Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
How about this one? There's no mention of whether it's a 5, 6, 2 or no series... if this were a soundbar over stereo decision it'd be easy. I know what I'd do. TVs I know little about.

P

ParisB

Audioholic
Great. Got any helpful suggestions for anything 75" or bigger in the $7-900 range? When I recommend not going with sound bars I usually offer similarly priced alternatives along with my lecture...

*Edit: What about the one linked for $700??
That's close to as good as it's going to get for 75" and that price. That brand new I think is more like $900. I was going to say that the $900-$1,200 is normally the sweet spot for budget/size/PQ on new TVs.

What kind of watching will you be doing and will it be bright room viewing? The 4 and 5 series are edge lit and don't get too bright and can't dim backlight well for contrasty movie picture so if you have windows newr the TV it can be detrimental. The 5 is a step up but the 6 is backlit and more for dedicated movie watching and best performance in a dark room with the black levels. The 4 and 5 would be good for non critical watching with the family and friends due to the size and normal room lighting conditions.

You can also look at Samsung 6900 as a comp to the 4 series TCL (their 7 series is more like TCLs 5 series). I haven't looked at Hisense, but their H8 I believe is in that same bracket and causing buzz since they are new entry.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That's close to as good as it's going to get for 75" and that price. That brand new I think is more like $900. I was going to say that the $900-$1,200 is normally the sweet spot for budget/size/PQ on new TVs.

What kind of watching will you be doing and will it be bright room viewing? The 4 and 5 series are edge lit and don't get too bright and can't dim backlight well for contrasty movie picture so if you have windows newr the TV it can be detrimental. The 5 is a step up but the 6 is backlit and more for dedicated movie watching and best performance in a dark room with the black levels. The 4 and 5 would be good for non critical watching with the family and friends due to the size and normal room lighting conditions.

You can also look at Samsung 6900 as a comp to the 4 series TCL (their 7 series is more like TCLs 5 series). I haven't looked at Hisense, but their H8 I believe is in that same bracket and causing buzz since they are new entry.
I've seen some Hisense but didn't really dug into them because I'd never heard of them.

I would consider pretty much all of my watching to be non critical. When I "watch" TV I'm usually on my tablet doing other stuff and it's almost background really. Day and night viewing would be pretty equal. It's pretty well lit during the days, but I can darken the room a little. Some days the TV's on all day and night, some days it never gets turned on. When we want to sit down, put the tablets away and really watch a movie (I have an Xbox 1X and some Blu Rays and the usual suspects for hd streaming) it's usually dark, but in the summer days are longer so...

I'm far more critical when it comes to music than HT. I don't need the latest and greatest, but I don't want a pos either. That TCL I linked above is far an away the best deal I could find in a 75" with those specs. It does have HDR10. Right now I don't have HDR1, lol. Is that a 4 Series? I don't see in the description or name where it specifies.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If I didn't sit so far from my TV I'd probably be happy with what I have. Borderlands just came out and I haven't gotten it yet because I know I'll have to drag a less comfortable chair out and put it closer to the TV so I can actually have some fun. Where I sit now I can't see shitt. That's no good for a shooting game.

P

ParisB

Audioholic
I've seen some Hisense but didn't really dug into them because I'd never heard of them.

I would consider pretty much all of my watching to be non critical. When I "watch" TV I'm usually on my tablet doing other stuff and it's almost background really. Day and night viewing would be pretty equal. It's pretty well lit during the days, but I can darken the room a little. Some days the TV's on all day and night, some days it never gets turned on. When we want to sit down, put the tablets away and really watch a movie (I have an Xbox 1X and some Blu Rays and the usual suspects for hd streaming) it's usually dark, but in the summer days are longer so...

I'm far more critical when it comes to music than HT. I don't need the latest and greatest, but I don't want a pos either. That TCL I linked above is far an away the best deal I could find in a 75" with those specs. It does have HDR10. Right now I don't have HDR1, lol. Is that a 4 Series? I don't see in the description or name where it specifies.
It sounds like TCL will be up your alley. I have one in my guest room and pretty happy with it.

The one you linked is a 4, based on the model designation of S423. The first digit is the moe type (4 or 5 or 6) and the last two are slight differences on remote or batches but the same overall.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It sounds like TCL will be up your alley. I have one in my guest room and pretty happy with it.

The one you linked is a 4, based on the model designation of S423. The first digit is the moe type (4 or 5 or 6) and the last two are slight differences on remote or batches but the same overall.
Thank you! That will help as I search. I'm gonna look around a little more before I pull the trigger. I needed a "for dummies" breakdown like that from someone as knowledgeable as yourself. I really don't know my TVs and hate researching them. It'd take me weeks to absorb enough to be confident.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
This Vizio D58u-D3 58" is what I have currently. I've always been music first so a tv is where I tend to sacrifice for better sound. My problem is that I sit over 14' from the screen and I have trouble seeing smaller details, especially for gaming. Stuff is just too small at my distance. Now based on what I have right now I think everything I've looked at so far would be a step up in PQ and definitely screen size. Budget is a factor. Period. I wish it wasn't but it is. I'm pretty firm on a minimum of 75" screen too so...
14' away!
Have you considered a projector?
I think something like $1200 for projector and screen would be the entry cost (verify this), but we're talking 110" screen!

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
At 14 feet you may not notice the difference between series but I definitely still like things about my Panasonic 2009 54in plasma that my Samsung KS8000 2016 65in 4K LED doesn’t do as well. I sit 8 ft from the plasma in my living room and 9.5 ft from the LED in my den / small theater room. Eventually you don’t notice though as your brain adapts. :)

I think others are trying to temper your expectations. You definitely have to turn off “motion plus” and similar settings or you get this annoying “soap opera” effect. LOL :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
14' away!
I did look at some short throw options... but I dunno. For daily use and regular tv watching? I need a screen too, right?

I have windows and a sliding glass door too. I did end up getting some blackout curtains, but still have regular vertical blinds on the screen door. I can darken it in here, but light still leaks through.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
At 14 feet you may not notice the difference between series but I definitely still like things about my Panasonic 2009 54in plasma that my Samsung KS8000 2016 65in 4K LED doesn’t do as well. I sit 8 ft from the plasma in my living room and 9.5 ft from the LED in my den / small theater room. Eventually you don’t notice though as your brain adapts. :)

I think others are trying to temper your expectations. You definitely have to turn off “motion plus” and similar settings or you get this annoying “soap opera” effect. LOL :)
I think plasmas have a great picture. Good luck in finding an affordable 75" tho. Do they even make plasmas anymore?

P

ParisB

Audioholic
Thank you! That will help as I search. I'm gonna look around a little more before I pull the trigger. I needed a "for dummies" breakdown like that from someone as knowledgeable as yourself. I really don't know my TVs and hate researching them. It'd take me weeks to absorb enough to be confident.

They do similar comparisons with all brands, to at least get you familiar within each. You can focus on TCL for now since they are legit brand and PQ, so you don't get overwhelmed.

Keep in mind a lot of the pros and cons, included in my initial response, were more from videophile perspective. At 14' away and knowing your habits now, don't be too swayed against say a 4 series.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I did look at some short throw options... but I dunno. For daily use and regular tv watching? I need a screen too, right?

I have windows and a sliding glass door too. I did end up getting some blackout curtains, but still have regular vertical blinds on the screen door. I can darken it in here, but light still leaks through.
14' away!
I think something like $1200 for projector and screen would be the entry cost (verify this), but we're talking 110" screen!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
14' away!
Oof. Yeah, that's in the ballpark for what I found. A little more than I want to spend.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It looks like my TV mount will work with a bigger tv too. That makes it nice, but it might crowd my center channel... hmm...

I have 2" from the bottom edge of my TV to the top of my speaker.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I think plasmas have a great picture. Good luck in finding an affordable 75" tho. Do they even make plasmas anymore?
Nope they use too much electricity or some excuse like that. Always companies move around the money to chase it. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Nope they use too much electricity or some excuse like that. Always companies move around the money to chase it. :)
Yeah they don't compete with the lcd or oleds on that point but really not that bad, my audio systems consume more I'm pretty sure. Can't find an energy consumption spec in my plasma manuals, tho cnet calls it in the range of 229-330 watts depending on calibration.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah they don't compete with the lcd or oleds on that point but really not that bad, my audio systems consume more I'm pretty sure. Can't find an energy consumption spec in my plasma manuals, tho cnet calls it in the range of 229-330 watts depending on calibration.
I would have been happy with a couple 58in plasmas but I’m doing pretty well. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I would have been happy with a couple 58in plasmas but I’m doing pretty well. :)
Was sorry to see them go out of production but understand they're more expensive to make, especially in light of the arrival of 4k; heavier, too I believe.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
There are a couple of these Sony XBR 850e available for $799 with no lines on the display...
We have an 55" 850D in the master and a 65" 900 series (forget the model letter of that one) in the sun room...for the most part, very pleased with both. I'd like a 75-80" in the loft at some point....the 60" seems a bit small sitting 12-13' away.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well... I got the 75" tcl for $700 and I'm not even a little disappointed. PQ is heads and shoulders above what I had and it's a significant jump in size too, though it still looks kinda small in the pics!

20190930_084904-816x459.jpg
20190930_111120-816x459.jpg
20190930_112024-816x459.jpg
20190930_112118-816x459.jpg
20190930_112430-816x459.jpg

It looks a lot better in person than in those images. Sharper than what I had before and the colors for sure pop a lot more. I'm still tweaking and playing with settings too.

The way the bolt pattern lines up in the back it mounts higher than the old one. I have it adjusted as low as it'll go right now without drilling new holes and moving the whole thing down. I really don't want to do that so I'm gonna give it a week or 2 and see if it still bugs me. I don't have to crane my neck or feel like I'm looking up because I'm able to tilt it down. It really only bugs me because of the gap between the speaker and bottom edge of the screen.

I'm happy! It's a big improvement from what I had.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis