W

Win_Heger

Audiophyte
New guy here, only lurked for awhile. I'm redoing a room for Home Theater and will have lots of questions.

I have a complete Paradigm setup (Monitor 7s, Mini-Monitors, CC, Sub) but am needing to add in walls for 7.1. My dealer is recommending Definitive 6.5" Bipolars. Should they balance well with Paradigms? The room is 12x19x8.

Happy Holidays,
Win

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
are you using them for mains or surrounds ? I didn't take the time to look at the specs...

if surrounds and for mostly HT, they should be fine. there is generally a good spacing between fronts and surrounds, so a perfect timbre match is not critical. timbre helps the sounds flow with the action on the screen. across the front, the speakers are generally very close together, and a mismatch would leave a small interruption in the flow of sound. from front to back, the interruption is much less noticeable.

if you are using them for mains or for alot of SACD/DVD-audio, you should go back and match to the original set. in those cases, matching timbre is alot more critical.

in general, in-walls are pretty inefficient, and tend to have a very small sound spread. you'll have to do a good job of pointing them at your listening position if you want them to be effective.

W

Win_Heger

Audiophyte
The in-walls will be the side surrounds in the 7.1 setup. They will be to the right and left of where we will sit. Actually within a few feet of the listener. I guess one thing I'm questioning is the need to spend $600+ for in wall surrounds.

My reciever will be a Denon 3805.

Thanks,
Win

jaguars_fan

jaguars_fan

Junior Audioholic
Paradigm makes some great in-wall speakers that will match right up with your current speakers! Also, Klipsch in-wall are very close in sound to the Paradigm. Either will produce great sound without breaking the piggy bank! Also, remember that where and how they are installed will make a world of difference as well! Good luck! ;)

T

threewheel42

Audioholic Intern
I went with Definitive BP2x for the side walls and UIW 94A for the rear in ceiling back surrounds. The BP2x were about 450 shipped, from ebay, brand new and the UIW94a were about 400. The 94s have repositionable tweeters. The BP2xs are bipolar and have a nice spread..they are only about 5-6 feet from the listener. (my front speakers are Infinity IL40s and matching CC...they all play well together)

W

Win_Heger

Audiophyte
Thanks for the great information. I hadn't realized Paradigm had in-walls, that's the way I'll go. If that fails for some reason I'll try the Klipsch. There are some good buys on Ebay.

Win

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis