Integrated amplifier with USB input and subwoofer out?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Good sub. It would connect as described in my first sentence in a previous post. ...and it will rock.

J

jetsetter439

Audioholic Intern
I swear I'm a reasonably intelligent person in real life, but you might have to dumb this down for me a bit. I have posted pictures of the items I am interested in purchasing below. Would you kindly let me know how to establish the connections between everything?

NAD C 316BEE:

SVS SB-1000:

Schiit Bifrost DAC:

Source would be USB from PC.

Thanks!

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
If you follow the first paragraph in post 78 you should be fine.

Do you know what "parallel" means when it comes to connecting speakers? That means two pairs of wires coming out of the amp's speaker (red/black) terminals. One pair goes to the speaker (red/black) terminals on the sub. The other pair goes to the (red/black) terminals on the speakers.

You might want to look at the owners manual or quick start guide for that subwoofer you posted a link to in a previous post. There's a link to them under the "tech specs" tab. Yes, you don't have a power amp but you should be able to figure it out.

Connecting the sub really isn't all that difficult. You really have to take a little ownership of what you're getting into and apply a little thought on your own.

As for the bifrost, a red/black analog interconnect between it and the amp is all that's required. As to how you connect your source to it, that depends on what you are connecting to it.

Last edited:
J

jetsetter439

Audioholic Intern
Hi Mark,

I am not familiar with parallel wiring but am doing a bit of research right now. I'm just trying to understand if this setup is either better or worse than simply connecting the speakers in a conventional manner and using a dedicated connection to the subwoofer, whether thats pre-amp out or subwoofer out. For example, there is the NAD 326 BEE which has a pre-amp out. Is that somehow "better"?

While probably not warranted, I'm a bit concerned with connecting two wires to the same speaker output on the amplifier, but perhaps I shouldn't be. I guess it's just a new concept to me.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Well, I've pretty much given all I have to give. I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

J

jetsetter439

Audioholic Intern
I get the general gist. What I don't understand is how a single L/R speaker output such as below can possibly accommodate more than one connection.

I will continue to research further.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I get the general gist. What I don't understand is how a single L/R speaker output such as below can possibly accommodate more than one connection.

I am not sure about Integrated amps at the price point of the NAD316 but the Outlaw RR2150 receiver offer much more for a little more money.

http://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/outlaw-audio-rr2150-receiver-review

As others have told you already, the sub's speaker level inputs can be connected to the NAD's speaker binding post outputs. They are designed for it so do not worry, just make sure you connect them correctly and don't mixed up the polarity. If you go with the RR2150 then you have more connection choices, though in terms of sound quality, one way (connections) is not necessary better than the other.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

That's because the subwoofer has it's own internal amplifier, it's speaker level inputs offer very high impedance to the driving amp. So the draw from the driving amplifier (NAD316BEE if that's your final choice) is negligible, ie. virtually no effect. The NAD will basically only see you L/R speakers and won't be affected (practically speaking) by the load effect of the subwoofer.

J

jetsetter439

Audioholic Intern
So, you guys are saying that I can take the sub wire and the speaker wire and literally combine them into the speaker output on the NAD 316CBEE?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi Mark,

I am not familiar with parallel wiring but am doing a bit of research right now. I'm just trying to understand if this setup is either better or worse than simply connecting the speakers in a conventional manner and using a dedicated connection to the subwoofer, whether thats pre-amp out or subwoofer out. For example, there is the NAD 326 BEE which has a pre-amp out. Is that somehow "better"?

While probably not warranted, I'm a bit concerned with connecting two wires to the same speaker output on the amplifier, but perhaps I shouldn't be. I guess it's just a new concept to me.
That NAD does not have a preamp output, only speaker connections. Preamp output is controlled by the volume control.

The terminals on the amplifier and subwoofer are called 'binding posts'. If you use four conductor speaker wire, it will be easy to connect the speakers and sub correctly.

Loosen the red and black plastic pieces on each speaker and amplifier by rotating them counter-clockwise, so the hole in the threaded part is visible.

If you'll place the subwoofer near the NAD, you would connect one set of speaker wires at the main speakers and another set of speaker wires at the subwoofer's speaker level binding posts.

Next, connect the remaining end of the main speaker wires to the remaining end of the wires going to the subwoofer- twist the red wire ends together, insert that into the Right (+) binding post and tighten the red part. Twist the black wires together, insert them in the Right (-) binding post and tighten the black part. Twist the Green wires together and insert them in the Left (-) binding post, tighten the black part and then twist the White wires together before inserting them in the Left (+) binding post before tightening the red part.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
So, you guys are saying that I can take the sub wire and the speaker wire and literally combine them into the speaker output on the NAD 316CBEE?
At the connections of the NAD, the answer is YES. See my comments below.

J

jetsetter439

Audioholic Intern
Highfigh,

Thanks for your help. Is this what you are talking about below?

If so, where might I plug in the DAC? And lastly, is the four conductor speaker wire highly recommended over standard speaker wire?

Thanks so much!

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Highfigh,

Thanks for your help. Is this what you are talking about below?

If so, where might I plug in the DAC? And lastly, is the four conductor speaker wire highly recommended over standard speaker wire?

Thanks so much!
Plug the DAC into one of the inputs on the amp. Such as CD. Then your done.

J

jetsetter439

Audioholic Intern
Thanks anamorphic. I believe I understand the wiring schematics now.

However, how does one connect the two ended speaker wire into one of the amplifier output terminals (for example L speaker minus).

I have seen and heard things about terminators and banana plugs, etc but I am not sure if/how these factor into my situation.

J

jetsetter439

Audioholic Intern
It seems like I would need some sort of Y-adapter to accommodate two outgoing speaker connections from one amp terminal. No?

J

jetsetter439

Audioholic Intern
UPDATE: It also occured to me that I can simply choose an alternate subwoofer as a way to eliminate the need for any advanced wiring (or, what I see as advanced).

The subwoofer I was originally looking at is this: http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/sealed-box/sb-1000, however, it has only high level speaker level input, but no output.

I called Crutchfield for the heck of it who recommended the Definitive ProSub 1000 (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-cvQKh6cKsyN/p_735PSUB1KB/Definitive-Technology-ProSub-1000.html), which has both of the above mentioned connections.

In any event, is choosing a different subwoofer a viable option? And if so, any other recommendations in a similar price range?

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Your original need for music with good fidelity for desktop use seems to be forgotten in this escalating more... bigger... more... bigger... spiral. So, let's take a step back.

First of all, the Schiit DAC is a huge waste of your budget. In the OP, you were keen on a USB connection, perhaps, due to readily available USB ports and a desire to not open the PC. Just add a cheap sounds card to your PC (it is easier than you suspect) and run optical or coax cable. This one is $20 shipped on Amazon,
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0045JHJSS/

A NAD integrated with optical or coax and Paradigm Millennia One 2.0 seem to be on your mind and will do just fine. The speakers roll of at 100Hz so a subwoofer is mandatory. Even the higher end NAD integrated you linked does not have pre-outs. But, KEW gave you a way to make this work. But, the kludge writing did not appeal to you and rightfully so. It was not the ideal way to connect things up, especially if proper bass management is desired.

The Yamaha S301 I initially recommended accepts optical/coax, has bass/treble/loudness controls and a subwoofer out. Accessories4Less also has a couple Onkyo Integrated amps that will do it. They've been mentioned in this thread.

That said, none of the integrated amps in your budget do proper bass management. An entry level AV receiver from 5 years ago will do a better job. It is not just about doubling the signal. A crossover is needed to make the mains and subwoofer blend. Additionally, the timing needs to be controlled. Slapping a Phase knob on a sub amp is not the way to go about this. The Denon X4000 linked before, in 2.0 mode is more powerful than any of the integrated amps mentioned here and fits your budget. I would urge you not to write off AVRs.

I'm not a big fan of using speaker levels to route signal to a powered sub. If you want a subwoofer in the mix, commit to a processor that does bass management correctly.

A complete departure from this will be the minimalist approach, Audioengine D2 and A5 or A2+ with a subwoofer.

Last edited:
anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
To be honest I don't what else can be done with the OP. The high level connection with the SB-1000 will work just fine but OP can't seem to get his head around it or seems to think its complicated. It's not. I have used it in my system for a couple of weeks before using the sub out instead. He is just way over thinking this. All he has to do is follow the diagrams.

On a side note that Def Tech sub suggested by Crutchfield is a joke compared to the SVS.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Thanks anamorphic. I believe I understand the wiring schematics now.

However, how does one connect the two ended speaker wire into one of the amplifier output terminals (for example L speaker minus).

I have seen and heard things about terminators and banana plugs, etc but I am not sure if/how these factor into my situation.
See post #90.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis