Integra & Onkyo New Network Class G Stereo Receivers for 2024

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's certainly valid, but a lot of people with surround sound systems that came from 2-channel still put as much effort into 2-channel, and not just for nostalgia's sake. The .1+ certainly does a lot to loosen up those limitations quite a bit. As does the lengths they have come with such things like BSC, cone shapes/materials, wave guides, distortion etc.
Oh I spent much of my audio life in 2ch, not even the option of better low response of subs until many years later ! :) LFE is one thing, bass management another, and multiple subs another etc

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Oh I spent much of my audio life in 2ch, not even the option of better low response of subs until many years later ! :) LFE is one thing, bass management another, and multiple subs another etc
Same.

To some people though, everything will be limited and will never find the end. Some will swear 3 channel is immersive enough, some 5, 7, 9. . . which is how we kind of got to where we are. Many will notice limitations merely for it being suggested to them, where they never would have realized it otherwise.

Where do you go from here, though? I'm at the point where I don't want to focus on anymore than I am currently.

While I certainly had spent much of my life in 2-channel and had done just about everything that could be done with it, I have found much more that I could not have covered until recently. It's not the same as it used to be. It would be even better if they made more complete 2-channel amps. The multi-channel AVR certainly has done a lot for 2-channel. It has me and others barking for them to include all the current bass mechanism to 2-channel amps.

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
Immersive.... it is a specific type of illusion.

In fact strictly speaking the original meaning of stereo is, "providing a solid/3d impression" - and in its early 20th century initial use it was aimed at a 3 channel setup.

Well recorded 2 channel stereo - played back through a well set up 2,3, or more channel system can indeed be immersive, and provide the illusion intended.

Many (most) multichannel setups actually mess up the "stereo" and as a result corrupt the solidity/immersiveness of that image...

A well set up an properly tweaked 3 channel system using PLII or Logic7 (or similar) can in fact provide an excellent "stereo" image, which maintains its "solidity" through a wide listening area.... a 2 channel setup can do the same, without the PLII or Logic7, but can only do it in a limited sweet spot.

Really multichannel, although being able in theory, to be used to create "stereo" illusions, is more usually used to generate surrealist or impressionist images and effects.... it is extremely rare for an artist today to try to use multichannel to recreate a realist even.

So for those of us seeking that realist reproduction of an acoustic event - 2 channel stereo - and the means of reproducing it, remains the ultimate.

Having said all that, a well set up multichannel system can absolutely be used for 2 channel stereo.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
With all due respect, with 2.1 or 2.2 you are missing a whole lot of immersion. Nothing similar to 5.2 and far cry from 7.2.4 or 9.2.6. Each additional channel is providing additional spatial resolution that you can't otherwise experience.

The fact that you are content with 2.1 or 2.2 if absolutely fine, but not to be confused with the fact that higher channel count systems will objectively provide more immersive experience, albeit at increased cost.
Good point, there are at least two use cases so it helps to spell them out for clarity as each may have slightly different requirements in terms of the kind of bass management features we are discussing. In my case I referred to not really 2.2 or 2.1 but simply L/R with sub on each side, in order to listen to music in 2ch stereo with frequency response extended down to 20 Hz and from 20-around 300 Hz +/- 1 to 2 dB. That is not practically possible without the use of subs, not even with most so called full range towers.

To achieve that, one would most likely need to use RC such as well tuned Audyssey XT32 SubEQHT, DLBC, or 3rd party RC software/REW/minidsp etc., and that's why truly 2.1/2.2's bass management features are needed, even for 2ch stereo music listening. I know others would actually watch movies in 2.1/2.2, that I do not.

itschris

itschris

I'm not sure where the new 2.1 stuff fits anymore, but at the same time... I'm interested and into any gear. I've just integrated an upgraded 2 channel setup into my HT. It's basically a high end streamer/dac into amp into speakers. I mean that's about as pure channel as you get while keeping the ease and joy of having all of your music at your fingertips.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Same.

To some people though, everything will be limited and will never find the end. Some will swear 3 channel is immersive enough, some 5, 7, 9. . . which is how we kind of got to where we are. Many will notice limitations merely for it being suggested to them, where they never would have realized it otherwise.

Where do you go from here, though? I'm at the point where I don't want to focus on anymore than I am currently.

While I certainly had spent much of my life in 2-channel and had done just about everything that could be done with it, I have found much more that I could not have covered until recently. It's not the same as it used to be. It would be even better if they made more complete 2-channel amps. The multi-channel AVR certainly has done a lot for 2-channel. It has me and others barking for them to include all the current bass mechanism to 2-channel amps.
I find my rooms are the limits more than the gear in terms of what is sufficient...either size or that I don't want to mess with in ceiling speakers. I do have one 2ch setup still, as that's all the gear can do, it's also my smallest and least used room. I haven't changed anything for a while, pretty satisfied with what I've got. Also allows more time to simply enjoy the content, whether music or movies....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis