In-Wall/Ceiling Surround

SCompRacer

SCompRacer

Enthusiast
I am near finished with the family room in the sub-level of our home. All that remains is for me to build an L shaped wet bar in one corner and stain/finish the Oak shelf on the foundation wall. The room is 14' x 22' with an 8' ceiling and recessed lighting. The two rows of can lights and fireplace eyeballs are controlled by seperate switches with dimmers.

I used Polk in-wall/ceiling speakers. I started out with LC65i's for R & L Fronts/Center. While it sounded great, upgrading the R & L fronts to LC265i's with two drivers was a major improvement for two channel stereo and surround. The R & L rear are LC60i's in the ceiling. I had wired for 7.1 and just added a pair of Polk LSi7's for surrounds.

I didn't have the cash for Polk's custom in-wall speaker volume enclosures (like $250 each), so I just made exact volume enclosures from wood; 2" x 4" firebreaks in the walls, doubled up particle board in the ceiling. CL3 14/2 speaker wire was used in walls, and RG6 was used for the subwoofer wall jacks/satellite feed. The sub is a Polk PSW505 and it does OK in the corner of the room, but a SVS PB12-Plus has been ordered to replace it.

I had dreams of a big screen on the wall, but the WAF kicked in so the Oak entertainment had to stay. I have a 32" Samsung LCD HDTV ordered that will fit in it to replace the old tube TV.

Components are:
Denon AVR-3805
Denon DVD-2910
Denon Turntable
Primarily Impact Acoustics Cables, though you'll find two Monster cables

Attachments

Last edited:
Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
That is on high WAF room. Very clean and well done. If it sounds half as good as it looks you must be thrilled.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I would be forced to smack my wife.

No, really, somehow I lucked out - we just moved in and the quote was:
"I get the entire house - except the family room and the basement - do with them what you want, just make sure the plasma is up and running ASAP and that I can see it from the kitchen."

I love my wife

It's a nice setup for sure though - definitely needs that 60" CRT instead of the entertainment center. Would be half the size and the cabinetry could match and the components could hide in a closet... you ran conduit for that... right? ;)

Doug917

Doug917

Full Audioholic
Nice looking room. Good thing my wife doesn't frequent this forum. She has rule of every room in the house but one. The HT room is mine. She will suggest things from time to time, but I have the power to veto. In all other rooms I am powerless. Enjoy your setup.

SCompRacer

SCompRacer

Enthusiast
Thanks for the nice comments. There is a full bath and bedroom at the other end of that level and it has taken over 10 months of weekends and after work time to get this far. I’m getting to be an old guy and shouldn’t keep that busy.

It sure sounds great. This site has been a valuable source of information to me. I've had nice stereo gear before, but this is the first surround system I have owned.

The wife and I have 29 years invested in our marriage. After the family responsibilities were taken care of, she never griped about and even got involved with the race cars, nice street cars, and several other hobbies I dabbled in over the years. Only thing she wouldn’t do was hunt and kill an animal with me, so giving in on the entertainment center wasn’t that difficult.

It’s all about the lighted display on the top section too. So that means I’ll look for an alternative, or draw up plans to build something that will satisfy her and get me that big screen. Never give up. LOL

SCompRacer

SCompRacer

Enthusiast
BMXTRIX said:
you ran conduit for that... right? ;)
There is a basement level so I have access to the lower part of that wall at any time.

SCompRacer

SCompRacer

Enthusiast
I started on my wet bar last week while on vaca. I had hoped to be further along but some family emergency stuff came up.

It is modular in construction so I can get it down to the lower level in four pieces; two cabinets, a counter top and bar top. Using 1/2" and 3/4" Oak veneer plywood and 1" x 2" Oak wood. It's fastened together now so I can get the counter and bar top right.

I'm trying to find some Oak bar rail locally (Chicago area) for less than $32 a foot. I can buy it online for way less than that.

And a pic of the new sub. This thing rocks..... :D

Attachments

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis