Infinity Speaker Placement

S

swva

Audiophyte
I just picked up 4 Infinity Reference 152's for $129/pair, a RC252 for $110 and SUB R12 for $170 to replace a Polk RM75 speaker system. I have an entertainment center that has a shelf above a TV and cabinets with doors with a cloth screen on each side of the TV. I currently have the center and two front speakers on the shelf above the TV but the new bookshelf speakers will not fit now. I know it would be best to put the front speakers on stands, but I simply do not have room for that. The only option I have is to place them on top of the entertainment center which is about 6.5 ft high or in the cabinet behind the cloth screen. Which option would be better for sound quality? If inside the cabinet, it is about 18" cubed. Would a foam lining of some type help the sound?

Subwoofer placement is also a question. Would it be better to place it in the corner 10 ft to the side of the TV or on the back wall near the corner beside the couch?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Got a pic? Generally you don't want to put the speakers in the cabinet. I'd go with the on top angled down over putting them in a cabinet. Subs go where they need to go in a room, hard to know which would be a superior position in your room (try a sub crawl for an informal way of determining best placement).

S

swva

Audiophyte
My wall center is just like this one. The lower cabinets on each side are made to remove the wood panels and there is a fabric screen where the panel is. When listening to music, I could open the doors. The boss will likely say they go in the cabinet. One good thing about the cabinet placement is that it is closer to ear level. Maybe a foot low.

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah those kind of cabinets just aren't audio friendly. Like WAF often isn't. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis