In-ceiling surround speakers recommendations

rockhound100bopd

rockhound100bopd

Junior Audioholic
I am in the process of building my first entertainment system.

I started with some used Infinity Primus 150 shelf speakers and Primus C25 center. Then I got a new Denon X1700H reciever and a SVS pb1000 sub. The way my basement is set up it will be hard to run wires through the ceiling and down the opposite wall for one of the surrounds, but in-cieling surrounds might be easier.

I'm not wanting to break the bank,, but $200-$300 could work. What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai

I started with some used Infinity Primus 150 shelf speakers and Primus C25 center. Then I got a new Denon X1700H reciever and a SVS pb1000 sub. The way my basement is set up it will be hard to run wires through the ceiling and down the opposite wall for one of the surrounds, but in-cieling surrounds might be easier.

I'm not wanting to break the bank,, but $200-$300 could work. What are your thoughts?

Thanks!
I have a system with in-ceiling surrounds (it was in my house at the time I bought it) and two systems with bookshelf surrounds at ear height. At least in my systems, the in-ceiling speakers are far inferior to the bookshelf speakers. The in-ceiling speakers provide a little background noise but there's very little discernible surround effect (i.e. almost no directional effect).

I believe there are some directional in-ceiling speakers that are (as I understand it) designed to be spaced further out on either side of the listening area and direct the sound at an angle towards the listening area to hopefully provide some directional effects. I've never looked into them so I know very little about them. Hopefully someone else here on AH who know more about them will see this thread and provide their input.

Based on my limited experience with in-ceiling speakers, I try really hard to avoid them for surrounds.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Agree with mr Clark.
Is there a to hide the wires under the baseboard trim? I have done this a LOT.

rockhound100bopd

rockhound100bopd

Junior Audioholic
Agree with mr Clark.
Is there a to hide the wires under the baseboard trim? I have done this a LOT.
Not for one side, we I have a wood burning stove to the right of my TV that has tile on the floor and walls for heat. The only thing I could think of is putting it under the carpet along the tack strip.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Not for one side, we I have a wood burning stove to the right of my TV that has tile on the floor and walls for heat. The only thing I could think of is putting it under the carpet along the tack strip.
If you absolutely have to mount the surrounds in or to the ceiling, I'd look into ceiling (bracket) mounts:

1641051487370.png

I have no experience with these particular mounts, it's just an example for purposes of discussion.

If the speakers have to be in-ceiling, I'd look into directional speakers:

I'm not recommending these particular speakers, but I have been fairly happy with the Monoprice speakers I've bought given the modest cost. I'm sure there are many other speakers with similar design. In the Q&A for the above, here's an answer posted in response to a question about using them as rear surrounds:

>>>I'm using them as my rear surrounds and they work great, though even at the minimum angle you have to make sure you have the right distance for them to focus properly on where you're sitting. I think mine aren't quite far back enough, so are focused slightly in front of my prime sitting location, but it hasn't been enough to be a distraction, and I think the angle is still much better than if I'd just had flat speakers in the wall behind me.<<<

Getting the speakers positioned far enough to the side (or rear for rear surrounds) seems to be the main challenge with this type of speaker.

Personally, I'd favor ceiling mounts with conventional bookshelf speakers. First, there are many decent budget bookshelf speakers to choose from and I strongly suspect you'd get better sound at any given price point with bookshelf speakers. Second, ceiling mounts will position the speakers lower so they do not have to be as far off to the sides at a given angle. And, of course, you can adjust the angle of the ceiling mounts to get the angle right even if you do have to mount them closer to the listening position.

These are just my initial thoughts. I have not tried directional ceiling speakers or ceiling mounts.

Last edited:
M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
For what it's worth, I have a pair of JBL Studio 220 speakers I'm using as surrounds in one of my systems.

These are decent speakers for the price, provided you don't need much bass (the JBL website lists the frequency response as 60 Hz – 22 kHz, but my ears tell me there's not much response at 60 Hz and below)(I've never actually measured them). They were $139.95 on sale at the time I bought them, but you might be able to get them for less if you keep watching (JBL runs some really good sales from time to time). They have been unavailable for some time. I probably wouldn't use them in a large room even as surrounds, and I definitely wouldn't use them as mains except in a desktop system.

rockhound100bopd

rockhound100bopd

Junior Audioholic
So in the spirit of the rabbit hole, I'm thinking about using my current primus 150 shelves as my surrounds and getting some good used primus 250 tower speakers for the fronts, or something similar. Will my denon x1700h be big enough for these?

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Your Denon should be fine driving them. But make certain to mount the 150s at ear level if you want to get surround sound.

rockhound100bopd

rockhound100bopd

Junior Audioholic
The way my room is set up, it wouldn't be practical to have the left surround at ear level (the right could work that way, but wouldn't that be weird having one at ear level and the other not?). What is the thought on using some atmos speakers on the wall, directed downward toward the listener (Klipsch R-14SA). Could I tell the reciever that these are at ear level or would I need to tell it they are actually an atmos speaker?

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic

Thanks!
It is best to not substitute surround speakers with in-ceiling. But, for the atmos height channels themselves, many forum members here will be in high praise of in-ceiling speakers. But, before you start cutting holes in your ceiling, watch this video from a really smart guy who knows a whole lot more about this stuff than anyone around here. He makes a very key point in this video.

I am one of those guys who listened very carefully to the smart guy on this video, took his advice and went with upfiring atmos modules for my current atmos setup and limited basement flat ceiling height of 9 ft. I will add 4 height speakers for Auro when i am Auro enabled in the future and device a solution to easily switch back and forth between upfirng modules to height speakers (but, i have nixed the in-ceiling speaker route, not for me).

Watch the impending fireworks on its way from the ceiling hole gophers on this thread now ;).

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It is best to not substitute surround speakers with in-ceiling. But, for the atmos height channels themselves, many forum members here will be in high praise of in-ceiling speakers. But, before you start cutting holes in your ceiling, watch this video from a really smart guy who knows a whole lot more about this stuff than anyone around here. He makes a very key point in this video.

I am one of those guys who listened very carefully to the smart guy on this video, took his advice and went with upfiring atmos modules for my current atmos setup and limited basement flat ceiling height of 9 ft. I will add 4 height speakers for Auro when i am Auro enabled in the future and device a solution to easily switch back and forth between upfirng modules to height speakers (but, i have nixed the in-ceiling speaker route, not for me).

Watch the impending fireworks on its way from the ceiling hole gophers on this thread now ;).
Can you make a single post without childish jabs?

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
Can you make a single post without childish jabs?
I sure did come across a previous thread on this topic and noticed how well it went with all the forum in-ceiling children. Hence, it was just a warning to the OP on a not so popular idea around here.

But, it sure is good to hear that you're all grown up and more refined now!

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
I realize this was a rhetorical question, but I think you got your answer (no).
The hard truths can be hard to soak in...Soak it in for now...Try not to pretend that you're all that sophisticated (
it's no secret that forum drones resort to strength in numbers when it's a case of stupid)

Last edited:
M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
The hard truths can be hard to soak in...Soak it in for now...Try not to pretend that you're all that sophisticated (
it's no secret that forum drones resort to strength in numbers when it's a case of stupid)
Thanks for confirming that the answer is "no."

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Thanks!
Hey! One thing I learned is having speakers built with an angle helps like this

g0913HC5LCR-F-1.jpg

The Focal 300 series now that's out of your price range but monoprices makes one in its alpha lineup that is within your budget

These types of speakers work better as LCR or surrounds up in the ceiling now it's not as ideal as having then in the proper positions but it's a good compromise

I'm actually waiting on the Focals to arrive for my theater room I'm using them for atmos to fix a problem with my atmos setup

Good luck whatever you choose!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
OP
Can you post some pictures of that room so we can get a better mental image of the troubling issues?

Last edited:
rockhound100bopd

rockhound100bopd

Junior Audioholic
OP
Can you post some pictures of that room so we can get a better mental image of the troubling issues?
I tried uploading a picture but it tells me the file is too large...Is there a fix to this?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis