In search of loud soundbar with sub pre-out

bmccord

bmccord

Audioholic
Good morning all,

I haven't been here in ages. I'm not even sure my sig is still here but I will make this quick. I used to have a huge, loud AV system. Them my wife and I adopted a greyhound. That was skittish and didn't like loud movies or music. That resulted in us not really watching the crazy loud LFE laden movies. Then we had a baby and it all but collected dust in the family room. Once our kiddo became mobile, I sold every last piece of it of minus the tv and used the cash for an Eames Lounge chair for the den. I then did a ton of research for a temporary sound bar with a wireless sub that was effective but not super expensive in the event a kiddo destroys it. We settled on a Yamaha YAS-203 which completely blew me away how punchy it was as well as musical. It was no AV system by a long strech but I was quite surprised it wasn't as much as a step backwards as I was prepared for it to be. Fast forward to now, we have another child and still rocking the soundbar exept the sub has recently stop auto pairing and has to be manually paired if you want a sub. We have since purchased a 12' wide by 8' tall enterainment center from ikea that we love and arent ready to go full AV system yet nor have the space for it. What I am not looking for is a good, loud soundbar, preferably without a sub but that has an RCA subwoofer preout. My plan is to pair it with an SVS 3000 micro or a SB-2000. We are in the same boat as I don't really want to drop a grand on a soundbar as it is still somewhat temperary until we can dive back into a proper AV system when the kiddo are a little older.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thank you in advance!

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Just about every sound bar that I look at is designed to use a wireless subwoofer from the same manufacturer. Finding one with a sub out will be a challenge, even more so under $1000. The better reviewed units seem to start around $1500 - $2000. Might find something with a little more research but hopefully someone else will chime in as well. No thought of getting an AVR and small bookshelves? There are several good options and you could move the bookshelves as rears or surrounds later and replace the front speakers. Bigger cost up front of course if you want an AVR that will still be adequate in a few years. I understand if the sound bar is a must for now. Just throwing ideas out there.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Found on another forum these recommendations within the last year, although a few are well above your budget, like the Sennheiser:
  • Yamaha YSP-5600.
  • Klipsch Cinema 600.
  • Klipsch Cinema 800 and 1200.
  • Sennheiser Ambeo.
  • Yamaha MusicCast Bar 40. (Be careful with this one - the Bar 400 (effectively same bar, but with bundles wireless sub), doesn't have subwoofer output.)
  • Yamaha YAS-109
  • Yamaha SR-B20A
  • Denon DHT-S216
Looks like Yamaha has the most offerings with subwoofer output.

bmccord

bmccord

Audioholic
Eppie, I greatly appreciate your input. I will take a look into these and go from there. That's quite a list. I'm not against spending more money actually come to think about it because I can always move it to another room when I switch back to a full system. I neglected to mention that my idea was to substantially step up in the base department and find a soundbar that can decently keep up. I truly miss that shake the whole house base and what SVS accomplishes these days is astonishing. I would go with a bigger sub but I only have about an 18" free spot at the edge of my entertainment center and the adjacent wall. On a side note, it looks like I have been here more recently than I thought. My sig is somewhat accurate.

Thanks again!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis