Inspecting woofers in my La Scalas

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
A few months ago, I purchased 1975 Klipsch La Scalas with new top of the line tweeters, midrange drivers and xovers. According to the seller, the upgrades were done "a couple years ago". He bought them like that and his wife made him sell them. She hated how big they are. They sound incredibly great, but I am super curious to find out if I have stock or upgraded woofers. For anyone who might know: I did try to remove the bottom (bass cab) to inspect the woofer on one speakers and after removing all of the screws, it was super stuck so I gave up and replaced the screws thinking I'd try again at a later date. So I am wondering, since the covers are on there so tight, is that how they are stock, or did someone go in there to possibly upgrade the woofers? Second question: once I get one off, what kind of gasket material should I have to re-install the cover? Perhaps some semi-drying liquid gasket that you might use on a motorcycle case cover? I have a tube of that. Today might be the day to see what I have in there.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What tweeters, mids and bass drivers did they replace with? Is this a common tried and tested thing with these speakers? I'd be a little bit leery buying modified speakers unless I did all the homework.

As far as getting them apart I'm not much good to you. I've taken many speakers apart but I'm unfamiliar with how yours are put together. Is the driver in a position that looks like it should pop right out or is something in the way? A pic or 2 might help. Sometimes they just stick in there pretty tight and need pried out, but if you're not careful you could damage the cab.

I'd contact the seller and ask him exactly what new components were used, or at least where he had it done.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
The seller has no clue. He thought just the mid horns were replaced. Turns out that the tweeters are Crites, the xover is the proper Crites model and the mid driver is not Crites but is highly recommended on Klipsch forums as a fantastic driver. 240263395_10222095331904579_5144963576111359560_n.jpg240511717_10222095414426642_1319259335400133406_n.jpg240523950_10222095333864628_7117996585987194581_n.jpg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That's a little more helpful. Without digging in and researching a little I'm not gonna be much good to you, but at least now we have a little bit more to chew on for our Klipsch fans to give you some better answers.

There are some legit aftermarket upgrades out there for some of those old speaker models that do apparently offer some tangible improvements. Reworked crossovers should be a part of it too, to be done right and it sounds like yours are.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Just got a cover off. Stock Klipsch 18" woofers (I think 18"). I will put the cover back on for now. Then research if aftermarkets will provide more, tighter, better, etc. bass. They sound so fabulous as is. Can anyone tell me if it is possible that that can be improved? Lascala woofer.jpgLS back.jpg

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I would not use liquid gasket. You want the speaker to be serviceable. PartsExpress and Meniscus should both carry speaker gasket material. I would check further with the Klipsch forums. If the woofer used a foam surround, then it needs to be checked for foam rot. If it uses a paper surround then just check for tears.

I would not replace the woofer in your case. Any replacement will likely have different specs than the original and that could require redesigning the crossovers again and replacing the crossovers as well. If they sound fabulous now, take the time to enjoy them for a while before researching a woofer upgrade.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I would not use liquid gasket. You want the speaker to be serviceable. PartsExpress and Meniscus should both carry speaker gasket material. I would check further with the Klipsch forums. If the woofer used a foam surround, then it needs to be checked for foam rot. If it uses a paper surround then just check for tears.

I would not replace the woofer in your case. Any replacement will likely have different specs than the original and that could require redesigning the crossovers again and replacing the crossovers as well. If they sound fabulous now, take the time to enjoy them for a while before researching a woofer upgrade.
I am 99% sure they use paper surrounds, but that is an awesome thing to verify! Thx. If I do nothing, I will at least have to re-seal this properly. I'll check Parts Express like you suggested.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I am 99% sure they use paper surrounds, but that is an awesome thing to verify! Thx. If I do nothing, I will at least have to re-seal this properly. I'll check Parts Express like you suggested.
The woofer look to be original, but for some reason yours were not painted.

That midrange replacement looks like a nasty cheap driver. That is not uncommon as a lot of those older horn speakers have developed problems with their diaphragms. Quality replacement are available from sources like Great Plains Audio, but idiots throw the drivers away and bung in any old thing.

I do not see a good picture of the tweeter.

The crossover looks to be pretty original with those large Hammond chokes.

We live within four miles or so, so I could measure those speakers and see if they are any good.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
The tweeter photo clearly show the Crites part number. And the xover is also a modern Crites. The mid driver is highly recommended by Klipsch folks.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
The woofer look to be original, but for some reason yours were not painted.

That midrange replacement looks like a nasty cheap driver. That is not uncommon as a lot of those older horn speakers have developed problems with their diaphragms. Quality replacement are available from sources like Great Plains Audio, but idiots throw the drivers away and bung in any old thing.

I do not see a good picture of the tweeter.

The crossover looks to be pretty original with those large Hammond chokes.

We live within four miles or so, so I could measure those speakers and see if they are any good.
That would be cool to have them measured! Thx for the offer!

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
The Atlas compression driver is not a Hi-Fi product. It's a cheap driver used for PA systems.

Maybe Madisound would be able to suggest a good driver to replace it. However, that could very well necessitate a modification of the crossover components, an impossible task for someone who doesn't have the equipment to test speakers and no knowledge about building passive crossovers.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I know jack about Atlas Sound. But these La Scalas sound great. If I ever had to replace them, I'd go with a Crites product to match my xovers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I know jack about Atlas Sound. But these La Scalas sound great. If I ever had to replace them, I'd go with a Crites product to match my xovers.
Try TLS' speakers while you measure yours....see what you think then.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis