In praise of SMALL form factor PC cases: Why have these not picked up steam in a big way??

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
I am putting this out here since there are significant number of guys who like gaming and music (like myself) on this forum. I still see many guys go with gargantuan blinged out PC cases. Is the existence of small cases not well known?

Here are the benefits I have seen with small PC cases i've been buying for a while now.

- They can fit just like any other hifi component in your hometheater/stereo rack. My current PC case is no bigger than a blu-ray player really, fits in my hifi rack and i plug it into a large 4k tv.
- A small form factor gaming PC is very portable can be taken anywhere easily. When i travelled for work, i'd throw my small desktop PC/bluetooth keyboard/mouse in my hand carry and plug the thing into the hotel room TV. All my games and music came with me.
- There is close to zero advantage from having a large PC for most normal users. Extreme overclocking rambos may not be able to fit some beast mode cooler in it. But, most high performance chips can be put on a mini ITX board in a small case. Small cases cannot accommodate dual GPU crossfire/SLI solutions. But, crossfire/sli is no longer a viable thing and largely a waste of cash in 2020/2021. A good high performance single GPU really is the way to go anymore.
- Small Desktop PCs beat the sht out of expensive high performance gaming laptops any day when it comes to bang for buck performance, cooling, etc. They are so much easier to fix.

For instance, this is my next PC upgrade. I can put a Ryzen 9 5950X chip in this case!! I am currently waiting for AMD's 6800XT or 6900XT GPU to come in stock. With that CPU/GPU combo, this small li'l PC is a 1) portable high performance work horse 2) 4k gaming certified top of the pile gaming rig and c) portable backup repository for most of my music. Look how tiny and cute this thing is (14 by 13 by 3.5 inches)!!
https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Syber-Vapor-Core

If there is a small PC you built/use, what case do you have?

Untitled.png

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
That is a sharp case. I like the black one.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Indeed an interesting case. So what's the total cost on that build you're proposing? I just use laptops til they die myself, don't sit at a desk any more nor do I game so my needs are modest.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I am putting this out here since there are significant number of guys who like gaming and music (like myself) on this forum. I still see many guys go with gargantuan blinged out PC cases. Is the existence of small cases not well known?

Here are the benefits I have seen with small PC cases i've been buying for a while now.

- They can fit just like any other hifi component in your hometheater/stereo rack. My current PC case is no bigger than a blu-ray player really, fits in my hifi rack and i plug it into a large 4k tv.
- A small form factor gaming PC is very portable can be taken anywhere easily. When i travelled for work, i'd throw my small desktop PC/bluetooth keyboard/mouse in my hand carry and plug the thing into the hotel room TV. All my games and music came with me.
- There is close to zero advantage from having a large PC for most normal users. Extreme overclocking rambos may not be able to fit some beast mode cooler in it. But, most high performance chips can be put on a mini ITX board in a small case. Small cases cannot accommodate dual GPU crossfire/SLI solutions. But, crossfire/sli is no longer a viable thing and largely a waste of cash in 2020/2021. A good high performance single GPU really is the way to go anymore.
- Small Desktop PCs beat the sht out of expensive high performance gaming laptops any day when it comes to bang for buck performance, cooling, etc. They are so much easier to fix.

For instance, this is my next PC upgrade. I can put a Ryzen 9 5950X chip in this case!! I am currently waiting for AMD's 6800XT or 6900XT GPU to come in stock. With that CPU/GPU combo, this small li'l PC is a 1) portable high performance work horse 2) 4k gaming certified top of the pile gaming rig and c) portable backup repository for most of my music. Look how tiny and cute this thing is (14 by 13 by 3.5 inches)!!

View attachment 42427
I wish I knew the answer to your question. I have two HTPCs, one medium sized and one very small.

My theater HTPC is the third unit up from the bottom in the first rack. So from the bottom up we have the UPS and then a legacy universal VHS player and then the HTPC.

The HTPC in my wife's system is a very small Intel NUC HTPC. The unit is on the bottom shelf, it is the small grey/silver unit on the left.

I would say that both those units are the most used peripherals in both systems.

In my view these units are the preferred and most versatile means to grab and stream most of what is out there on the NET. I think they are far preferable to ROKU, Nividia and Firestick type of devices. It is just so quick and easy to control them form radio Logitec keyboards.

I fail to understand why most members don't have a good HTPC in their systems. To us they are indispensable.

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
Indeed an interesting case. So what's the total cost on that build you're proposing? I just use laptops til they die myself, don't sit at a desk any more nor do I game so my needs are modest.
If your needs are modest, the core build priced at 785 on that link should do everything hometheater/streaming/basic pc use and 1080p gaming. I would move the CPU up to a Ryzen 7 3700X for a 100 bucks and raise the wattage on the power supply to future proof things a bit.

The Ryzen 9 5950X+6800XT or 6900XT GPU (once they get the new release GPU in stock) is a enthusiast grade 4k gaming rig. I was referring to the possibility of even having a top of the line gaming rig and enthusiast grade performance PC in a small HTPC form factor. It could even power through very demanding engineering simulations etc...whatever you wanna do...

I use a wireless keyboard/mouse (logitech G903 + G613 mech keyboard) and sit on the couch in front of my hometheater speakers/tv for instance. It is a superior experience to being stuck on a laptop. A keyboard doesn't get hot like a laptop and cook your thighs before the lunch hour lol.

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
I wish I knew the answer to your question. I have two HTPCs, one medium sized and one very small.

My theater HTPC is the third unit up from the bottom in the first rack. So from the bottom up we have the UPS and then a legacy universal VHS player and then the HTPC.

The HTPC in my wife's system is a very small Intel NUC HTPC. The unit is on the bottom shelf, it is the small grey/silver unit on the left.

I would say that both those units are the most used peripherals in both systems.

In my view these units are the preferred and most versatile means to grab and stream most of what is out there on the NET. I think they are far preferable to ROKU, Nividia and Firestick type of devices. It is just so quick and easy to control them form radio Logitec keyboards.

I fail to understand why most members don't have a good HTPC in their systems. To us they are indispensable.
Very nice setup you've got.....I agree with ya. My HTPC gets the highest usage out of so many different components i have....Due to the coronavirus remote work from home scenario, it is also my everyday work PC with my speakers blasting all day long. I suppose it is the only plus that came with the coronavirus. I get to sit on my comfortable couch and have the best sound all day long while i'm working on things (GETTIN PAID!)...lol

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If your needs are modest, the core build priced at 785 on that link should do everything hometheater/streaming/basic pc use and 1080p gaming. I would move the CPU up to a Ryzen 7 3700X for a 100 bucks and raise the wattage on the power supply to future proof things a bit.

The Ryzen 9 5950X+6800XT or 6900XT GPU (once they get the new release GPU in stock) is a enthusiast grade 4k gaming rig. I was referring to the possibility of even having a top of the line gaming rig and enthusiast grade performance PC in a small HTPC form factor. It could even power through very demanding engineering simulations etc...whatever you wanna do...

I use a wireless keyboard/mouse (logitech G903 + G613 mech keyboard) and sit on the couch in front of my hometheater speakers/tv for instance. It is a superior experience to being stuck on a laptop. A keyboard doesn't get hot like a laptop and cook your thighs before the lunch hour lol.
Not bad, expected more expense. I use one of these for my laptop
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EP48NMY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1&fpw=alm altho I've not used the mouse, haven't owned a mouse in years, prefer a touch pad.

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
Not bad, expected more expense. I use one of these for my laptop
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EP48NMY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1&fpw=alm altho I've not used the mouse, haven't owned a mouse in years, prefer a touch pad.
The mouse on a higher up dedicated stand (as on the picture) is not very ergonomic (unnecessary shoulder/forearm/wrist strain over longer durations). When you sit on a chair/couch with your shoulders and forearm relaxed, palm resting to your side holding a mouse would be the most ergonomic.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

View attachment 42427
I just think these small form factor PC options got to the game way too late for most people. By the time these became a reasonable option, most people already had work-horse laptops that performed the same role.

I was way ahead of the game in this regard, I guess I was so far ahead that now it kind of looks like I'm behind. I have had my tower PC in my HT system for at least 15 years now! When I first made that decision, you pretty much never saw that at all. My orignal PC died, and a new and improved tower took it's place. But, back then, these small form factors were not a viable option. Perhaps when this tower dies, I will consider a small form factor.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
The way I look at it is from a completely opposite angle, in the living room usability and 10ft interface (NO MOUSE or Tracker - I don't move a cursor on my TV)
Then I ask what could provide me with such usability - Can Kodi installed on top of Windows/Linux x86 box work - Sure it could, but would I need all that horsepower (and inevitably noise) just to play videos? Plus having full-blown general OS would also mean more manual maintenance sooner or later.
I always felt that just like separating audio processing and amplifying into separate boxes provides you with much better flexibility, the same goes for my living room media consumption.
In short, I rather have a small and simple media streamer device in the living room and a bigger server to be hidden away.
I used a bunch of various DIY solutions like various RasPi like boxes, commercial units, including a few FireTV and less known names. As long as I could Plex client running on it - it's generally good enough.
As far as gaming, I won't be the judge of it, as I strickly play PC games on my desktop PC setup, and I can't envision serious PC gaming with a mouse while sitting on the couch.
As for using a handheld controller, might as well just buy one of the new gaming consoles. God knows they are really packed with power nearly matching the high-end gaming pcs of today.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan

View attachment 42427
For a larger well designed case it is fairly easy (well, easier) to make a powerful and silent PC that is air-cooled while for mini-ITX cases that is much more of a challenge as well as more expensive.

I've two small passively cooled mini-ITX PC's that I built seven years ago that are still doing the daily duty of reading mail, browse WWW, Zoom, Excel, VPN to work as well as watching the odd Netflix or HBO movie. They have an ample amount of RAM (16GB), a Samsung Pro SSD (256GB) along with an Intel i7-4770T.

My own PC is a large case with the CPU showing it's age as it was assembled seven years ago. There are fans, but it is silent in normal usage. The CPU is overclocked and undervoltaged (is that a word?) along with Noctua cooler to keep it quiet. High end Noctua PSU as well.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
You've a very nice setup, that's for sure. In my case a Chromecast serves our streaming needs well and is easy to use for all members of my household as well as being very low maintenance and dead silent.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I like large cases. Since I build my PCs, I like having room to work in. I also like having better control over cooling. Small PCs certainly have their place, but if you have the real estate, and you intend to keep your PC in one location, large PC cases are better.

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
I used a bunch of various DIY solutions like various RasPi like boxes, commercial units, including a few FireTV and less known names. As long as I could Plex client running on it - it's generally good enough.
As far as gaming, I won't be the judge of it, as I strickly play PC games on my desktop PC setup, and I can't envision serious PC gaming with a mouse while sitting on the couch.
As for using a handheld controller, might as well just buy one of the new gaming consoles. God knows they are really packed with power nearly matching the high-end gaming pcs of today.
What genre of games do you play?
Have you ever played RPGs, etc on a large 75inch 4k tv on a hardcore hometheater setup with a wireless keyboard/mouse?? It is a extremely immersive experience a.k.a candy for the ears and eyes. Try something visually stunning like Mass Effect Andromeda, Anthem, etc on it and explore some planets. It beats a dedicated desktop and tiny dinky lil desktop monitor anyday. How good does a PC audio 2.1 setup sound anyway? You gotta hear those epic game soundtracks in DTS X with the multitudes of speakers when you're playing!

Do you play fighting games (MK, Tekken, etc)? It is a dead serious genre of gaming man (very mathematical too...think chess on steroids/cocaine). In fact, it is so serious that If you blink for a sec, you may land in a grave. I can sit on my couch (seriously) with my fightsticks hooked up to hometheater PC and work it, no problem...FIGHT ME, FIGHT ME....Lord Raiden's comin for ya!! bwaaahahaha
20201208_113940.jpg

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Have you ever played RPGs, etc on a large 75inch 4k tv on a hardcore hometheater setup with a wireless keyboard/mouse?? It is a extremely immersive experience a.k.a candy for the ears and eyes. Try something visually stunning like Mass Effect Andromeda, Anthem, etc on it and explore some planets. It beats a dedicated desktop and tiny dinky lil desktop monitor anyday. How good does a PC audio 2.1 setup sound anyway? You gotta hear those epic game soundtracks in DTS X with the multitudes of speakers when you're playing!

Do you play fighting games (MK, Tekken, etc)? It is a dead serious genre of gaming man (very mathematical too...think chess on steroids/cocaine). In fact, it is so serious that If you blink for a sec, you may land in a grave. I can sit on my couch (seriously) with my fightsticks hooked up to hometheater PC and work it, no problem...FIGHT ME, FIGHT ME....Lord Raiden's comin for ya!! bwaaahahaha
View attachment 42476
I like games with a good story and engaging game play, and nowadays good graphics and sound is needed to sell the game. One of my favourite games, in number of hours played, is NetHack.

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
For a larger well designed case it is fairly easy (well, easier) to make a powerful and silent PC that is air-cooled while for mini-ITX cases that is much more of a challenge as well as more expensive.

I've two small passively cooled mini-ITX PC's that I built seven years ago that are still doing the daily duty of reading mail, browse WWW, Zoom, Excel, VPN to work as well as watching the odd Netflix or HBO movie. They have an ample amount of RAM (16GB), a Samsung Pro SSD (256GB) along with an Intel i7-4770T.

My own PC is a large case with the CPU showing it's age as it was assembled seven years ago. There are fans, but it is silent in normal usage. The CPU is overclocked and undervoltaged (is that a word?) along with Noctua cooler to keep it quiet. High end Noctua PSU as well.
There are some dead quiet fans these days.

What's the highest performance chip you've been able to cool passively?

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
I like games with a good story and engaging game play, and nowadays good graphics and sound is needed to sell the game. One of my favourite games, in number of hours played, is NetHack.
Yes, there are many mindless games out there that need to compensate with the graphical rain.

However, Mass Effect and Anthem are both BIOWARE's recent creations. Jade Empire, Neverwinternights, etc is their old stuff. As far as RPGs go, they were the masters of storytelling in that genre for a while. The only Dev who's done better than them is CD Projekt Red perhaps (Witcher series, Cyberpunk)

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
There are some dead quiet fans these days.

What's the highest performance chip you've been able to cool passively?
It's seven years ago I assembled them and it was a Intel I7-4770T and the iGPU is used.

For new PC's with more demand for high performance GPU I'll probably not go passively cooled.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

View attachment 42476
I do play mainly RPGs. Witcher 3 alone my steam client says I have near 800 hours in it.
Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2.
I finished Disco Elysium recently - was a bit disappointed with a fairly short story. I really like Witcher like 100h+ gameplay.
Fighting games? Gawd, No. No way amiho. Just to try to remember even one finishing key combo is way to much for me.
As far as TV vs Monitor, I have dual Samsung CHG70 27" (144hz, 1440p) monitors, while my living room TV is bigger at 55" (and since it's plasma even faster), but I sit much further away from it, so monitor provides me with much wider field-of-view

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis