In-wall rated subwoofer cable or cl3 spk wire with rca connector?

R

Ray Y

Audiophyte
Hi all. Need some advice here. I'm trying do in-wall wiring for a 7.2.4 setup. I'm having trouble finding subwoofer cable or RCA cable rated for in-wall installation (cl2/cl3). Can I just use cl3 speaker wires and put rca connectors at the ends? Would that be bad for subwoofer application? Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi all. Need some advice here. I'm trying do in-wall wiring for a 7.2.4 setup. I'm having trouble finding subwoofer cable or RCA cable rated for in-wall installation (cl2/cl3). Can I just just cl3 speaker wires and put rca connectors at the ends? Would that be bad for subwoofer application? Thanks a lot.
Put your wires in steel conduit. Do not use speaker cable you will get hum. Really all home theater wiring should be in conduit. Cable can then be replaced easily.

R

Ray Y

Audiophyte
Actually I think I found the amazon.CA version of what you are referring to.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B002JTR9P4
Not sure why I didn't catch it when I did a search for RCA or Coaxial cables. But anyway, Thanks. This should serve my purpose.

However, had this item not been on sale, using speaker cables would still be more economical. In that case, could my original plan work? Would there be any problem in using CL3 speaker wires with RCA connector crimped at the ends for subwoofers? Cheers.

R

Ray Y

Audiophyte
Put your wires in steel conduit. Do not use speaker cable you will get hum. Really all home theater wiring should be in conduit. Cable can then be replaced easily.
Hi TLS Guy. So is that necessary even for CL3 rated speaker wires? I would love to have conduits. However, I'm also concerned about compromising the structural strength of the studs if I put conduits in. In one wall, I'd need to accommodate 1 power cable, 2 hdmi, and 3 speaker wires. Not sure how big of a conduit I need for all those. But the current 7/8" hole I drilled is already quite tight. Perhaps in the future when I put a double wall up for soundproofing, conduits would make more sense. Thanks for the advice.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Hi TLS Guy. So is that necessary even for CL3 rated speaker wires? I would love to have conduits. However, I'm also concerned about compromising the structural strength of the studs if I put conduits in. In one wall, I'd need to accommodate 1 power cable, 2 hdmi, and 3 speaker wires. Not sure how big of a conduit I need for all those. But the current 7/8" hole I drilled is already quite tight. Perhaps in the future when I put a double wall up for soundproofing, conduits would make more sense. Thanks for the advice.
If you use spray foam insulation on the holes you will actually increase structural integrity of the 2 X 4s. In fact under coastal building codes spraying the wood construction is now required to resist hurricanes. Round here coastal codes are not required, but many builders here in Minnesota insist on adopting them.

In any event the strongest part of the walls in North American homes is the Romex AC cable in the walls!

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not sure why I didn't catch it when I did a search for RCA or Coaxial cables. But anyway, Thanks. This should serve my purpose.

However, had this item not been on sale, using speaker cables would still be more economical. In that case, could my original plan work? Would there be any problem in using CL3 speaker wires with RCA connector crimped at the ends for subwoofers? Cheers.
No, speaker wire won't work. Unless you're talking about having the amp at the other end from the sub and not using rca terminations :)

R

Ray Y

Audiophyte
No, speaker wire won't work. Unless you're talking about having the amp at the other end from the sub and not using rca terminations :)
Well ya, my receiver and sub are at opposite corners of the room. The sub-out terminal on my receiver is a RCA connector. Is that what you mean by what might work? Thanks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well ya, my receiver and sub are at opposite corners of the room. The sub-out terminal on my receiver is a RCA connector. Is that what you mean by what might work? Thanks.
No, was just teasing a bit...I was referring to having the sub amps in your rack...no amp on the sub itself.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Just use conduit. That is the best solution by far and should ALWAYS be used anyway.

highfigh

highfigh

Make sure it's actually in-wall rated- UL nailed them (Monoprice) for rating imported cable that didn't conform.

You don't do low level signals over non-shielded coaxial or un-twisted pair.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis