Integra DHC-80.3 AV Preamp Controller Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The Integra DHC-80.3 has just about everything you might want in a processor - 9.2 channels, Audyssey MultEQ XT32, XLR outputs, ISFccc calibration options, DTS Neo:X processing, THX Ultra2+ certification, three zones with video out to zone 2, HDMI 1.4a with 3D, ARC, Standby Pass-thru...the list goes on. What is most impressive, however, is that they aren't charging you a premium for all these features in an ampless box. Instead, they are giving you $400 off the price of the receiver. While this won't buy you all the amps you'll need, it is better than what most of the rest of the manufactures.

Discuss "Integra DHC-80.3 AV Preamp Controller Preview" here. Read the article.

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
I own an Integra DHC-80.2 and it's already outdated- LOL.:)

Scotch1

Audiophyte
I'm not that familiar with Integra products. The DHC 80.3 is truly featrue rich, but would it be considered more suitable for home theater or enjoying good music? I am weighing in on the choice of the Integra or a Pioneer Elite SC-57. I have a Rotel 1095 wich can service the amp needs for either one.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm not that familiar with Integra products. The DHC 80.3 is truly featrue rich, but would it be considered more suitable for home theater or enjoying good music? I am weighing in on the choice of the Integra or a Pioneer Elite SC-57. I have a Rotel 1095 wich can service the amp needs for either one.
Both the Integra & Pioneer are fantastic with both music and movies; their sound quality will be excellent.

Scotch1

Audiophyte
In a blind listening test, could you actually tell the difference? Ex. Is one brighter than the other or perhaps one is more neutral?

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
Stereofile Class A

Stereofile rated the Integra DHC-80.2 as Class A- in October of 2011.
The Integra DHC-80.3 is just an updated video processor version- so it should be very good! I wish the Audio Holics would review the Integra DHC-80.3. You would probably find it to be the new Heavy Weight Champion!;)

X

xwing

Audiophyte
Is the PREAMP OUTPUT level on Onkyo/Integras adequate finally, at LEAST 2 Volts RMS instead of 0.707V?

I have an older top of line Onkyo TX NR905 receiver, and hooked to Earthquake Cinenova 7 channel 600 Watt/ch amp, it played QUIETER than the internal amps, because of Onkyo's LOW 0.707 Volt RMS (measured) preamp output! I had to swap out resistors in the amp to make it somewhat better (thanks to Earthquake's VERY helpful tech section).

The DHC 80.3 specs say 1.0V rated/5.5V max RCA preamp output, and
2V rated/11V max XLR preamp output.

The older TX NR 905 was rated at 1V but measured 0.707 RMS...just not adequate, as the Cinenova needs 1.7VAC RMS to clip 116dBA output.

I'd like to buy a new Integra DHC 80.3 preamp, but will not until I know it can properly feed my amplifier, or other high end amps I might choose to get.

P

PedroDepue

Audiophyte
I have a Rotel 1095 wich can service the amp needs for either one

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
I own an Integra DHC-80.2 and it drives an Outlaw Model 770 amp with much aplomb. You'll have no problem with The DHC-80.3 being able to drive your amp!;)
Is the PREAMP OUTPUT level on Onkyo/Integras adequate finally, at LEAST 2 Volts RMS instead of 0.707V?

I have an older top of line Onkyo TX NR905 receiver, and hooked to Earthquake Cinenova 7 channel 600 Watt/ch amp, it played QUIETER than the internal amps, because of Onkyo's LOW 0.707 Volt RMS (measured) preamp output! I had to swap out resistors in the amp to make it somewhat better (thanks to Earthquake's VERY helpful tech section).

The DHC 80.3 specs say 1.0V rated/5.5V max RCA preamp output, and
2V rated/11V max XLR preamp output.

The older TX NR 905 was rated at 1V but measured 0.707 RMS...just not adequate, as the Cinenova needs 1.7VAC RMS to clip 116dBA output.

I'd like to buy a new Integra DHC 80.3 preamp, but will not until I know it can properly feed my amplifier, or other high end amps I might choose to get.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis