Inter-species mind control

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Wow, I noticed the authors are in China :oops: :eek:.

Reminds me of the Borg in Star Trek… "Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated". If they bred rats instead of capturing and assimilating humans, they would have achieved their goals much sooner. With enough rat cyborgs, humans would be irrelevant.
1549478015916.png

That is, until something better came along
1549478174023.png

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
This is nothing new!
I have noticed for years that if there is a squirrel in the road he will invariably decide to "dodge" at the exact same time and direction that I swerve the car. It is obvious his comparatively weak mind is frozen with the prospect of this huge object hurtling towards him and the decision I make to attempt not to hit him takes over his mind and he goes exactly where I envision going, thus splattering his guts along the road.
After some thought, I have started mostly ignoring the presence of a squirrel in my path and aim to just barely miss him (without focusing on that thought) and my (unintentional) kill rate has dropped considerably!
O'possums, on the other hand are a totally different deal. They get in the road with the prospect of committing suicide and apply mind control to me such that I routinely run 'em down! I like to think my mind is stronger than their's but their desire to end it all is simply overwhelming (I can't blame them, after all, they are o'possums)!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
When I read the intro of that article, where the recent developments of brain-machine (BMI) and brain-brain interfaces (BBI) were briefly reviewed, I noticed this sentence:

One example of a BBI between humans detected motor intention with EEG (electro encephalogram) signals recorded from one volunteer and transmitted this information over the internet to the motor cortex region of another volunteer by transcranial magnetic stimulation, which resulted in the direct information transmission from one human brain to another using noninvasive means.​

Apparently, they believe that transcranial magnetic stimulation is noninvasive. I think it's tinfoil hat time.

And then, I lost it after reading this:

In a very recent work, a BBI was developed to implement motion control of a cyborg cockroach by combining a human’s SSVEP BMI and electrical nerve stimulation on the cockroach’s antennas. The cyborg cockroach could then be navigated by the human brain to complete walking along an S-shaped track.​
Cyborg cockroach :eek:!?! Who needs rats when China could invade us with hordes of cyborg cockroaches.
1549502325861.png

I'm going to look at the box of aluminum foil in the kitchen to see if it is also made in China, right now. If so, it may already be too late.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
F the Faraday cage... we need Faraday Zorb Balls!

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I'm glad I could amuse you guys. But frankly, I wasn't trying to amuse. The potential military applications of advanced versions of this technology are indeed frightening. This why I get cynical about science fiction. Reality is more concerning and exciting.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I'm glad I could amuse you guys. But frankly, I wasn't trying to amuse. The potential military applications of advanced versions of this technology are indeed frightening. This why I get cynical about science fiction. Reality is more concerning and exciting.
It's difficult to predict the future, especially if you go beyond five years into the future. That's why I'm amused by looking at predictions made decades ago. Most of them were overestimates, wrong, or irrelevant. In my own field, there were predictions that molecular biology would result in the creation of artificial life, in our own lifetimes. Or that diseases, including cancer, would be eliminated, allowing humans to live to well beyond 100 years, even to 200 years. So far, that hasn't happened.

What did happen was usually unimaginable to the predictors. Did anyone in the 1950s or 60s foresee wireless computers in our pockets? And that people use them to post cat videos and argue over politics. In medicine, our ability to eradicate serious viral infectious diseases has been effective enough that large segments of our population ignore the continued need to vaccinate their children. Large pharmaceutical corporations have made fortunes selling newly developed drugs, and they use that money to essentially bribe the federal government into protecting that wealth.

This isn't about predicting the future of science or it's potential dangers. It's about recognizing that human nature doesn't change.

I do worry about those hordes of Chinese cyborg cockroaches. The cyborg crocs guarding our borders won't be interested in invasions by puny insects.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Did anyone in the 1950s or 60s foresee wireless computers in our pockets?
Roddenberry and Jobs. They got to see the alien technology! :) Sh!t, the NSA is on to me... where's my Chinese Foil hat?! :p

The potential military applications of advanced versions of this technology are indeed frightening
Indeed, when I was growing up back in the 80's I had a book that talked about chemical weapons... not as we know them to be, but Rose Colored :), halucinogenic a la MK Ultra. Best way to pacify the populace is to drug them rather than kill them all. Mustard gas and the likes are messy! But now it's AI and our pending doom a la Terminator. Nanobots and mind control? Borg assimilation?
There comes a point... where we just have to live our lives though.
Sure we laugh at it. We have to as a defense mechanism, even in the face of a new cold war and our pending annihilation at the hands of the men we have collectively allowed to ascend to power.
And hope.
Duck and cover still works, ya?o_O

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
The potential military applications of advanced versions of this technology are indeed frightening.
Bomb laden drone fighters circling overhead would scare the sh!t out of me but I don't live in any of those countries.

Rat mind control might be the rough draft of a human mind control application. I'm pretty sure the military has looked into chemical and psychological forms of controlling human behavior. I mean, who wants to control rats? Beyond military applications the other obvious use for this type of technology would be to turn my life into a waking version of an Axe commercial. Hordes and hordes of aroused twenty something year old, model material women racing to get their hands on me. :cool:

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Or that diseases, including cancer, would be eliminated, allowing humans to live to well beyond 100 years, even to 200 years. So far, that hasn't happened.

What did happen was usually unimaginable to the predictors. Did anyone in the 1950s or 60s foresee wireless computers in our pockets? And that people use them to post cat videos and argue over politics.

This isn't about predicting the future of science or it's potential dangers. It's about recognizing that human nature doesn't change.

I do worry about those hordes of Chinese cyborg cockroaches. The cyborg crocs guarding our borders won't be interested in invasions by puny insects.
WRT living 100 or 200 years- even without cancer, people can't live much more than 100 years- they would need to add something that slows aging, Alzheimer's and other debilitating diseases. Also, how would we house and feed all of the people who weren't accounted for in estimates for demands and how could they afford to live so long?

In the '50s and '60s, people didn't have the knowledge to understand such complex devices, but Arthur C Clarke and Star Trek came about as close to being accurate as anyone, IMO.

I think Human Nature does change- it seems to be making people worse.

I laugh at Chinese cyborg cockroaches- we have feet, let's use them! And if they scurry into the corner, it's time to get some roach-killers.

https://i.pinimg.com/474x/1a/6d/db/1a6ddb4215976c34c4bd925dae5e1ab5.jpg

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm going to look at the box of aluminum foil in the kitchen to see if it is also made in China, right now. If so, it may already be too late.
If you bought it at Dollar Tree, it probably is. Just sayin'...

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

.... Most of them were overestimates, wrong, or irrelevant. In my own field, there were predictions that molecular biology would result in the creation of artificial life, in our own lifetimes. Or that diseases, including cancer, would be eliminated, allowing humans to live to well beyond 100 years, even to 200 years. So far, that hasn't happened.
Well, you are still alive so it may happen yet.;) People without disease do not live that long now; they die of old age.:)

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
Wow, I noticed the authors are in China :oops::eek:.

Reminds me of the Borg in Star Trek… "Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated". If they bred rats instead of capturing and assimilating humans, they would have achieved their goals much sooner. With enough rat cyborgs, humans would be irrelevant.
View attachment 28112

That is, until something better came along
View attachment 28113
Those were my thoughts too.

Interesting, I recently watched a medical type documentary series from Australia. Can't recall the name right now. However, they surprised me on several occasions pointing out some of the leading edge medical research being done in China.

highfigh

highfigh

Those were my thoughts too.

Interesting, I recently watched a medical type documentary series from Australia. Can't recall the name right now. However, they surprised me on several occasions pointing out some of the leading edge medical research being done in China.
I think Americans have been lulled into complacency by people telling us that we're the best and brightest, with the latest and greatest. Common Core Math is a way to make it understandable by people who don't have the ability to learn it in another way which, oddly enough, is the way EVERYONE ELSE IN THE WORLD LEARNS IT. Communist countries have made sure to send the brightest through more difficult schools and training and some go to foreign schools, but they learn STEM material and originally, many would return to their home country to use that knowledge to improve things but once they would see that the opportunities were better here, they stayed. I met many when I went to an engineering school in the '70s and a few were my professors.

Who chooses the educational material and designs the curriculua? Blame them.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis