? That's if something else doesn't come out first/cheaper.
I'm not sure what exactly Samsung and Sony are using for their video wall setups, but I don't think tiled displays have a place in the home market at any point. Maybe something will change, but the alignment between panels is not as consumer friendly as I think it needs to be to not raise complaints.

Flip side will be things like 'roll up' tech. Printable OLED technologies perhaps. LG has their new (stupid expensive!) roll up OLED screen. But, when those things get to 90+ inches, or possibly super-massive sized, we will see what the competition comes up with.

Direct view LED has certain advantages which are very commercial friendly. Most notably it is actually rated for 24/7 use. In fact, instead of turning off the display, you just send a 'black' screen to the display and it goes to 100% off. True black floor. The other thing is that they are insanely bright. I've used them indoors with a 22' and a 33' display. Both times we ended up setting the brightness to about 20% of maximum so that it was tolerable indoors.

So, you know, bright enough for outdoor daytime use in Times Square, but kinda the wrong tech for your family room. At least as I see it now. A fixed size setup certainly is an option.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis