S

steinoch

Junior Audioholic
I need help! My new residence comes with a custom built entertainment center. I give them the spec's of my equipment and an idea of what I want they give me a multimedia work-of-art(hopefully). Unfortunately only six feet of wall space was cubbied out for the EC. The TV is over 4ft wide leaving my speakers only 5' apart. Not much help for the soundstage. Therefore, unless I want my front surrounds set-up in front of my TV, I'm stuck with using in wall speakers.

The question: are there any in-wall speakers that would be considered Audiophile quality?

I'm considering using the in-wall speakers only for front surrounds and switching over to alternate speakers to listen to music. Therefore some limitation would be acceptable on range.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
www.sonance.com - THX Ultra certified in-walls good enough for your day-to-day watching? If that's to much, they go way down in quality (and price) as well. Sonance has been in the in-wall game for a long time and makes excellent stuff.

When I worked for a company whose average home A/V job was $400,000.00 - when we had to do in-walls of the highest quality, Sonance is the way we went. Then when I switched to a more general residential company, I got to see the rest of the Sonance lineup and have been an ardent supporter of their products ever since. Good product in line with the price you pay.

annunaki

annunaki

Niles, Atlantic Technology, B&W, PSB all come to mind for a great inwall. If on a tighter budget, MTX has a great new line of inwalls out that do not break the bank.

B

bhrvatin

Enthusiast
I am using Paradigm's SA-25s for surrounds. Extremely solid construction, and will outperform many 2-way bookshelf speakers. I installed them myself and found the process fairly simple(for someone who's already had some experience cutting drywall and fishing wire).

S

steinoch

Junior Audioholic
Wow! Thanks for the response. I had found it hard to believe that an in-wall speaker could supply high quality/consistent sound. I'm coming from a "Vance Dickerson's Speaker design cookbook" back ground, and I have put so much time in box size shape and port tuning that throwing speaker into a wall seemed a little scary. I guess I'm going to be forced into this one though.

Another option could be Yamaha's new sound projector...just add sub. This way I dont' have to cut large holes in the dry wall and, in all honesty, it would be a fraction of the cost.

Anyway..thanks for the suggestions.

jimmit said:
You might also look at Triad speakers. I understand that their in-walls are also audiophile quality speakers.
Be a bit careful with these guys. We tried to do a review of their in-walls and they had so many madatory testing parameters we ended up having to cancel the review (it was either that or go to work full time making custom-depth walls for them.) When a manufacturer gets that nervous it gives us pause. I suppose if you can follow their exact recommendations for installation you should be fine.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Hey, Don't go with in-wall speakers. If you really want to do it right, in-ceiling speakers are better. And only one in-ceiling speaker does the trick. You will be blow'n away when you listen to these.
Speakercraft AIM8
www.speakercraft.com
Go with atleast AIM8 Three's

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
I've heard some pretty expensive in-walls speakers from B&W, Paradigm and other top makers, and none of them sound as good as a much cheaper free standing speaker.

I would consider them for rear channels, but never as front speakers.

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
Hey, Don't go with in-wall speakers. If you really want to do it right, in-ceiling speakers are better. And only one in-ceiling speaker does the trick. You will be blow'n away when you listen to these.

Hello
I have to disagree with the statement that an in-ceiling speaker will sound better than an in-wall
Using in-ceiling speakers of any kind back box, ball or infinite baffle always will have compromises
Sure they can sound decent but they will never out perform an in wall system that has been installed correctly For true high performance in walls that sound like mega dollar free standing speakers have a look at these There is absolutely no reason you need to compromise performance if you plan, use the correct equipment and install the system correctly
http://www.rbhsound.com/si6100.shtml
Happy Listening

Attachments

grd4spd

grd4spd

Audioholic Intern
bhrvatin said:
I am using Paradigm's SA-25s for surrounds. Extremely solid construction, and will outperform many 2-way bookshelf speakers. I installed them myself and found the process fairly simple(for someone who's already had some experience cutting drywall and fishing wire).

bhrvatin, what are your (listening) thoughts on the SA35? are you using any other in wall/ceiling speakers?

regards,
terry

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis