Infinity Reference Speakers -- serious good prices

G

geniusmusicman

Junior Audioholic
Generally, I would consider that a very good assumption.
There is actually some reason to believe the R152 may sound slightly better!
The reason for this is if you have a 1" tweeter crossing to a 5.25" woofer, the 5.25" woofer is going to do a better job of playing at the higher frequencies in the crossover region than the 6.5" woofer of the R162, resulting in a more seamless crossover. However, it may well be the case that the 6.5" driver is not being stressed at all.
One way to check (again no guarantees) is to see if the designer crossed the 5.25" higher than the 6.5", This would indicate that they felt the need to make the 1" driver play into lower frequencies rather than make the woofer play into a region where it might be subject to beaming or other issues. I looked at the specification sheets to see, but they do not specify the crossover frequency.
That is a theoretical argument for the benefit of a smaller woofer. Whether it is relevant to this specific speaker is a different issue (I would feel pretty confident if we were talking a 5" vs a 8" woofer)! The argument for the larger woofer is lower frequency response, greater efficiency (87dB for the 152 vs 88dB for the 162) and (typically) a higher max SPL. Since you are planning to use this as a desktop system, I don't see efficiency or max SPL being a concern!
Thanks for you opinions and advice, it is much appreciated. I think I may go for the R152.

G

geniusmusicman

Junior Audioholic
Cool!
I had not refreshed the page this morning. I guess they decided to add those for Cyber Monday! They were not on sale earlier!
The R12 is a back-order item, but with expected availability of 12/1/18 and $180 (as opposed to $150 for the R10), I'd still go with the 12!
I can see why they are backordered, they have been on sale since Friday.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
My uncle has Infinity Primus Alpha towers, cant remember the exact model number and I have heard those speakers many times. I must say that for the price they sold for they sound amazing! If they were still available when I was on speaker market I would of gotten Infinity towers for sure as they were so cheap with good sound quality. But they disappeared from northern European market many years ago.

Edit: I had to google these speakers as it started to bother me. By the google pictures I can tell that they are not Primus, but Alpha 30 most likely. Nonetheless they sound amazing for the price they went for.

Last edited:
D

davedaring

Audiophyte
Reference 162 Refurbished
$174 Free shipping, warranty;30 day return.
R-162bk
Got an email for for $10 off.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Everything is back on sale (except the Reference 263 6" towers)!

https://www.infinityspeakers.com/reference-series-home/

Since these go on sale periodically, I am wondering if we will see a pattern from posting here whenever they are back on sale!

I have heard the Reference 162 and it is very good speaker! For $180/pr, I can't recommend them highly enough!

Comments:
1) If you are getting a center, get the RC263! At only $30 more than the RC252, it is a no-brainer.
2) Also a no-brainer to get the 12" sub instead of the 10" sub (again at only $30 more)

IIRC, they used to have all of the Reference series listed at this link. Some items were not on sale and would show as full price and others might indicate "out of stock". This makes me wonder if they decided to discontinue the Reference 263 tower.

Does anyone have any experience with the Reference 253 tower? Both it and the RC263 use a flat (rather than conical) mid-range. I'm curious about that!

Edit: Since these are all running $150 to $180 (and 253 at $200 each) I thought it'd be interesting to see the discount values in one place:
https://www.dealnews.com/s40722/Harman-Audio/

Last edited:
davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
If I didn't live in an apartment I'd definitely be interested in the R10 subs. I already own some Primus 363s and they really don't need a sub but I wonder how much better they could be with a sub. Anyone have experience with the R10 subs?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
If I didn't live in an apartment I'd definitely be interested in the R10 subs. I already own some Primus 363s and they really don't need a sub but I wonder how much better they could be with a sub. Anyone have experience with the R10 subs?
Let me give you some food for thought.

No experience with the R10 subs. I got dual R12's (along with RC263 and RS152's to go with the 162's I'd bought earlier) and I hope to get everything setup in the next 2 weeks. I am testing this out as a 5.2 system to give my daughter and her boyfriend.
However, I can tell you that a pair of R162 would be a nice upgrade to your 363's!
I used to have P363's, and it is a truly great speaker for what it costs. When I bought better, more expensive speakers, it became clear that there were two weaknesses to the P363:
1) The tweeter was not very accurate/detailed - it misbehaves graciously, in that it does not introduce bad sounds, but there is a lot missing when you compare to better speakers.
2) The tower cabinet has some significant resonance - as you increase the volume, it gets a bit muddy in the mid-bass. I remember several upgrade threads on adding damping/reinforcement to the cabinet to reduce this issue.
The Reference 162 improves greatly on both counts!

Do you currently have a sub? I'm kind of thinking that since your living situation limits your bass, why not improve the quality of the range that is not limited?
Some of the newer AVR's feature a control for bass to cut the low frequencies so as not to disturb neighbors, but I'm not sure buying a new AVR is worth it (assuming your current AVR does not have this option).

Disclaimer - It is not uncommon for people to get used to the sound of their own system and believe anything different is wrong. This usually changes with increased time listening to the new speaker. I think this is why many speaker companies recommend up to 100 hours "break-in" time when it is pretty well understood that a couple of hours will break in anything that needs breaking in (except for you)! I think the high end of the 162 will win you over quickly, but sometimes the bass resonance becomes a preferred sound (witness the bass humps many companies add to their speakers to compensate for a high roll-off point)!

I realize that you may simply like the look of towers. I think it is safe to assume the 253's will also improve substantially on the 363 (although I'm not sure how the bass compares with the higher quality, but smaller 5.25" woofers),but that is a $400 upgrade compared to the $180 upgrade of the 162's.

Last edited:
davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Let me give you some food for thought.

No experience with the R10 subs. I got dual R12's (along with RC263 and RS152's to go with the 162's I'd bought earlier) and I hope to get everything setup in the next 2 weeks. I am testing this out as a 5.2 system to give my daughter and her boyfriend.
However, I can tell you that a pair of R162 would be a nice upgrade to your 363's!
I used to have P363's, and it is a truly great speaker for what it costs. When I bought better, more expensive speakers, it became clear that there were two weaknesses to the P363:
1) The tweeter was not very accurate/detailed - it misbehaves graciously, in that it does not introduce bad sounds, but there is a lot missing when you compare to better speakers.
2) The tower cabinet has some significant resonance - as you increase the volume, it gets a bit muddy in the mid-bass. I remember several upgrade threads on adding damping/reinforcement to the cabinet to reduce this issue.
The Reference 162 improves greatly on both counts!

Do you currently have a sub? I'm kind of thinking that since your living situation limits your bass, why not improve the quality of the range that is not limited?
Some of the newer AVR's feature a control for bass to cut the low frequencies so as not to disturb neighbors, but I'm not sure buying a new AVR is worth it (assuming your current AVR does not have this option).

Disclaimer - It is not uncommon for people to get used to the sound of their own system and believe anything different is wrong. This usually changes with increased time listening to the new speaker. I think this is why many speaker companies recommend up to 100 hours "break-in" time when it is pretty well understood that a couple of hours will break in anything that needs breaking in (except for you)! I think the high end of the 162 will win you over quickly, but sometimes the bass resonance becomes a preferred sound (witness the bass humps many companies add to their speakers to compensate for a high roll-off point)!

I realize that you may simply like the look of towers. I think it is safe to assume the 253's will also improve substantially on the 363 (although I'm not sure how the bass compares with the higher quality, but smaller 5.25" woofers),but that is a $400 upgrade compared to the $180 upgrade of the 162's.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks Kurt for the in depth response. I am ok with the 363s and if I were to upgrade I'd probably go a little more up the food chain with some Monitor Audio or some PSB towers. Maybe even some Magnepans with a sub but not in a small apartment. BTW I have owned more expensive speakers back in the day including some Polks (when Polks were considered good) Large Advents and my personal favorite DCM Time Windows. Maybe I need to find some restored or pristine Windows again as they would be ok in my apartment and I never owned speakers that sounded anywhere near as good. BTW the Widows went for around $750 apiece back in the early 80s so they were fairly expensive. Thanks again for the reply and I will keep the Infinity R line in mind.
Dave

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis