In the market for an avr

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Looking for a little more of a long term avr. Budget is under $400. I do like 4k but I don't have to have it, right now I'm between an integra dtr 50.3 and drx 2.1 both are similar price but entirely different animals. Which would you choose if you bought today? I'd be open to pioneer or Yamaha recs as well.

From what I see and with my listening I can only assume that the drx would be more than enough but still concerning with the ultras if they do in fact run more of a 4ohm load. The dtr is just a powerhouse that I don't necessarily need, but I for one trust integras builds and that's why I'm looking at that one.
Currently running 2.1, will soon be 5.1 but still majority music (SVS prime center, mordant short ms901 surrounds)

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
I'm not so fond of current Onkyo/Pioneer offerings. I believe this is the last year of the extended warranties for the original 50.3 (from back in 2011 or so), so keep that in mind; at least that has Audyssey if you want it. Personally I'd also look at Denon/Marantz, they're not on your list?

ps Here's the AH article on the 50.3 https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/integra-dtr-50.3-preview
I should correct myself, the 50.4, not that it changes much. I've been keeping an eye on acc4less as my budget goes. Marantz/denon overall I have nothing against just typically a little over my dollar. Short question is (I know its discussed all the time) but the power stand point, mostly looking for an opinion to steer me straight. I do get the difference between 80 and 135 would be less than 2db, but how much less strain on the amp would it be, or just ignore that side all together?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I should correct myself, the 50.4, not that it changes much. I've been keeping an eye on acc4less as my budget goes. Marantz/denon overall I have nothing against just typically a little over my dollar. Short question is (I know its discussed all the time) but the power stand point, mostly looking for an opinion to steer me straight. I do get the difference between 80 and 135 would be less than 2db, but how much less strain on the amp would it be, or just ignore that side all together?
Hard to know if you plan on straining the amp on a regular basis or infrequently as you don't mention the levels/distances you're listening at, and will depend somewhat on the speakers you have now vs the future... Is this a main system, for the bedroom or ?

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Hard to know if you plan on straining the amp on a regular basis or infrequently as you don't mention the levels/distances you're listening at, and will depend somewhat on the speakers you have now vs the future... Is this a main system, for the bedroom or ?
Will be a main system, about 2000ft3. I don't see myself over 90bd more at 70-80. 15'. 80w should get me to 95db. I think I'm confusing myself with peaks, if I'm listening at 80db I don't need tons of power, but with peaks in movies or music, can't the speakers demand way more than at times? I will be using the ultra books for mains.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
If it blows up, it the most expensive of purchases. I would not touch those Integra's with a barge pole.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
If it blows up, it the most expensive of purchases. I would not touch those Integra's with a barge pole.
I've owned quite a few, new and used, never had an issue.
I've had a few marantz and nad with cold solder issues on the ps. integra has always held up for me, it's where my luck is at lol. As onkyo goes, or any avr, heat is the #1 killer. Don't get me wrong, onkyo screwed up, but placing them in small tv stands and letting them bake was not helping the situation. Most integras state to leave 8" all around, (so 33" wide 16" tall and 26" deep) that's one heck of a cabinet to put that in, most people ignore that and do what they want. I left my 7.8 in the open and it still got fairly hot, I couldn't imagine that thing thrown inside a closed cabinet, probably would have died in an hr.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Will be a main system, about 2000ft3. I don't see myself over 90bd more at 70-80. 15'. 80w should get me to 95db. I think I'm confusing myself with peaks, if I'm listening at 80db I don't need tons of power, but with peaks in movies or music, can't the speakers demand way more than at times? I will be using the ultra books for mains.
The reference listening level for movies is an average of 85dB with allowance for 20dB peaks which is quite loud. I usually listen approx 60-70 dB average myself, trying to be nicer to my ears these days.

87dB speakers at 15' gets you approx 95dB with 80w without boundary reinforcement using an spl calculator so sounds like a typical avr would probably work for you, at least in 2ch mode.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
You would have a little more Dynamic Headroom with a 135 watt ×2 into 8 Ohms as opposed to 80 × 2 @ 8 Ohms. It really wouldn't come into play until you cranked the unit up to reference levels. At say below the 1 to 2 O'clock position on your display dail, volume you probably won't hear much difference between 80 or 135 watts. Now if your speaker's are very sensitive 90 to 97 sensitivity rating, or more 80 would do just fine. Think Dynamics, output when cranked up loud a good amp comes into play than. So if you like loud a lot, more power is always better than less. Less chance of frying a tweeter or driver.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
At under $500, the Sony STR-DN1080 gets my vote. I recently compared my unit to an Onkyo TX-RZ720 and the Sony still comes out on top in terms of SQ. Another option is the Denon AVR-X1400 which Best Buy has on sale for $449 right now.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis