T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Spent the afternoon working in the yard. Thought about the vets I've known in my life. Most were Vietnam vets and not one of them could ever talk about their experience for more than a few minutes without breaking out in a sweat and having to stop before they became too upset. I think about those guys every Veterans day. I don't care what your political, religious or philosophical beliefs are, the fact that about 25% of the homeless population in America are veterans is a disgrace. We can do better than that. We sometimes think of vets as old timers that talk of storming the beach at Normandy. But, maybe they are Vietnam vets that found themselves still working at 70. Maybe they served in the Persian Gulf. Maybe they served in Iraq or Afghanistan. Maybe they are husbands and fathers. Maybe they are wives and mothers. Maybe they are single dads or single moms. Maybe ALL of them found themselves out of work in 2020. Now, I am in no position to help all of Americas vets. But, I can share a bit of information for them and anybody else who may have lost a job. Black Friday is a comin'. Some folks might be having a Hard Candy Christmas. As ugly as this election seemed to some, the reality of doing taxes for 2020 will be an actual nightmare for many. Maybe a vet lost his job and his wife, also a vet, lost her business. He filed a UI claim for the first time in his life and she filed a PUA claim. Since California is the most populace state, let's use them as an example as there is a good chance a vet from CA might be here. No matter what state you are in, UI is taxable at the federal level. CA is one of the states that does NOT tax UI. It also does not tax S.S. no matter what amount of other income you throw at it. Unfortunately CA did NOT arrange to withhold taxes on the extra amounts added to regular UI from PAC($600) or the LWA($300) even if folks checked the federal withholding box. For example, if somebody had the CA max benefit of $450 per week and also had $600 for the week from PAC, checking the fed withholding box resulted in just 10% of $450 being withheld. I know some people don't like to think about their taxes until April 15th every year, but this is not the year to let it ride. We are far enough into the year for folks to get a good projection of their tax liability come tax time. While many are retired and have things squared away, perhaps your kids and grand kids could use some help. If you know a good tax professional, maybe get them in touch with somebody you know who could use the help. It would be a shame for somebody to get a new AVR for Christmas only to have to hock it come tax time. If you found yourself filing a UI or PUA claim in 2020, find out what it is going to mean for you soon. Oh, forgot, the stimulus checks are NOT taxable to fed or state. They will show up on the return as an advance on a tax credit. I know, I know, stupid. Again, thank you to the vets, I hope you are all well and have a happy holiday season. If you know a vet, thank them for their service or buy em' some speakers.:p

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Oh, and I am not soliciting for any tax outfit and I apologize for leaving out those who served in Korea.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I'd like to keep this thread focused on the vets. However, it has been the failure of every administration that our vets have as difficult a time as they do getting physical and mental health services. While Universal, single payer healthcare keeps being debated, why not start with our vets. Any vet who needs any kind of care should be able to show their card to any outfit and get whatever the f#%k they need right when they f#%kin' need it!:mad: You know, like all of those f#%kers in Washington do!:mad:

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I'd like to keep this thread focused on the vets. However, it has been the failure of every administration that our vets have as difficult a time as they do getting physical and mental health services. While Universal, single payer healthcare keeps being debated, why not start with our vets. Any vet who needs any kind of care should be able to show their card to any outfit and get whatever the f#%k they need right when they f#%kin' need it!:mad: You know, like all of those f#%kers in Washington do!:mad:
I wholeheartedly agree about the vets, with the exception of WWII vets. It's shameless how we treat them.

Almost every administration/politician talks big and then does nothing for them, just like the 9/11 survivors (firefighters/policemen/EMT's, etc.) in NYC, who have also been badly served.

People assumed we would naturally take care of them and their families (survivors & dead) but that just hasn't happened. They've had to got hat-in-hand to the Senate and beg like dogs to renew their benefits.

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
vets should never be homeless , old bases around the country should be repurposed to house and feed vets.. for as long as *they* want to stay.. none of this "forced transition" like disability and ebt food money.. those are 2 disgraceful examples of lawmakers inability to come up with a plan to help people, yet they serve their masters and the "tax relief" those masters require to keep the bribes coming in...

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Do not get any info from a politician or political fanboy about the difficulties facing vets. Get in touch with a vet or somebody in social services and ask them how f#%kin' ridiculously difficult it is to get vets help. Social Advocates have ended up in front of judges trying to get vets on SSDI because they couldn't get anywhere with the VA.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My dad did well with the GI bill benefits financially (for school), but never needed other services, but he did not see combat, he was stationed in Germany during the Korean War. My grandfathers served in WWII but also didn't see combat and didn't have any particular need for the VA afterwards.

A good friend of mine, and the one who basically introduced me to modern av gear and one of my best mountain biking buddies, served in the Gulf War on a munitions ship....apparently never was quite the same afterwards (I didn't know him before) and developed quite the drinking problem....developed pancreatic cancer and literally had his life saved at the local Vet hospital....he was in there for months. After he got out he was clean and sober for a while but then literally drank himself to death at his girlfriend's house who had stuck by him thru the whole hospitalization and the attempt at being sober....but she couldn't handle the return to drinking and had asked him to move out. He had bad experience in getting basic services at a different VA hospital, tho....when he basically collapsed his girlfriend took him to a different and closer one which apparently was a superior one overall from what he told me of his experiences between the two.

My belated thanks to all the veterans who served and I hope we take better care of our veterans in general.....

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Mid late 70s USAF guy here. I did use my GI bill to get a 2 year degree(should have went on) but more importantly got a VA loan to purchase a condo in NE Florida. Glad I enlisted and it does give me a sense of pride. Both my dad and grandfather served in the army ww2 and ww1 respectively.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Mid late 70s USAF guy here. I did use my GI bill to get a 2 year degree(should have went on) but more importantly got a VA loan to purchase a condo in NE Florida. Glad I enlisted and it does give me a sense of pride. Both my dad and grandfather served in the army ww2 and ww1 respectively.
Big Thank You! David for your service Sir!

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Wishing our vets and everybody else a happy holiday no matter where you are in the world. I also wanted to throw out a little info for those who may have been hit financially by COVID-19. If you have a PUA claim out there, check with your UI agency about income verification. You should have already been sent information regarding the time frame to get them your information. For example, California's EDD has a deadline of December 11th to get them supporting documents of NET earnings for 2019. Some may have estimated their income before filing a return for 2019 and found they overestimated their NET business income and received a high award. EDD will use their UI tables to calculate the claim award adjustment. Some will find their claim award adjusted downward and be asked to repay some of what they received. Also, according to the IRS, government grants for businesses using CARES ACT funds are taxable income to those businesses. Business loans are not taxable, however, any amount not repaid and forgiven will result in cancellation of debt that is taxable and a 1099-C will be issued. If you have a PUA claim and received grant funds or loans, contact a tax professional in your area to get a projection of any potential tax liability. Stay warm and safe everybody. :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Just wanted to say thank you David. I have many family members that served. In my house we appreciate all the men and women of our armed forces and I encourage my kid’s to thank ones that we see out and about. Most are humble about their service no matter how big or small, but you can see in the eyes when a kid says thank you. I wish big brother took better care of you guys.
Thank you to all service men and women.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Just wanted to say thank you David. I have many family members that served. In my house we appreciate all the men and women of our armed forces and I encourage my kid’s to thank ones that we see out and about. Most are humble about their service no matter how big or small, but you can see in the eyes when a kid says thank you. I wish big brother took better care of you guys.
Thank you to all service men and women.
Thank you! My dad and grandad also served so I am glad I continued with the family tradition. The USAF did right by me as I purchased my new Fla condo with a VA loan. :)

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Although it was a long time ago, I too am a veteran. I was in the Navy from 1971-75. As the war in Vietnam was slowly winding down, and I was about to get drafted. I had graduated college in 1971, and my draft number was low. Instead, I enlisted in the Navy. Army morale at the time was very low, and no one wanted to be the last guy killed in that stupid war. Instead, I served in the Navy's extensive anti-submarine effort directed against the Soviet Union's large submarine fleet. Even though I was in the Navy, I spent nearly all my time on USAF installations, first in Southern Italy near a small city called Brindisi, and later in Anchorage, Alaska.

I fully agree with the complaints about the miserable ineffectiveness of the Veterans Administration. It's sad and frustrating to see how little has changed about the VA over time. Years ago in 1975, when I got out of the Navy, I remember being advised to never depend on the VA for medical care. Fortunately, I was young and had no need for VA medical centers. And ever since, I never lacked for medical insurance coverage and could avoid the VA. Thankfully.

I did get GI Bill benefits as I went to graduate school after the Navy. At the time, it was a big help, but I would have gone back to school with or without the GI Bill.

@davidscott – my salute goes to you plus any other vets on AH. What did you do in the Air Force?

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
There were just three vets from Pearl Harbor with us last year. I'm not sure if any are with us this year but there are still some WWII vets with us. I hope they are well at this time.

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
I was an 11B for from 04-08. Went in right after high school and deployed to Iraq for 18 months. Al-Kut, Basra, etc. I’d like to talk about a phenomenon I’ve noticed with my generation and it’s stolen valor. Look, I’ve got my CIB, my DD214 and my little GI Joe starter stack on my Class A’s as well as a plethora of helmet cam footage and I keep these things because it reminds me of some of the best times and absolutely worst times of my life and also serves as a reminder that although life didn’t go according to plan for a few years post discharge, I am a capable person. That being said I hold those memories very close to the chest and over the past 5 years I’ve met at least a dozen guys who upon seeing the 82nd hat I wear or the CIB bumper sticker I have will approach me and begin talking about their experience in the SF, Ranger Battalion or sometimes even CAG or the SEALS. At first I recall thinking “Man we had guys from 7th group at our COP for a month or so and were their QRF on a few occasions and they were extremely humble, you would never guess out of uniform you’re taking to an apex predator” but I brushed it off as there’s no standard for expectations in terms of personalities. Eventually I started to take it personally and would ask guys “Name a city in Iraq that’s not Baghdad” or “name the MSR from FOB (x) to COP (y)” or even where was the 2nd phase of the Q course? Clearly they couldn’t answer and would give me some lame excuse and I’ve told a few of them I’ve got a best friend since BCT/OSUT that had the same training path as me, went through Airborne & Air Assault school together and than ended up in the same unit in the 82nd and he now exists in a wheelchair with all of his interactions in the world being done with mouth movements. When you weirdos make all these crazy claims you’re essentially reducing the sacrifices I saw made to a series of stories that can be concocted by a 12 year old after watching Black Hawk Down. I don’t understand the guys who washed out or AWOLed out that want to claim things they couldn’t even achieve in their dreams. Lately I’ve seen a trend at my local VA with a few Vietnam era guys claiming they were SOG/MAC-V and from what I understand record keeping wasn’t as accessible or accurate back than and a few of them got away with it for years, not sure if it was with a forged DD-214 or what, but they received service connection disability payments and even housing until someone (I believe they assist in maintaining the Green Beret foundation’s databases) looked into them and discovered they were regular Joe’s in the 3rd ID which is nothing to scoff at. Why embellish? I just don’t get it.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Thank you for that contribution. I didn't have any intention of patronizing our vets or trivializing the varied experiences our vets have had in their service with this thread. I grew up around many and continued to meet many in my different places of employment. I was taught as a kid not to ask and only to listen if a vet chose to open up about their service. I can't say I ever encountered one who carried on about it but that doesn't mean other vets have not had to listen to it. Some guys were terrible at sports in school and grew up and moved away and then remembered being the star athlete. Our vets have had experiences only they can know and most don't wear it on their sleeves. I just hold a quiet respect for them and have a listening ear for any who care to share. Perhaps this isn't the ideal forum. I just figured there are plenty of vets who may be looking to chat, help or be helped regarding some audio gear and maybe this thread could be useful to some.

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
Thank you for that contribution. I didn't have any intention of patronizing our vets or trivializing the varied experiences our vets have had in their service with this thread. I grew up around many and continued to meet many in my different places of employment. I was taught as a kid not to ask and only to listen if a vet chose to open up about their service. I can't say I ever encountered one who carried on about it but that doesn't mean other vets have not had to listen to it. Some guys were terrible at sports in school and grew up and moved away and then remembered being the star athlete. Our vets have had experiences only they can know and most don't wear it on their sleeves. I just hold a quiet respect for them and have a listening ear for any who care to share. Perhaps this isn't the ideal forum. I just figured there are plenty of vets who may be looking to chat, help or be helped regarding some audio gear and maybe this thread could be useful to some.
No worries, I hadn’t read the entire thread and saw there was some other vets on here so it was more of a general question in terms of have they dealt with that. If anything you being a member of the general public and reaching out speaks volumes.My intent was not malicious by any means but a genuine question.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis