In need of a new 7.1 channel receiver

T

Taylorb.u

Audiophyte
Hey everyone, this is probably a two part question but I’ll do my best at explaining my situation.

I recently had my Pioneer Elite VSX 94TXH 7.1 receiver stop delivering a signal from its HDMI “out” port. I’ve tried to wiggle and reposition it in hopes it would work to no avail. Is there a way I can fix the port itself?

If there’s no solution to fixing the issue, is there a comparable model receiver any of you can recommend? I currently have a 5.1 set up but would eventually like to add SL and SR speakers to complete a 7.1. My speakers and sub are all Polk audio. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Have you tried a different cable?
Also, I assume you sbr and sbl? If you’re 5.1 you should be connected to the “surround” speaker outputs and not the “rear surround”.

T

Taylorb.u

Audiophyte
Yes, I’m connected to “surround” and not “rear surround”. I have also tried another cable as well. I got the receiver pretty cheap and that port was always a little loose since I bought it.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, I’m connected to “surround” and not “rear surround”. I have also tried another cable as well. I got the receiver pretty cheap and that port was always a little loose since I bought it.
If the port itself is loose then it's possible that one or more of the solder joints worked themselves loose and you broke a physical connection. Resoldering or replacing the jack might fix things but no guarantee without knowing whether the HDMI board went bad. Not a repair I would recommend unless you have previous experience repairing electronic equipment. Maybe ask for a quote on having the port resoldered or replaced but it may end up being wasted money if the board itself is at fault.

T

Taylorb.u

Audiophyte
If the port itself is loose then it's possible that one or more of the solder joints worked themselves loose and you broke a physical connection. Resoldering or replacing the jack might fix things but no guarantee without knowing whether the HDMI board went bad. Not a repair I would recommend unless you have previous experience repairing electronic equipment. Maybe ask for a quote on having the port resoldered or replaced but it may end up being wasted money if the board itself is at fault.
Thanks for getting back to me! Do you have suggestions on what receiver I should look into getting if I can’t repair this one?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That would have worried me from the start, an iffy hdmi port, especially the primary output. I don't know about digging out that board for a diy repair, either.....I wouldn't attempt it unless it is easily accessible at the least, plus my soldering skills are not the greatest.

If you can't get it repaired and do go shopping, how much do you want to spend?

T

Taylorb.u

Audiophyte
That would have worried me from the start, an iffy hdmi port, especially the primary output. I don't know about digging out that board for a diy repair, either.....I wouldn't attempt it unless it is easily accessible at the least, plus my soldering skills are not the greatest.

If you can't get it repaired and do go shopping, how much do you want to spend?
I would be willing to spend between $400-$800

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Have you tried a different cable?
Also, I assume you sbr and sbl? If you’re 5.1 you should be connected to the “surround” speaker outputs and not the “rear surround”.
Ok. Had to ask since you mentioned adding SL and SR speakers(surround right and left).

Might be worth finding a replacement hdmi board and replacing the whole thing, although I’m not 100% sure of everything involved. I’m pretty good at soldering, but I don’t think you can de solder and resolder from what I’m sure is a multilayered pcb, with multiple pins without the proper gear.
I might take this time to get a new Atmos capable AVR and go that way. Even 5.1.2 is better than 7.1. I went from 5.3 to 7.3 to 7.3.4. The most subtle upgrade was from 5.3 to 7.3.
However, if you can get a whole new board in there for cheap enough, then I’d recommend the money going to a subwoofer upgrade!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I would be willing to spend between $400-$800
In that case I'd look at repair harder :) You would not get the amp section you have now for that price on new gear, as that sort of amp level doesn't usually come on any but the higher end models of avrs.....then there's the question of how much power you use/need. Used gear, you'd have to look around.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for getting back to me! Do you have suggestions on what receiver I should look into getting if I can’t repair this one?
Most people would say Yamaha or Denon for under $1K. Some might include Sony.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The HDMI OUT port is on the bottom of a vertical row of HDMI ports. It will require a bit of digging to get to it. It is also about a fifteen year old HDMI 1.3a specced unit. So, I’d just move onto a new unit supporting HDMI 2.0/2.1, HDCP 2.2/2.3, Dolby Atmos and DTS:X for the height speakers option as was mentioned.

The new HDMI and HDCP specs will be required for any new devices and TV in the system that support 4K and HDR. Even if repaired, the Pioneer will limit any connected devices to 1080p SDR.

If considering another used and/or refurbished unit, Accessories4Less has units available from Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Pioneer and Yamaha. A few models come with three year warranties.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I can recommend if you can still find it is the Denon AVR-960H. One thing I like is that the surrounds sound great with this receiver.
edit: $499 on Amazon right now!

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
I might suggest a new Denon AVR. There could be a cold solder joint in your existing unit. Good luck on what you decide.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis