infinity kappa 1200w quesion

G

good_apollo

Audioholic Intern
good morning,
ive searched over multiple forums for an answer and come up short.
I was wondering i the kappa 1200w would be a suitable diver for home audio applications or not. the system its in is about 50/50 music and movies, with sq preferred for music.
ive tried modeling in winisd and am just lost in there.

im looking to build a sealed enclosure, Harman group recommends about a .9ft3 sealed enclosure, but i would assume that is for an automotive application.

ive seen a number of kappa perfect builds, but none of the newer kappa1200w.

not 100% sure on the power supply yet. either Dayton 500w plate, 1000w plate, or external pro amp.

any help modeling would be greatly appreciated.
will most likely be built as an end table.

here are the t/s paramaters i located. thesub is selectable 2 or 4 ohm which is why there are 2 values
first row is 2 ohm, second is 4. if the 4 ohm value is zero, its the same as posted for 2.
the sub will be run as a 4 ohm load.

thanks a bunch!
TECHNICAL DATA KAPPA 1200W

THIELE-SMALLPARAMETERS 2 4

VOICE-COIL DC RESISTANCE: REVC (OHMS) . . . . . . . . 1.948. . . . . . . . . . 3.762

VOICE-COIL INDUCTANCE @ 1KHz: LEVC (MH) . . . . . . . . . . . 1.1. . . . . . . . . . . 0.85

DRIVER RADIATING AREA: SD (IN2) . . . . . . . . . . . 00.00. . . . . . . . . . 00.00

SD (CM2) . . . . . . . . . . . 530.9. . . . . . . . . . 00.00

MOTOR FORCE FACTOR: BL (TM) . . . . . . . . . . . 11.32. . . . . . . . . . 15.74

COMPLIANCE VOLUME: VAS (FT3) . . . . . . . . . . 00.00. . . . . . . . . . 00.00

VAS (LITERS) . . . . . . . . 64.47. . . . . . . . . . 00.00

SUSPENSION COMPLIANCE: CMS (μM/N) . . . . . . . . 0.161. . . . . . . . . . 00.00

MOVING MASS, AIR LOAD: MMS (GRAMS). . . . . . . . . 224. . . . . . . . . . 00.00

FREE-AIR RESONANCE: FS (HZ) . . . . . . . . . . . . 26.5. . . . . . . . . . 00.00

MECHANICAL Q: QMS . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 4.00. . . . . . . . . . 00.00

ELECTRICAL Q: QES . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.567. . . . . . . . . . 0.566

TOTAL Q: QTS . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.496. . . . . . . . . . 0.496

MAGNETIC-GAP HEIGHT: HAG (IN) . . . . . . . . . . . 00.00. . . . . . . . . . 00.00

HAG (MM) . . . . . . . . . . 10.00. . . . . . . . . . 00.00

VOICE-COIL HEIGHT: HVC (IN) . . . . . . . . . . . 00.00. . . . . . . . . . 00.00

HVC (MM) . . . . . . . . . . . 35.5. . . . . . . . . . 00.00

MAXIMUM EXCURSION: XMAX (IN) . . . . . . . . . . 00.00. . . . . . . . . . 00.00

XMAX (MM) . . . . . . . . . 12.75. . . . . . . . . . 00.00

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Easiest way to find out would be to get winisd or something similar and plug in the numbers. Then you can play around and model everything you need to.

G

good_apollo

Audioholic Intern
i do have a 1200w already, im not opposed to buying a new driver, I have just seen some diy posts of people being happy with the sq using the older kappa perfects.

if its not suitable, Dayton was probably next on my list.

but thank you for the link to your program, I will check it out once im off work.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Did you read my post before replying?
Guess not well enough. Didn't see your reference to winisd.

You can try to see if someone has a file generated for the driver so it's easier to load.

What I did with my infinity 1260w drivers was just build a good sealed box and that's it. I have 4 so they work very well.

If you want to go ported your best bet is to try to find a pre-existing build that someone has done. This driver is similar to the older Kappa driver so those builds could work with some tweaking.

G

good_apollo

Audioholic Intern
Guess not well enough. Didn't see your reference to winisd.

You can try to see if someone has a file generated for the driver so it's easier to load.

What I did with my infinity 1260w drivers was just build a good sealed box and that's it. I have 4 so they work very well.

If you want to go ported your best bet is to try to find a pre-existing build that someone has done. This driver is similar to the older Kappa driver so those builds could work with some tweaking.

I do want to build a sealed enclosure. how big did you go on yours?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I do want to build a sealed enclosure. how big did you go on yours?
External detentions are 13.5x13.5x13.5 which gets us close to 12.5x12.5x12.5 internal. There is a double thick wall the driver is mounted to and a bit of bracing (my boxes were a test that happened to hold up for 5 years) so internal cu ft is about 1.1.

That limits your wattage to about 350 so as not to get the driver to over-excursion.

If you put 500w through it you'll probably kill it. I went with a pro amp because I'm using so many drivers, but the max any are getting is 360w.

I built one for my living room with a 300w plate amp and am very happy with it.

G

good_apollo

Audioholic Intern
External detentions are 13.5x13.5x13.5 which gets us close to 12.5x12.5x12.5 internal. There is a double thick wall the driver is mounted to and a bit of bracing (my boxes were a test that happened to hold up for 5 years) so internal cu ft is about 1.1.

That limits your wattage to about 350 so as not to get the driver to over-excursion.

If you put 500w through it you'll probably kill it. I went with a pro amp because I'm using so many drivers, but the max any are getting is 360w.

I built one for my living room with a 300w plate amp and am very happy with it.

would more power require a larger sealed enclosure then?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Smaller usually. Or ported. With sealed the smaller enclosure will limit the xmax more (someone correct me if I'm mistaken) so you can push more wattage. I'm not in front of my computer or I'd look for you.

Search for the model and winisd to see if anyone's created a file for it. Or use the software linked above (easier to use) then you can play around with cu ft and wattage to see what you come up with.

Experimenting is the best way to figure out what you'll be able to do.

G

good_apollo

Audioholic Intern
i played around with the program posted here. sealed enclosure for this sub looks to drop off a cliff around 50hz if i was reading the graph correct.

annunaki

annunaki

For sealed sub drivers in home use you want one with a very low Fs where possible.

Vented enclosures are more efficient down low overall.

If you are set on a sealed application I would go the 15” Dayton Ultimax in 3.5ft^3 and call it a day. Great blend of high quality accuracy with high output capabilities.

G

good_apollo

Audioholic Intern
yeah, looks like the 15 inch dayton is gonna be the ticket. thanks for the help and recommendations everybody.

probably just order the flat pack kit, and fashion some sort of top for a coffee table to make the wife happy.

thanks again.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
yeah, looks like the 15 inch dayton is gonna be the ticket. thanks for the help and recommendations everybody.

probably just order the flat pack kit, and fashion some sort of top for a coffee table to make the wife happy.

thanks again.
That's really your best bet. Don't forget to post a build thread!

G

good_apollo

Audioholic Intern
thanks, will do. going to have to work on my wife for a minute to allow it. I recently came across a set of polk sda 2b's that I managed to convince her to let me keep in the living room, so the sub might take a week or two of persuasion. I can probably sell her on getting rid of the two polk psw505 subs and tell her we would go down to one, and it would be a coffee table.

wish me luck!

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
i do have a 1200w already, im not opposed to buying a new driver, I have just seen some diy posts of people being happy with the sq using the older kappa perfects.

if its not suitable, Dayton was probably next on my list.

but thank you for the link to your program, I will check it out once im off work.
There is no need to guess here. Just model it up. I suspect it could make an excellent subwoofer to the novice especially. I think my program with it's bugs and flaws is much easier to use than WinISD plus it'll help you calculate an appropriate box size. Or let you know right away if the driver requires to big off a box.

Why am I just now aware of your software? How did I miss this...?
It's not really well known, but I do think it's easier to use than WinISD. I literally wrote it so I could quickly see which woofers would be suitable for my builds. Plug in the parameters and it will give you the cube size of a build. If you click the enclosure design button.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
i played around with the program posted here. sealed enclosure for this sub looks to drop off a cliff around 50hz if i was reading the graph correct.
It will tell you the F3 on the original page. That's basically the cut off. I didn't add a max spl feature at 20 hz because box compression will vary based on box size. FWIW I personally prefer sealed subs for their sound signature and size. If the Coffee table doesn't work. It's not gonna hurt to try sealing it. I warn you I'm not a basshead though so keep that in mind.

G

good_apollo

Audioholic Intern
coming back to this thread,
back on the kappa idea in a ported/vented enclosure. it appears to model much, much better but I still have no idea how to calculate the port size, speed, or how many watts I need to be puhsing to it.

looks to work great in a 4-5 cuft around 20hhz.

also @lsiberian just realized youre a local

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis