KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Hey Guys,
I'm considering a new TV.
I'm not much of a video guy, but figure if I'm going to get a new TV, I'll make it significantly bigger than my current TV which is a 60" Samsung UN60FH6003. When I bought this, distributors/Samsung was apparently sick of returns because it was not compatible with a sound bar using the TV's OTA tuner - absolutely no audio outputs! Consequently, I got a fairly high quality 60" screen 6-7 years ago for only $680 (IIRC).

Now I'm looking and thinking if I'm going to swap it out, the increase to 75" is probably where I want to be.
I haven't and really don't want/intend to do a ton of research into this, so am hoping you can assist me.
Looking around I have identified the following options for inexpensive 75" screens:
TCL 75" 75S423 for $1000
Samsung UN75NU710D for $1280
Samsung 75NU6950 for $1300
Something you suggest instead!
Do nothing - wait another year, or so.

So, I guess I have roughly defined my budget as $1000 - $1300.
If I had to make the choice right now, I would get the TCL because I am of the mind that bigger is better, have had good luck with TCL in the past, and figure the Samsung are probably their lowest tier for picture quality and probably on par with the TCL.

I know for the same money, I could probably get a 65"-70" TV with better picture quality for the same money, but I think the extra screen size of lower quality is more beneficial than having slightly better picture in a smaller screen at the same price. Thoughts?

My seat is 13.5 ft. from the screen. Guest seats are 11-12 feet away and less than 20 (probably at 15) degrees off axis from the screen, worst case.

Thanks!

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I was happy with my entry level Epson PJ, but there is no question of how much more superior the picture is from the Epson 3100 - point being, I am not so sure you will be pleased with entry level picture quality, combined with having to move, and eventually dispose of, such a large TV.

KEW has a semi corner focused setup, and projection is not ideal considering the cost of motorized screens...

Am very interested to hear responses from those of you with BIG TVs!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I was happy with my entry level Epson PJ, but there is no question of how much more superior the picture is from the Epson 3100 - point being, I am not so sure you will be pleased with entry level picture quality, combined with having to move, and eventually dispose of, such a large TV.

KEW has a semi corner focused setup, and projection is not ideal considering the cost of motorized screens...

So are you saying you believe I will be taking a step down in picture quality?
I am happy with what I have (I'm not especially demanding) and hope that the tech has improved such that (what I might guess was) a mid-level screen from 6-7 years ago might be today's entry level (4k UHD, yada yada) for overall picture quality (obviously, the resolution is better).

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I think there is a large group of people in the high quality 65in camp that plan to jump to a high quality 75in when the price is right. Yes size is a big factor but so is $$$$. :)

Might be worth waiting a little longer if that is your plan too. (For me, fall 2021 is my target, the start for the Seattle NHL expansion team). :)

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
So are you saying you believe I will be taking a step down in picture quality?
I am happy with what I have (I'm not especially demanding) and hope that the tech has improved such that (what I might guess was) a mid-level screen from 6-7 years ago might be today's entry level (4k UHD, yada yada)
Correct, I think an entry level TV, especially one 70+ inches, is not going to offer any appreciable improvement over what you have. I think it's just going to ultimately be a big hassle due to its size.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Correct, I think an entry level TV, especially one 70+ inches, is not going to offer any appreciable improvement over what you have. I think it's just going to ultimately be a big hassle due to its size.
No appreciable improvement from 56% more screen (or 6 additional sq. ft.)?
I don't buy it!

It will attach to the current mount without any hassle.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I did not realize this was a significant factor, but to better define it, I have 6' from center of TV to left wall and 9'-6" from center of TV to right wall.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
No appreciable improvement from 56% more screen (or 6 additional sq. ft.)?
I don't buy it!

It will attach to the current mount without any hassle.
Bigger screen with potentially lower picture quality? Correct, you shouldn't buy anything that would offer that kind of compromise.

I did not realize this was a significant factor, but to better define it, I have 6' from center of TV to left wall and 9'-6" from center of TV to right wall.
I stated that to spare anyone wanting to recommend projection to you.....

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I believe you really need to go look at them yourself and consider off axis viewing. See if you can bring a source, even if it is just your phone, to show black levels and compare a few displays if you can.
I will say, that I still think that size is too small. :D I'm a fan of big, big, big. I was hoping to get a 90" NEC, but I got the 85" Samsung instead. I'm happy. Not thrilled. Coming from plasma I have some desires that aren't fulfilled with the Samsung, and I think the 85" Sony would have been a better direction.

But, if you look at the TCL, I think they make a decent display. I like their Roku integrated TVs as well. As long as you aren't picky and critical, they do a good job. Black levels aren't where the better models are, but watch out for blooming and bad off-axis viewing as those are the bigger issues with cheaper displays. Brightness is rarely an issue with LED models, image uniformity is.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I recently thought of replacing my plasma (59" Samsung PN59D8000) with an inexpensive and possibly larger set, and move the plasma to the bedroom, improving over the older 1080i/37" I had in there. Seems for your budget you can do quite well, and I read lots of positive comments about TCL and Roku sets too (and seems Roku if you're a tv app user might have an edge). I happened to be doing my occasional check of any interesting electronics for sale in the closest city (Eugene OR) so looked at some tvs too, found a PN59D7000 for $200 for the bedroom and my search for a new tv ended :). 4K still tempts me but not so much right now, I really have no problem with the little 4k I could access without buying the blurays (streaming don't have bandwidth and don't know how you can rent them like I do with normal BRs from Netflix).

So just interested a bit in how this goes :) Just what does the tv have to have features wise for you other than size?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I recently thought of replacing my plasma (59" Samsung PN59D8000) with an inexpensive and possibly larger set, and move the plasma to the bedroom, improving over the older 1080i/37" I had in there. Seems for your budget you can do quite well, and I read lots of positive comments about TCL and Roku sets too (and seems Roku if you're a tv app user might have an edge). I happened to be doing my occasional check of any interesting electronics for sale in the closest city (Eugene OR) so looked at some tvs too, found a PN59D7000 for $200 for the bedroom and my search for a new tv ended :). 4K still tempts me but not so much right now, I really have no problem with the little 4k I could access without buying the blurays (streaming don't have bandwidth and don't know how you can rent them like I do with normal BRs from Netflix).

So just interested a bit in how this goes :) Just what does the tv have to have features wise for you other than size?
I'm not the one to ask!
1080p is fine for resolution as far as I can tell (and it should be for a 60"screen at 10' or more).
I'd just as soon as not have the Smart part. If I get a Samsung, unless they have improved the interface, I will simply use an external Roku.
Aside from that any feature I'd want will be standard on any typical current TV.
Dolby Vision sounds interesting, but I don't know if the execution is as good as it sounds or if much media utilizes it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm not the one to ask!
1080p is fine for resolution as far as I can tell (and it should be for a 60"screen at 10' or more).
I'd just as soon as not have the Smart part. If I get a Samsung, unless they have improved the interface, I will simply use an external Roku.
Aside from that any feature I'd want will be standard on any typical current TV.
Dolby Vision sounds interesting, but I don't know if the execution is as good as it sounds or if much media utilizes it.
The smart part is like an avr, the majority get it so it's cost effective that way, pretty sure it costs much more to get a pure display. Dolby Vision seems to be a thing you'd want with the 4k feature set but will just wait a while myself. My Oppo will be ready, but kind of waiting for something better than lcd,, altho maybe a true full rear lighting array with many zones would be okay (tried lcd before the plasma and didn't like the clouding/flashlighting issues).

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I'm not the one to ask!
There doesn't seem to be any large 1080p sets available anymore...

It also appears that Samsung has all of their sets on discount which would suggest they are about to release new models. I would suggest waiting for the ole reliable Black Friday sales.

It's been quite a while since we saw the OLED (Bestbuy?) and Samsung has their QLED - I would want that tech to trickle down in price, or to other models first!

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hey Guys,
I'm considering a new TV.
I'm not much of a video guy, but figure if I'm going to get a new TV, I'll make it significantly bigger than my current TV which is a 60" Samsung UN60FH6003. When I bought this, distributors/Samsung was apparently sick of returns because it was not compatible with a sound bar using the TV's OTA tuner - absolutely no audio outputs! Consequently, I got a fairly high quality 60" screen 6-7 years ago for only $680 (IIRC).

Now I'm looking and thinking if I'm going to swap it out, the increase to 75" is probably where I want to be.
I haven't and really don't want/intend to do a ton of research into this, so am hoping you can assist me.
Looking around I have identified the following options for inexpensive 75" screens:
TCL 75" 75S423 for $1000
Samsung UN75NU710D for $1280
Samsung 75NU6950 for $1300

So, I guess I have roughly defined my budget as $1000 - $1300.
If I had to make the choice right now, I would get the TCL because I am of the mind that bigger is better, have had good luck with TCL in the past, and figure the Samsung are probably their lowest tier for picture quality and probably on par with the TCL.

I know for the same money, I could probably get a 65"-70" TV with better picture quality for the same money, but I think the extra screen size of lower quality is more beneficial than having slightly better picture in a smaller screen at the same price. Thoughts?

My seat is 13.5 ft. from the screen. Guest seats are 11-12 feet away and less than 20 (probably at 15) degrees off axis from the screen, worst case.

Thanks!
If it were me, I'd steer clear of the Samsung UN75NU710D...I'm seeing this TV around $1300 in most places. My golf buddy got this set back in November 2018. I helped him put it on the wall. Out of the box the picture was iffy at best so they had the Geek Squad come out and calibrate the TV and set up everything for surround sound. Picture looked a lot better, but still not nearly as good as my Sony.

A few days ago, the picture started showing faint horizontal lines...they have had Samsung out and to this day, it's still having the same problem. Fortunately it's so new that it will be replaced.

Maybe they just got a lemon, but my experience with Samsung has only been with plasmas and it's been nothing but good.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
If it were me, I'd steer clear of the Samsung UN75NU710D...I'm seeing this TV around $1300 in most places. My golf buddy got this set back in November 2018. I helped him put it on the wall. Out of the box the picture was iffy at best so they had the Geek Squad come out and calibrate the TV and set up everything for surround sound. Picture looked a lot better, but still not nearly as good as my Sony.

A few days ago, the picture started showing faint horizontal lines...they have had Samsung out and to this day, it's still having the same problem. Fortunately it's so new that it will be replaced.

Maybe they just got a lemon, but my experience with Samsung has only been with plasmas and it's been nothing but good.
according to rtings, this samsung is a decent choice, but their review score for vizio E a bit higher

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
a bit more $, but I think worth it is the Vizio E series:
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/e-series-2018
Its really shines after calibration.
Don't try to save a bit more and go with two letter brands which used to be called Lucky Goldstar...
Good timing on your post!
I had spent some more time looking to see what is available and have refined the list as follows:
TCL 75" 75S423 for $1000
LG 75UK6190 for $980
Vizio 70" E70-F3 for $780

The Vizio is an "outliar" at 70" instead of 75", but for some reason, Vizio is very price competitive at 70" ($780) but extremely proud of that extra 5" (the 75" is $1380) and I am not inclined to spend 75% more for 15% more screen area.

So I'll see if I can compare the TCL to the Vizio and decide how the extra 5" (plus $220) compares to the Vizio's presumably better picture. Also, there happens to be a competent guy among the sales people at my Costco (of all places you would not expect product expertise) so I'll see what he says. Last time I spoke with him, he did a great job of summarizing pros and cons between sets (and I checked him after I got home to verify he had his stuff straight) and he was quick to look up info on-line when he wasn't sure! Of course, he might not be there any more. Being the kind of "go-getter" who decides if he is working at Costco in the electronics department, he'd rather develop expertise and offer quality assistance to customers than just "We gotta move these color TVs", he is liable to be hired-away by some "little faggot, got his own jet airplane"!:)

It is a shame, but TV technology really seem to be in the doldrums right now unless you are willing to pony up for OLED. I mean we still are excited about the Plasma screens of over a decade ago!
The prices have been steadily going down on plain old vanilla LED's, and I suspect there have been incremental improvements in reliability and picture quality, but nothing new and exciting for us ordinary Joe's (not willing to drop $5k on the new tech)!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I would look for 75" Vizio if you want good budget TV.
Just to make sure is there any reason to avoid the 70" Vizio E series?
I assume you specified 75" because that is what I am talking about!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis