In-wall vs. non-inwall Woofer/Sub

K

kjfox

Audiophyte
Looking to add a woofer to my current system:
Yamaha VX -2600 Receiver
Front/Center Speakers Speakercraft MT6 Three
Rear Speakers SPeakercraft AIM7 Three

Looking for advise on which woofer/Sub HSU SVS models? Price point around $600.
Would there be any disadvantages if I mounted one of these subs in a wall?
Does the bass sound only get projected from the front of the Sub?
SHould I go with a in-wall Sub? Since I do not have to be concerned with depth, (the wall I would be mounting this sub on is open in the back) should I just get a fully enclosed HSU or SVS model and mount in wall?.

Thanks

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Subwoofer location

The SVS and HSU subwoofers can perform best if you allow some flexibility and take the time to determine the optimal location for the sub. As you move it into a corner, it will increase the bass output and can effect room modes. For this reason, a regular sub should not be mounted in a wall or cabinet.

If the size of the SVS and HSU 12" subs is too big, consider a 10" model which will compromise some performance for asthetics.

There are also some subwoofers that are designed to be mounted between the studs in a wall, but in the same $600 price range, they wont deliver near the performance as the SVS or HSU subwoofer and will probably require an external amplifier.

K

kjfox

Audiophyte
What about the SVS PB10ISD which is front firing. Would the problems you explained exist with this model? I plan on trying this unit in multiple places on around my front wall prior to mounting in-wall.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis