K

keandris6

Audiophyte
Hi all,

Long time reader/youtube channel observer, first time posting.

I'm trying to round out my basement home theater install that I started earlier this year. I came up against the promised budget (to the wife) without purchasing my subs/subwoofer amps back in March. I'll post some pics and a project description below, but needless to say, this was the perfect year (with the rona) to do the theater, as such, it was a great success with the wife and I have been greenlighted to finish the project. My dilemma is that I'm torn on how to finish it, please read the project description and help me decide on a complimentary way to finish this up while staying in my prescribed budget. My questions are at the bottom.

- Overall System goal
Provide a theater-"like" experience for my family without building a dedicated theater room.

-Space
45' x 25' x 8'-9' (soffit down middle of room causes differing heights) = ~9500cubic feet (huge space)
center.jpg

Ceiling is decoupled from joists with hat channel and insulated from adjoining rooms with rockwool.
note - Stud space where I want to place the subs is framed by 2x4s. Drywall on room side, fiberglass blanket insulation backed by concrete wall on other side (see pictures). (LRC speakers had MDF frames enclosures calculated and built into the framing specific to speakers.
speaker placement.jpg

- Current Components
Epson 6050ub
150" Acoustically Transparent Screen
Marantz SR6013
3 x Monoprice Amber In-Wall Speaker 6.5-inch 3-way Carbon Fiber Column with Ribbon Tweeter for my LCR channels all hidden behind AT screen
2 x Monoprice Amber In-Wall Speakers 8-inch 2-way Carbon Fiber with Ribbon Tweeter for my L & R Surrounds
4 x Monoprice Amber Ceiling Speakers 8-inch 2-way Carbon Fiber with Ribbon Tweeter for my Atmos heights
IR blaster
Xbox One S

- Acknowledged issues
Space too big, not centered for a super dynamic (acoustical) experience
Desire for a clean install drove selection of in-wall speakers. While this wasn't as huge a problem for the LCR/Surrounds/Heights it is a huge problem for the subs (limiting choices)
Ran speaker wire before drywall was up instead of RCA for subs, therefore it would be a huge pain in the rear to switch to a powered sub enclosure.
Obviously I have used value items in certain areas so that I can fit my budget.

-Lacking Components
Subwoofers
Subwoofer amps
Budget = $1,000.

-Original Intention
Every speaker/projector/ir blaster component runs to storage/utility room to a rack that includes all my networking and all the components to include the ir hub/Xbox/Reciever/(eventual amps). My intended design was to run 4x Monoprice Alpha 300W peak/150W RMS 10" In-wall Subwoofers hidden behind the AT screen and between the stud spaces of the LCR speakers to amps in the rack, then to the Marantz.

Example:
l=stud
l Left l Subs #1&2 vertically stacked l Center l Subs #3&4 Vertically stacked l Right l
studs.jpg

-Questions
#1. I know 4x150W subs will not pressurize the space, but I doubt with a room this large anything will. Am I wrong to think this?
#2. If nothing will pressurize the space does it matter that I go with a solution like the in-walls?
#3. If I go in-walls I'm concerned the greater volume of air they move (vs the LCR) will cause my AT screen to flex and move. Is this valid?
#4. What preparation should I consider if I go with the in-walls? (I was thinking about shoring up the connection between the insulating blanket and the stud framing by installing MDF backing behind speaker locations {already bonded with fire block foam}, additionally I am thinking about cutting out a larger portion of the drywall {as opposed to just the speaker size} in order to do the necessary prep and using 3/4" MDF to mount the subs, creating additional space, and allowing me to create a better bond to the framing instead of just a connection through the drywall. I know that ideally, I would decouple, but I think my opportunity to do that is gone at this point. I figure my best chance at reducing vibration is through mass.
#5. Should I fill the bottom of the stud space with sand to add mass and reduce vibration?

I know this is a lot. I'm standing by with answers to any additional questions this potentially unintelligible post creates. Thanks for helping me round this out.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis