Input Power (Maximum/Nominal)???

D

Deadhorse

Enthusiast
What exactly does this speaker spec mean?

Input Power (Maximum/Nominal): 120 Watts/40 Watts

My receiver is 100 Watts per channel so I assume even at full volume I can not damage the speaker but does it mean that optimal usage is with only 40 Watts input?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
What exactly does this speaker spec mean?

Input Power (Maximum/Nominal): 120 Watts/40 Watts

My receiver is 100 Watts per channel so I assume even at full volume I can not damage the speaker but does it mean that optimal usage is with only 40 Watts input?

Nominal power is the continious power (long term) a speaker can use without overheating its voice coils. Maximum power is very short term spikes in power that the loudspeaker can use without damage.

At full power, most receivers clip when driving any kind of load thus damaging your speakers. Rule of thumb is, don't go past the 12 O'clcock position on your receiver and you'll be safe.

R

rufas2000

Junior Audioholic
don't go past the 12 O'clcock position on your receiver and you'll be safe.
Many of us don't have a "12 O'Clock position" on our receivers because we don't have traditional rotary dials for volume control. Any rules of thumb then? Mine goes from -100 DB (approx) to +13 DB.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
If you were to run 20 watts continuous in my listening room with my speakers of average sensitivity supported by a powered sub, the loud volume would drive you out of the room. it would literally hurt. 40 watts would be ridiculous. I wouldn't worry about it at all. Your speakers can take plenty.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Many of us don't have a "12 O'Clock position" on our receivers because we don't have traditional rotary dials for volume control. Any rules of thumb then? Mine goes from -100 DB (approx) to +13 DB.
Don't turn it up to the point where it sounds bad, how is that for rule of thumb?:D If it sounds bad, it is bad. Don't worry much about speaker wattage ratings, as they mean next to nothing in real world applications.

K

kappa546

Audiophyte
it's a pretty useless spec, more of a suggestion. i would listen and back off if the speakers begin to stress. besides, the speakers will not see 100w with music very often/long... sines are a different story.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis