Integra/Onkyo Surround Modes w/HD DVR

mleuba

mleuba

Enthusiast
Hello Integra and Onkyo Owners. A little help please.

I own an Integra DTR 7.8. I am using Optical input into IN2, from my FIOS/Motorola HD DVR. When playing a TV feed through the receiver, I am not able to use the same range of Surround modes that work with my DVD input, which is connected to the receiver via analog.

The configuration allows me to watch TV without turning on the receiver if I don't want to (the DVR is connected to the Pioneer Kuros through HDMI).

When watching/listening to a show fed through the HD DVR Tuner my receiver allows these options: Digital Dolby, THX, Mono, Stereo, Theater-Dimensional. It does not show the surround modes Pro Logic II, NEO, or the Neural THX, which are available when viewing a DVD. Again, the DVD audio is connected analog to the Integra.

Another but perhaps separate issue is that when I am playing live through the DVR tuner, the 5.1 surround rear speaker volume seems very low as compared to DVD, Audio CD or even the DVR player when it is playing a previously recorded show….very weird, no? Again, the DVR audio comes in Optical to the Integra for both the live and the recorded shows.

Question:
Is there digital encoding that is restricting the surround modes on the optical input from the Motorola, that are not in play with the analog feed?

Thanks for your insights!

B

BobSD

Audioholic
How do you like your 7.8, I just had mine for a month and a half. I bought it mostly for music. I do not have the technical expertise like most that post here, hopefully some one will reply. I have a HDMI TV and everything goes from my receiver through the HDMI monitor out. I have found just watching different programs on TV not all the options are available as well, Like if it is brodcasting in Stereo or HD. Seems to have mind of its own but I am happy with what it does for me, and I like using the Channel select to either boost or decrease my my 5.1 speakers but I wish it had memory so I would not have to do it every time I first turn it on. I have hearing lost in my right ear so I boost the right speakers a little. BTW, I paid $1,308 including Tax No deals in small towns. Rapid City SD

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Question:
Is there digital encoding that is restricting the surround modes on the optical input from the Motorola, that are not in play with the analog feed?
PLII and Neo:6 should work on any 2 channel analog or digital source. If you can't select PLII then the signal the receiver is seeing is not DD 2.0/5.1 or 2 channel PCM or the sample rate changed to one that is not supported by the receiver and the best it can do is use Stereo.

Did you set any defaults for listening modes like D.F. Mono/Stereo? If the signal is digital but not one of the above it should use that default and that may be your issue if the dvr is changing the signal in any way.

I like using the Channel select to either boost or decrease my my 5.1 speakers but I wish it had memory so I would not have to do it every time I first turn it on.
If you use the ch sel buttons without being in setup mode the adjustments are temporary until you put the receiver in stand by. It allows you to make 'on the fly' adjustments but will revert back to the calibrated levels when you next turn it on.

Start the test tones and then adjust each level to how you like it and they will be saved.

J

jaysonbarnett

Audioholic Intern
dvr box

hey i had the same problem with my direct hd dvr and i tried everything. I long story short i went into the menu on the dvr box (your case motorola box) and found the audio settings. There should be a setting for dolby digital. I have the onkyo 805 which kind of close to the integra anyway try that and let me know what happens.:)

mleuba

mleuba

Enthusiast
BobSD - I like my Integra 7.8 a LOT. Feeding a B&W set with CM7 Fronts, CM6 Center, CM1 Surrounds...Velodyne Minivee sub. I am 50/50 music to video. Still learning the system but the audio quality pleases me immensely...

MDS and jasonbarnett - thanks for the info. I will check for DD settings between the DVR and the receiver !

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis