In-wall speakers for in-ceiling placement?

T

tjfish

Audiophyte
Can't find much on this aside from a reference Gene listed in an article on his speaker layout, but if one doesn't care about the aesthetics (or will be covered by AT fabric), for an in-ceiling placement, is an in-wall tweeter-over-midrange speaker with a back box better than an in-ceiling speaker that has superimposed tweeter/mid without a back box? What are the downsides to the classical in-ceilings with superimposed tweeter over circular midrange design?

Here are the specifics: Considering B&W CWM75s2 (5" mid/bass continuum) for Top Middle & VOG in a 17 speaker array (will describe full array separately with other questions). The speakers would be arranged left to right to fit in the joist bays so tweeters closer to the middle of the room than the midrange and reservoir box that will spread out toward the side walls. Assume that's not an issue as it's symmetrical, but a slight disadvantage for the VOG, where at least one (tweeter or mid/bass) will be off the exact front/back centerline (but will 3-6" really make a difference in an 8.5' high placement?)

Leaning to this over using the CCM75s2 (7" mid/bass continuum) which has the superimposed design, doesn't have/not designed with back box, and has a slight angle (good for atmos Top Middle but not good for VOG direct down-firing).

I can't find dispersion specs for these, anyone know which has better dispersion to cover two rows? Is the 7" mid/bass superimposed tweeter but w/no bb better than a 5" mid/bass next-to tweeter w/built-in ported bb enclosure?

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
How tall is your ceiling? And what is your budget per speaker?

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Can't find much on this aside from a reference Gene listed in an article on his speaker layout, but if one doesn't care about the aesthetics (or will be covered by AT fabric), for an in-ceiling placement, is an in-wall tweeter-over-midrange speaker with a back box better than an in-ceiling speaker that has superimposed tweeter/mid without a back box? What are the downsides to the classical in-ceilings with superimposed tweeter over circular midrange design?

Here are the specifics: Considering B&W CWM75s2 (5" mid/bass continuum) for Top Middle & VOG in a 17 speaker array (will describe full array separately with other questions). The speakers would be arranged left to right to fit in the joist bays so tweeters closer to the middle of the room than the midrange and reservoir box that will spread out toward the side walls. Assume that's not an issue as it's symmetrical, but a slight disadvantage for the VOG, where at least one (tweeter or mid/bass) will be off the exact front/back centerline (but will 3-6" really make a difference in an 8.5' high placement?)

Leaning to this over using the CCM75s2 (7" mid/bass continuum) which has the superimposed design, doesn't have/not designed with back box, and has a slight angle (good for atmos Top Middle but not good for VOG direct down-firing).

I can't find dispersion specs for these, anyone know which has better dispersion to cover two rows? Is the 7" mid/bass superimposed tweeter but w/no bb better than a 5" mid/bass next-to tweeter w/built-in ported bb enclosure?
I think using the CWM7.5's would be awesome for in-ceiling speakers. You are not going to find a lot of people or stories on the web from people that do use normal surrounds for "atmos" speakers. Personally, I plan on using RBH-SI-760R's for in-ceiling speakers for Atmos. Which is basically what you might be doing with the CWM's.

Side note, my front three are B&W CWM7.3's. That line of in-wall speakers from B&W are top notch.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis