Infocus 7205, Rainbows!

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
Just got our Infocus 7205 yesterday thats going in a dedicated theater room, shooting onto a 110" Screen Research Clearpix2. I havent got any other gear yet so i just shot it onto the wall, to create a 95" image, First off, Wow. I have a 50" plasma but its like a toy compared to this. The huge image really does make it a whole new experience. Even shooting onto a beige wall the image pops right off the wall! This is with a cheap dvdp and no calibration.

On another note, I notice rainbow effect. :( , My dad who was also watching it with me didnt seem to notice, however he probbably wouldnt know it if he saw it anyway. Even with rainbows I would still rather watch movies on the PJ then my plasma but it is quite noticable, mostly if my eyes are panning acorss the image when there is white areas. I dont think i made a mistake buying this PJ, all the reviews were all praise, and im very impressed with it myself but i wasnt expecting this. I didnt watch more then maybe half an hour so I dont know if it will make me sick but I think i will get used to it. But I can definetly see the advantage of 3 chip DLP now. Its super noticable when you look tward the lens and move your eyes but nobody will ever be doing that.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Haoleb said:
On another note, I notice rainbow effect. :( , My dad who was also watching it with me didnt seem to notice, however he probbably wouldnt know it if he saw it anyway. Even with rainbows I would still rather watch movies on the PJ then my plasma but it is quite noticable, mostly if my eyes are panning acorss the image when there is white areas. I dont think i made a mistake buying this PJ, all the reviews were all praise, and im very impressed with it myself but i wasnt expecting this. I didnt watch more then maybe half an hour so I dont know if it will make me sick but I think i will get used to it. But I can definetly see the advantage of 3 chip DLP now. Its super noticable when you look tward the lens and move your eyes but nobody will ever be doing that.

Not everyone is affected by this. Unfortunately the projectors with color wheels can do this to some people. You may need to seriously think of returning it and get a 3 chip unit. Sony introduced a less expensive one, the Pearl.

Haoleb

Haoleb

Unfortunatly I didnt have a chance to audition the projctor before buying, I can definetly see why this would be a real priority for most people. Luckly I dont think its going to bother me so much that I can watch anything on it, But it is sort of a nuisance. I'll have to see if anyone else can see it when its all setup.

Buckle-meister

Haoleb said:
Luckly I dont think its going to bother me so much that I can watch anything on it, But it is sort of a nuisance. I'll have to see if anyone else can see it when its all setup.
Hello Haoleb. :) I have the 5700 and also notice the rainbow effect. I actually knew from auditioning the projector that I could see it, but after a serious think and an additional audition just to make sure (that's a lot of money riding on the decision), I took the plunge and bought it anyway. I do not regret it, as my own feeling on the matter was/is the same as your own, namely that you get used to it to the extent that although you are able to see the rainbow effect, after a while you rarely notice it. :)

Funny that you should mention that you noticed it with a white background. I almost never see it against that. For me, it is with dark images of sky/space etc. that cause the effect to be most pronounced.

L

LEVESQUE

Junior Audioholic
I was able to try the new Marantz 1 chip 1080p at 15K$ last week and I was affected by rainbow affects, just like every 1 chip DLP 720p I have seen before.

My wife was even having headaches and nausea after 30-45 minutes. Picture was really nice, but I can't live with the risk of having guests getting nauseated or having headaches in my room. 15K$ is not worth it.

So I really think I will have to keep my Sony Ruby for a while... They won't get rid of those stupid color wheels fast enough for me!

You should really look at the new Sony Pearl (3 chips SXRD, 1080p) if you're annoyed by rainbows with single chip DLPs.

Haoleb

Haoleb

freddorn said:
you buy a 3 year old projector,

what did you expect?

A highly reviewed projector, at a much cheaper price than it would have been a couple years ago. Id say It was a good choice. Newer isint always better.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis