Integra/Onkyo Speaker Configuration Setting

mleuba

mleuba

Enthusiast
Hi All!

I have an Integra 7.8 receiver with B&W CM7-CMCENTER-CM1 5.1 setup with Velodyne Mini-Vee subwoofer.

I used the Audyssey setup and then experimented with the setup menu, Speaker configuration, which allows you to select Full Band or a cross-over frequency for each speaker. I set my front CM7 to Full Band, the CM-Center and the CM-1 Rears I set to 80 khz(THX). To me, it sounds like this provides a clearer midrange, I think by directing <80 khz to the front towers and the sub-woofer only.

Does this make sense to you all, and have I "cancelled" the Audyssey setup by doing this or not...

Thanks!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi. Did the Audyssey routine set all of the speakers to Full Band? If so, that's pretty typical even for smaller speakers, and it's also pretty typical for users to change those settings. I own Pioneer receivers that use MCACC instead of Audyssey, and they set my bookshelf speakers to "LARGE" (the equivalent of Full Band on your receiver). I always set them to "SMALL" in order to send the lower frequencies to my sub instead.

In short - no, you aren't cancelling out the benefits of the Audyssey set up by setting a different crossover for your speakers.

mleuba

mleuba

Enthusiast
Thanks Adam,
When you declare your bookshelfs to be Small,do you then have the ability to set the crossover frequency for them? What do you think about setting that to the 80Khz THX frequency for the Center AND the bookshelves? The CMCenter has a tweeter and two mids, no bass speakers...

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Xover your mains as well. Even if at a lower point than 80hz. Or, that's what I would do with those speakers.

Applying xover leaves Audyssey as still engaged.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
If it were me, I'd set the crossover on the CM Center and CM1s at 80Hz. Both designs go down to 55Hz at +/- 3dB and are "-6dB at 45Hz and 50kHz" (according to B&W's website), but I don't know why there are two frequencies given for the -6dB value. So, I think that your MiniVee will do better.

I'd also experiment with the crossover on the CM7s. They are listed at "62Hz - 22kHz ±3dB" and "-6dB at 34Hz and 50kHz". You may very well find the bass to be more enjoyable if you send the lower frequencies for the mains to the subwoofer, too.

I'd say play around with it and see what you think. You can also use test tones and an SPL meter to measure the response of the system at your listening position.

You may even be able to rerun the Audyssey set up with the crossovers hard set (I can do that on my most recent Pioneer receiver), which might even out the response better.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis