Inexpensive DIY Floorstanding Speaker Stand?

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Hey all,

I'm curious if anyone else is in a situation where they needed to elevate their floorstanding speakers? Mostly to get the tweeter(s) to ear level in the seating arrangement on average. Not trying to be overly critical, but I'm thinking of measuring and building my own. I was thinking of either just getting large landscape concrete pavers and stacking them and then concealing that with a decorative throw over; or maybe building it from lumber/ply and filling with sand? Either way would allow for a rather specific height so it could be approximately where you need it without shelling out a lot of cash on some professional means to do this (adding tilt and all that). Outdoor pavers and/or lumber is cheap, so it's a no brainer. Just looking for other ideas that are little more classy, or how to dress/conceal the stands so that they are not an eyesore.

Very best,

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Hey all,

I'm curious if anyone else is in a situation where they needed to elevate their floorstanding speakers? Mostly to get the tweeter(s) to ear level in the seating arrangement on average. Not trying to be overly critical, but I'm thinking of measuring and building my own. I was thinking of either just getting large landscape concrete pavers and stacking them and then concealing that with a decorative throw over; or maybe building it from lumber/ply and filling with sand? Either way would allow for a rather specific height so it could be approximately where you need it without shelling out a lot of cash on some professional means to do this (adding tilt and all that). Outdoor pavers and/or lumber is cheap, so it's a no brainer. Just looking for other ideas that are little more classy, or how to dress/conceal the stands so that they are not an eyesore.

Very best,
I built risers for my two subs out of oak veneer 3/4 ply wood and filled with sand the risers are 4 and half inches thick on good cabinet quality feet they weigh 60 lbs filled with sand . Is there a sonic gain in this mabey. Now I have large JBL towers for my front mains and side surrounds all for the same size so I built 3 inch thick risers for them to get the tweeters to exact ear height. There solid oak and are on the same rubber feet as the subs I think the feet are Dayton Audio cabinet feet from parts express. I used to have all the mains double spiked to the floor- spikes on the bases and the speaker cabs spiked to them . We changed our flooring and I had to ditch the spikes but the rubber feet worked great . I would recommend building sand filled they don’t move or slide around . All this being said Iam a experienced woodworker and I have the tools and resources to build anything .

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Thanks, that's very helpful. Some lovely real wood risers on rubber feet would definitely be a lovely thing. I'm not a woodwooker nor have specific tools for that though. But, I may be able to simply take some fair wood like that, cut it and fit it together and fill it with sand and then just sand it really well and round off the edges and stain them. Maybe that wouldn't look as bad as concrete slabs with a decorative cloth thrown over them? Not sure. I guess I need to see the "low quality" results by total amateurs like myself in this regard!

Very best,

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Thanks, that's very helpful. Some lovely real wood risers on rubber feet would definitely be a lovely thing. I'm not a woodwooker nor have specific tools for that though. But, I may be able to simply take some fair wood like that, cut it and fit it together and fill it with sand and then just sand it really well and round off the edges and stain them. Maybe that wouldn't look as bad as concrete slabs with a decorative cloth thrown over them? Not sure. I guess I need to see the "low quality" results by total amateurs like myself in this regard!

Very best,
It’s not hard but it does require a working knowledge of decent tools . Perhaps you could find a shop or a hobbyist local , materials are reasonable at most places these days most guys that diy stuff like this it’s a simple build wouldn’t charge a lot to build these for you . Good luck in your endeavor Sir .

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
It’s not hard but it does require a working knowledge of decent tools . Perhaps you could find a shop or a hobbyist local , materials are reasonable at most places these days most guys that diy stuff like this it’s a simple build wouldn’t charge a lot to build these for you . Good luck in your endeavor Sir .
Thanks; that's true, I could look into someone local who does wood working and hire them for the job.

Yes, I've done that. o_O

The best candidates were actually large platforms, around 5~6 inch total height as a riser, and the material was masked by using a dark carpet stapled to the ply/MDF and then placed on isolation feet. Not looking to build stands for bookshelves. Looking to build large surface area but low height 6 inch risers for towers basically.

The stupid simple solution is concrete pavers. No work. Just buy them for $5 and stack 'em. Done. Cover with something to hide them. But they tend to chip and flake and get dust and sediment. Messy. But they do raise the height, are as high mass as I care to go, dirt cheap, zero work to really get them going.

So still looking for examples, searching via image search out there, to see other options for building a riser that is attractive or at least not completely horrible looking like some bachelor pad looking jank.

Very best,

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
It looks like I need between 5~6 inches to average it out to get the tweeter closer to ear height with current seating. Eventually I may update the seating and that will change things, so inexpensive risers will last long enough to make that a non-issue if I had to change the height again eventually.

And it's three of them, as the center is a matching 3rd tower. They're 43" tall, but my seating currently is a little higher than typical seating it seems (chairs). My sofa arrangement is lower, and matches up really well with the tower height for tweeter placement. But the individual chairs are seated higher than the sofa.

Very best,

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I built some small ply boxes as risers for a coupla speakers, just spray canned 'em black like the speakers....a couple I filled with sand for stability but that was because they're where they could be bumped....

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
I built some small ply boxes as risers for a coupla speakers, just spray canned 'em black like the speakers....a couple I filled with sand for stability but that was because they're where they could be bumped....
Got a photo of those? Well sanded ply with some super dark flat paint would pretty much disappear I think.

Very best,

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Got a photo of those? Well sanded ply with some super dark flat paint would pretty much disappear I think.

Very best,
No, rarely take photos, definitely not a skill I have :). They're definitely not exciting, they're just black boxes (with rubber feet) and the paint I wouldn't call particularly dark (it's flat, tho) nor particularly well applied (little experience shows). I didn't do a lot of sanding but it was good bb ply. Still, I don't notice them which was part of the goal aside from adding a bit of height (they're on towers I use as surrounds, and one underneath the center to raise it up some).

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Just chop a few inches off the bottom of your furniture. Boom. Done. Added bonus: It's free!

:p :p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis