Infinity Beta 50s. Enough bass or do I need a sub?? Also, which rears to mate with?

D

drew4392

Enthusiast
So, I started asking about HTIB vs. some general seperates you folks suggested. I think I went to the extreme and nabbed a pair of Beta 50s for $250. Great price, what seems to be a great speaker, so I am happy.

Do you think I need a sub with the Beta 50s? I think there are 2 8" drivers in each tower.

And lastly, I still need to mate these towers with rears and a center. I'm thinking about Primus 142s or Infinity RS1s. Center was going to be a C360 but then I found out its HUGE!! Wondering if there is an alternative to this monster that will sound good still.

thanks!!

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
So, I started asking about HTIB vs. some general seperates you folks suggested. I think I went to the extreme and nabbed a pair of Beta 50s for $250. Great price, what seems to be a great speaker, so I am happy.

Do you think I need a sub with the Beta 50s? I think there are 2 8" drivers in each tower.

And lastly, I still need to mate these towers with rears and a center. I'm thinking about Primus 142s or Infinity RS1s. Center was going to be a C360 but then I found out its HUGE!! Wondering if there is an alternative to this monster that will sound good still.

thanks!!
That is insane! 250 for Beta 50s. You better be glad you saw that before me. :)

You will want a 360 to match them. It's one of the best center's I've ever heard. And the 50s are monster speakers. A 250 is gonna be a huge step down. The Primus 350 would work though. You can also snage another 50 if your doing a Projector setup.

For surrounds I suggest a pair of Beta 10s or small Primus bookshelves.

You'll stil want a sub. But with the range of the 50s you only need a good deep one. You'll easily be able to cross them at 60 to 80hz.

They are top heavy speakers so be wary if you have kids.

That's a crazy score man. If you can squeeze the 360 in do it. It's a very good center.

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
The 360 is huge. My son has the smaller center and is pretty pleased with it. You must judge. The 10's will be a nice match for the surrounds as noted.

D

drew4392

Enthusiast
The 360 is huge. My son has the smaller center and is pretty pleased with it. You must judge. The 10's will be a nice match for the surrounds as noted.
Yes, the 360 is HUGE. But people speak very highly of this speaker. If the 250 is a big step down, I might as well stick with the 360. I'll disguise it as a piece of furniture or something. I dont know. But I'll make it work.

I understand why you all are suggesting the Beta 10s, but they are VERY hard to find. And the one or two places that have them online want a lot for them. I'm going to look around for some Primus bookshelves.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Yes, the 360 is HUGE. But people speak very highly of this speaker. If the 250 is a big step down, I might as well stick with the 360. I'll disguise it as a piece of furniture or something. I dont know. But I'll make it work.

I understand why you all are suggesting the Beta 10s, but they are VERY hard to find. And the one or two places that have them online want a lot for them. I'm going to look around for some Primus bookshelves.
The Primus ones work fine, but check ebay. You might be surprised. ;)

A Primus or Beta 20 could work for the center too.;)

The 250 isn't bad, but the 360 is amazing.

If you want to go 7.1 here's a nice package deal

http://cgi.ebay.com/Infinity-Primus-Theater-Pack-IISurround-System-NEWModel_W0QQitemZ350235988688QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSpeakers_Subwoofers?hash=item518bb112d0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Primuses are interchangeable with the beta's. So you'd be find mixing and matching.

D

drew4392

Enthusiast
The Primus ones work fine, but check ebay. You might be surprised. ;)

A Primus or Beta 20 could work for the center too.;)

The 250 isn't bad, but the 360 is amazing.

If you want to go 7.1 here's a nice package deal

http://cgi.ebay.com/Infinity-Primus-Theater-Pack-IISurround-System-NEWModel_W0QQitemZ350235988688QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSpeakers_Subwoofers?hash=item518bb112d0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Primuses are interchangeable with the beta's. So you'd be find mixing and matching.
thanks for that suggestion. Good to know I can use a beta 20 or primus as a center.

Would you consider the 250 or a beta/primus 142 the 'better' center performer?

Thanks again

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
thanks for that suggestion. Good to know I can use a beta 20 or primus as a center.

Would you consider the 250 or a beta/primus 142 the 'better' center performer?

Thanks again
I consider a Beta 20 to be an ideal center unless you lay it on it's side.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i have BETA 50's and the 360 center ... and the 10's for surrounds

1) you still need a sub
2) congrats on the score!
3) sometimes i wish i got the 20's for surrounds (althoough they're ginormous)

J

JAMS

Junior Audioholic
C360 Spkr Is Ultra Beta Class

I agree with the pro beta 360,folks ,its on a well made shelf over my plasma and we screwed into hard dried 2x4 in the wall!
Its about 34lbs i think but its also a steal for $229.99 its a super deal!
DREW,i think you paid $250 a piece didnt you?for the 50s?
I mean i got a deal for $573.99 for a pair of beta 50s, also i have the 20s for rear but a semi-dipole for sides,i had a place for that size allready!
I noticed the c360 front sounding soooo clear when i turned it up,
That spkr plays music really well too,
OH THERES A ROD ON THE BACK FOR ANGLING THE C360 DOWN ,THE REAR LIFTS UP ABOUT 1 1/4 INCH
I had to by the 360 to match the 50s and im glad i did,the beta line is canceled production!
Amazing speakers for a bargin is fantastic, most everything about the betas is good.
Fine bass responce,if you could save awhile and shop&research abit you would luv the sound and support in the real deep bass area with a decent sub!!
$250 APIECE RIGHT ?

J

JAMS

Junior Audioholic
I think beta 20s are gone forever!

I bought another pair 2mo. ago and the upgraded tweeters on those!
I luv the sound on those pups,i have another pair sitting on the beta 50s BI-AMPED ,for a linear array for front columes !
So with the c360 that gives me 4-8" 4-6.5" 3-4"mids and 5dome tweeters on the front three spkrs!
x/over all too 80hz for 2-10" subs and the nadt765 is sterling gold with decent spkrs!!!!
I NEED MORE CD MUSIC, NOW IS GOOD!!!

C

corey

Senior Audioholic
1) you still need a sub
Mike c, I respectfully disagree - not a sub, some subs.

Drew, you need some subs because it's not just about looking at frequency response.

The subs we're mostly talking about are powered, and the low frequencies require more power than the higher, so sending the lowest frequencies to a powered sub gives your amp/receiver more headroom for the mids and highs.

Your mid and high frequency speakers are directional and need to be positioned correctly for good sound. Your L & R speakers should pretty much make an equal-lateral triangle with your listening position, but the lows are non-directional & can be placed wherever works best - if the lows are part of the same box as your mids and highs you loose that option.

You need some subs, rather than one, because low frequency sounds tend to produce standing waves in your room, and multiple subs will help that. There's an article on this site that explains it in much more detail.

On the other hand, maybe it would be more accurate to change "need some subs" to say "multiple subs would be a bit better than one."

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Mike c, I respectfully disagree - not a sub, some subs.

Drew, you need some subs because it's not just about looking at frequency response.

The subs we're mostly talking about are powered, and the low frequencies require more power than the higher, so sending the lowest frequencies to a powered sub gives your amp/receiver more headroom for the mids and highs.

Your mid and high frequency speakers are directional and need to be positioned correctly for good sound. Your L & R speakers should pretty much make an equal-lateral triangle with your listening position, but the lows are non-directional & can be placed wherever works best - if the lows are part of the same box as your mids and highs you loose that option.

You need some subs, rather than one, because low frequency sounds tend to produce standing waves in your room, and multiple subs will help that. There's an article on this site that explains it in much more detail.

On the other hand, maybe it would be more accurate to change "need some subs" to say "multiple subs would be a bit better than one."
You don't need multiple subs for Infinity Beta's. They have 8" ultra-low distortion drivers that maintain linearity as they approach their x-max. 1 single very powerful sub is sufficient and will allow you to invest your effort in a deeper soundstage. To avoid standing wave you use a crawl test. Simple as that. Then if necessary you can get an eq system.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I bought another pair 2mo. ago and the upgraded tweeters on those!
I luv the sound on those pups,i have another pair sitting on the beta 50s BI-AMPED ,for a linear array for front columes !
So with the c360 that gives me 4-8" 4-6.5" 3-4"mids and 5dome tweeters on the front three spkrs!
x/over all too 80hz for 2-10" subs and the nadt765 is sterling gold with decent spkrs!!!!
I NEED MORE CD MUSIC, NOW IS GOOD!!!
There is no reason to bi-amp beta 50s unless you added sub to the bottom of them.:D Which is a great idea IMO. A JL Audio 8w7 in each box would do wonders for sound quality.

Did you replace the damping material with fiber or rockwool?

I suggest you do so and you add a lot more bracing.

The tweeters are the weak point on the drivers.

FYI double blind testing has never shown CD music to have any detectable difference from 320 kbps bitrate compressed music. So Feel free to rip to that format. Hydrogen Audio does abx tests frequently on the subject of format comparison. I still prefer having the hardware in my hand though.

J

JAMS

Junior Audioholic
I Bi-amped The 20s

I added a pair of 20s too the beta 50s fr L fr R ,A Linear array of a pair of beta 20s sitting atop the 50s,the x/over is 80hz all and it wasnt quite as lively sounding without the 20s on the 50s,so i like airy highs along with the low bass from a jbl psw 1000 sub and a velo vx-10 !
I noticed the highs getting absorbed by the carpet,sofas,as the total system sound was a little dark,not anymore!

No issues with the bracing,ive pushed the beta 50s with no noticable cabinet noise at all!
My normal listening position for movies is 13ft,so 5 tweeters up front gets the highs better,and the nad gets the bass flowing so well its rediculous!
If the tweeters are a weak link as you said,ive taken of that!
I add 2db of highs on tone control on cd music for detail enhancement,its not over brite and ive fairly good ears!
Some cd,s you cant help at all?
I had too raise the rear feet on the 20s so the image doesnt go over my head,the array on front is 56" tall . So i tilted them a tiny bit and took the grills off the 20s,they do look like they mean buisness,and buisness is good !!!lol

C

corey

Senior Audioholic
To avoid standing wave you use a crawl test. Simple as that. Then if necessary you can get an eq system.
The crawl test shows you where to place your sub for one listening position and does not address the general problem of standing waves. Equalizing your sub(s) can help with the peaks, but can't do much about the nulls that standing waves can produce.

J

JAMS

Junior Audioholic
bad waves

Number 1 boo boo is a standing wave,there easy for me too hear,they dominate the overall sound too me!
Ive found a corner is best for the jbl psw 1000 its 10", tuned lower and of course bigger than my velo vx-10!
The jbl @100 watts at half way down out performs the velo in the lower area 30-40hz but the velo does the 40-80hz more firm and tighter!
Its a good sounding low end 30-80hz overall!

Bass in Music is critcal,movies arent a problem,and the beta 50 has good bass for music and capeable of high clean powerful dynamics if you like it loud,no problem!
But adding a good sounding sub makes it addictive really,i never cut those off!

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
The crawl test shows you where to place your sub for one listening position and does not address the general problem of standing waves. Equalizing your sub(s) can help with the peaks, but can't do much about the nulls that standing waves can produce.
It still will help a lot at the listening position. The only real way to eliminate standing waves is to treat the room. Multiple subs can still generate standing wave too. The cleaner the sound the less interference your sound waves are getting. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis